Author Topic: 'Nother confuser question  (Read 2941 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
'Nother confuser question
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »
Maybe it's more than one question.

Since the death of my wife, I have a lot more computer stuff in the house than I have people (just myself). There's her old desktop (in the basement, unused - WinXP), my current desktop (WinXP), a new desktop still in the box (Win7), my old notebook (WinXP), my wife's notebook (Win7), and my new notebook (Win7).

There are also two laser printers (multifunction machines) and two inkjets (also multifunction).

What I would like to do is be able to access all (or at least some) of the printers from any of the computers -- especially if I'm working on a notebook at the dining room table and the printers are in other parts of the house. The question is how best to accomplish this.

I have an AT&T DSL WiFi modem/router that offers four ports. Two are already in use by my desktop and my wife's notebook. Two are available. I also have a large-ish device that's a flat metal box with a bazillion network ports. I don't understand the distinctions between a router, a switch, and a hub, but I think this was described as a switch by the guy who gave it to me.

Can I use any of this stuff to get access to printers from other rooms without having to go through other computers? Or do I need to head over to Wal-Mart and buy some sort of Netgear something-or-other?

TIA
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: 'Nother confuser question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
The box will likely be the switch the guy said it was, or a hub, which for your purposes won't really matter as either will work if you need the ports.

For the printers, you'll need to post printer model numbers as that will help the APS nerds figure out your options.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
The nerds can help, I'm sure.

But I gotta say the easiest way is probably to sell some of the extra stuff, and use that to buy a printer with built in Wi-Fi.  Then put it on your network.  They are sub $200 now, and pretty easy to set up. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
The nerds can help, I'm sure.

But I gotta say the easiest way is probably to sell some of the extra stuff, and use that to buy a printer with built in Wi-Fi.  Then put it on your network.  They are sub $200 now, and pretty easy to set up. 

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX922-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B00AVWKUJS

We don't do intensive printing, but this has been working well for us for almost a year now. Under $100. (Even less if you can catch a sale.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
I also use a Canon PIXMA. (Different model, I don't recall which) that sits by itself in a corner on wifi.  I can print to it from the desktop, laptops, tablets, and my new cellphone.  convienent.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »
I have seen a local printer set up as shared on a desktop and set up so other computers sent print jobs through that desktop.  I am not sure how the network has to be set up to do that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »
I have seen a local printer set up as shared on a desktop and set up so other computers sent print jobs through that desktop.  I am not sure how the network has to be set up to do that.

That's easy -- for one printer. I've done that and I could do it again. But ... I have four printers, and each serves a distinct purpose. They are not interchangeable, and none of them can be replaced by a cheap $100 printer. I need to set at least two of them up as network printers, not shared printers.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:47 PM »
Can I use any of this stuff to get access to printers from other rooms without having to go through other computers? Or do I need to head over to Wal-Mart and buy some sort of Netgear something-or-other?

Kind-of need to know make and model of these printers, so we can look them up.  Some very inexpensive printers don't like to be anything but directly cabled from the computer you're printing from.

Here's how I would do it, if you're printers support it.   Any printer these days that costs over (Oh, I think) $125 or so, already has an ethernet interface.  Cable them directly to your switch.  If they don't have an ethernet port, get a print server with a USB interface.  They're not expensive.  (But first, check to see that the printer can be run this way).  If the printer has neither ethernet nor usb, dispose of it.  It's ancient.

Set your network addresses on the printers static, and outside your DHCP range.  On each computer, set up the printers to print to that IP address.

My way, done right, is rock solid reliable.

Wireless printing, the way I usually see it done, isn't (IMHO, YMMV) as reliable.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
If the printer has an Ethernet connector, cable it to the router.  If the router does not have enough ports, add a switch or a hub.  Use a static IP address for the printer.  (I know someone else already suggested all this, I'm agreeing with them)

If the printer does not have Ethernet, connect it to a desktop computer that's on the network (wireless or cabled) and configure it to be shared, and all the other computers will be able to access it over the network.

I prefer to have printers connected directly to the network w/o using a server, because then the printer is available even when the server is down.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 05:38:26 PM »
I would be willing to buy one of those computers from you and have it sent to an APS guru, to install Linux(or the like) along with an Office type program/software (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.  Although the PP is optional).

I would also pay for freight and the installation.

If you are not willing to part with a machine.  I do have a Toshiba lap-top I would like to convert to Linux(or the like).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
I read somewhere recently that you can continue getting security updates for Win XP with a simple registry edit that tricks MS Update into thinking you're running one of the server versions.  (If I'd known that a year or two ago, I might not have upgraded the church computer from XP to 7)
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
I read somewhere recently that you can continue getting security updates for Win XP with a simple registry edit that tricks MS Update into thinking you're running one of the server versions. (If I'd known that a year or two ago, I might not have upgraded the church computer from XP to 7)

XP Embedded, I think, whose EOL is much later than XP's.

Server '03's end of life is in 3 months.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:19:07 PM by lee n. field »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 11:12:20 PM »
I guess I'll try the switch as a printer handler.

I was at a class this evening and I'm too tired to look up the names of all the printers -- I'll do that tomorrow. But I walked past the box for the newest inkjet (an Epson that prints Super D size) and noticed that it supports WiFi. That alone may carry me over the hump, because that's the one I'm most concerned about accessing from multiple computers.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 02:18:33 AM »
We've got an older laser printer that doesn't natively support wireless networking.  Bought a cheap wireless print server, attached it to the printer and viola! it shows up on the LAN and we're able to print to it from any of the wired or wireless machines.

Did have to install the print server software on the wireless machines.  It's been hands-off for a couple of years now (hope I didn't jinx something by writing that).

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 09:31:15 AM »
Don't worry about messing with the switch.  Any printer connected to your network can be made accessible to all other printers on the network. Change the computer network setting as available to other devices on the network, then make each printer available to other devices on the network. Install printer drivers for each printer on your other devices and you should be good to go. This presumes all the printers are USB.

Easiest thing would be to hang all four printers off one machine. Any computer set up for with a network-access printer will need power settings changed to keep network and printer services active during hibernation. Having all printers on a single machine makes power management easier. Other than that it should be pretty straightforward.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:45:22 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:23 AM »
XP Embedded, I think, whose EOL is much later than XP's.

Server '03's end of life is in 3 months.

Since I still have two machines running XP and I would prefer to avoid the work of upgrading them to Win7, does anyone have specifics on how to accomplish this little tweak?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
Since I still have two machines running XP and I would prefer to avoid the work of upgrading them to Win7, does anyone have specifics on how to accomplish this little tweak?

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2226994/microsoft-subnet/registry-hack-enables-free-windows-xp-security-updates-until-2019.html

I haven't tested it yet.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
Don't worry about messing with the switch.  Any printer connected to your network can be made accessible to all other printers on the network. Change the computer network setting as available to other devices on the network, then make each printer available to other devices on the network. Install printer drivers for each printer on your other devices and you should be good to go. This presumes all the printers are USB.

Easiest thing would be to hang all four printers off one machine. Any computer set up for with a network-access printer will need power settings changed to keep network and printer services active during hibernation. Having all printers on a single machine makes power management easier. Other than that it should be pretty straightforward.

Brad

That's an option, and one I have used here and there for friends, but it requires a computer to be on all the time. If one or more of HM's printers has an ethernet card, as mentioned above, it would keep the printers active regardless of if computers are on or off. Or the wi-fi, which can also make the printer "stand alone".

I'm one of the dinosaurs that prefers cabled connections, but I have wi-fi setup at my dad's and it is really convenient when someone visiting wants to print something from their phone or whatever, and wi-fi is probably the best option for what HM wants to do.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »
Maybe it's more than one question.

Since the death of my wife, I have a lot more computer stuff in the house than I have people (just myself). There's her old desktop (in the basement, unused - WinXP), my current desktop (WinXP), a new desktop still in the box (Win7), my old notebook (WinXP), my wife's notebook (Win7), and my new notebook (Win7).

There are also two laser printers (multifunction machines) and two inkjets (also multifunction).

What I would like to do is be able to access all (or at least some) of the printers from any of the computers -- especially if I'm working on a notebook at the dining room table and the printers are in other parts of the house. The question is how best to accomplish this.

I have an AT&T DSL WiFi modem/router that offers four ports. Two are already in use by my desktop and my wife's notebook. Two are available. I also have a large-ish device that's a flat metal box with a bazillion network ports. I don't understand the distinctions between a router, a switch, and a hub, but I think this was described as a switch by the guy who gave it to me.

TIA

Just go another computer.
Start menu, go to Printers, right click on printer, select Printer Properties, click on Sharing tab, check Share this Printer.
Go to any other computer, either go to \\PCNAMEHERE , right click on printer, click Connect or go to Printers, Add Printer, add a networked/wireless/Bluetooth printer.

Synology NAS, virtually any Asus router, etc can also act as printer servers. Most routers can do this, some ISP modems, some residential switches/hubs.

Or buy a networked printer.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
Printer inventory:

H-P Laserjet 1536dnf MFP

H-P Officejet Pro 8500

Sharp AL 1641CS

Epson WF 7620

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
I didn't look any of them up, but right off the bat, the "n" in "dnf" on the HP means it's ethernet ready. If you plug it in to your router or switch and download and run the universal HP installer on at least one computer, you'll be good to go on that printer. On your other computers, you can then just add the networked printer in windows. Though if you have problems doing it with XP, you can just run the HP installer on each machine.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »
Printer inventory:

H-P Laserjet 1536dnf MFP

What Ben said.  The "d" in the name means it has a duplexer, which is a cool thing to have if it work OK.

Though I wouldn't do it the way he said he' do it.

H-P Officejet Pro 8500

upport.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-8500-All-in-One-Printer-series---A9/3752454/model/3752455/document/c01657988/

"Embedded networking"

Sharp AL 1641CS

Manual says USB (1) and parallel port.  No ethernet.  Parallel port tells me this is old.  May or may not be worth messing with.

Epson WF 7620

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CC97201

" Standard Connectivity:

Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    Wireless (802.11 b/g/n)4
    Wired Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
    Wi-Fi Direct4
"

Three out of the four are good to go as they are.   You got a whole bunch of multifunction printers here.  Do you need them all?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »
Though I wouldn't do it the way he said he' do it.

There are definitely better ways to do it. I set them up static through windows myself, but I wasn't sure how much time Hawkmoon wants to put into it so went with the easy way. In the work days once in a while Windows wouldn't recognize the printer and I'd use the HP universal installer, which at the time was bloatware free and just found the printer on the network and installed drivers. Super easy for a novice to do.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 10:13:57 PM »
I want to do it the best way, not the easiest way. That said, I obviously don't know what I'm doing so doing it any way at all is going to be a learning curve for me.

I DON'T want any of them accessible only through another computer that has to be on at all times in order to access the printer. Unbelievably, the State set us up in a field office with a network printer serving twenty-plus people, running through one guy's computer. He occasionally turns off his computer ... much hilarity ensues. (I realize that's apparently the only way I can make the Sharp available -- not the end of the world.)

Do I need them all? The Sharp is somewhat redundant. The other three I need.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
Here's the print server I used:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DF2LT/ref%3Dasc_df_B0000DF2LT2439767/%3Ftag%3Daskcom05el-20%26creative%3D394997%26creativeASIN%3DB0000DF2LT%26linkCode%3Dasn

Don't remember it being that $$$.  There are a couple other servers listed at the top of the page at Amazon which seem to be more inline with what I'd be willing to pay.

It's a stand-alone thing, no dedicated computer needed.