Author Topic: Marquette Univ. students demand "White Privilege" classes  (Read 5035 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Marquette Univ. students demand "White Privilege" classes
« on: May 02, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/22268/

MARQUETTE ‘STUDENTS OF COLOR’ SAY THEY’RE OPPRESSED, DEMAND ‘WHITE PRIVILEGE’ CLASSES

Just based on the headline I was stunned by the notion that "students of color" want to learn how to be white and priveleged.

Oh, how wrong I was.

The group of students is also upset over the university’s longtime seal, which includes an image of its namesake Rev. Jacques Marquette, the French-Jesuit missionary whose 17th-century travels helped map Milwaukee and the Midwest.

The seal includes a standing Marquette pointing in a canoe with an American Indian sitting and holding an oar, an image that appears to have been inspired by an old painting of the explorer. But the student coalition has decried the seal as a “biased and impartial narrative” and have demanded the image be cropped or altered.

Because, as far as the “Ad Hoc Coalition of and for Students of Color” is concerned, “discriminatory violence” is defined as “physical harassment, language, exclusion or imagery that targets an individual or group based upon their race, gender, sex, class, national or cultural identities,” the campus newspaper The Marquette Wire reports.

With that, the seal must fall under what the group contends is the “discriminatory violence-imagery” category.

A private Jesuit university is being raked over the coals because their namesake trespassed the daylights out of the land of those who had come and not only trespassed but forcefully evicted the previous inhabitants.

One obviously black, one probably Native American, one obviously white and the 4th probably white.  And yet nobody is demonstrating against white privelege taking over the diversity protest?

I would have been so much happier if it turned out to be what I thought it was about.

The Left has made The Onion and Duffle Blog, as the Brits say, redundant.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Marquette Univ. students demand "White Privilege" classes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »
They need to be told that they're not in a position to make a demand.  STFU or GTFO, and either is acceptable.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:33:29 AM »
Marquette is quickly emerging as the laughingstock of WI universities. This downward spiral started about 20 years ago when they changed their sports moniker from 'Warriors' to freaking 'Golden Eagles' for politically correct reasons- like a few over privileged liberal suburban white students thought it was degrading to Indians.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:40:22 AM »
Marquette is quickly emerging as the laughingstock of WI universities.

Now that is impressive.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cbkiteflyer

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 08:08:35 AM »
But the student coalition has decried the seal as a “biased and impartial narrative” and have demanded the image be cropped or altered.

How can a narrative be both biased and impartial?!    Morons...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »
^ Heh.  Was going to jump on that one, too.  Glad I read the rest of the thread and saw you beat me to it.

"Crop the image?"  Sounds like revisionist history to me.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »
Marquette is quickly emerging as the laughingstock of WI universities. This downward spiral started about 20 years ago when they changed their sports moniker from 'Warriors' to freaking 'Golden Eagles' for politically correct reasons- like a few over privileged liberal suburban white students thought it was degrading to Indians.
Which is dumb since the Warriors were the ultimate symbol for the Native Americans. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
Which is dumb since the Warriors were the ultimate symbol for the Native Americans. 
According to the liberal white narrative, they were peaceful child-like people who lived in harmony with nature.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
According to the liberal white narrative, they were peaceful child-like people who lived in harmony with nature.
I guess all the early explorers who ran into them must have taught them all that violence and fighting stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

Of course they were. That explains perfectly why the Hopi refer to the Navajo as "skull breakers."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »
There is no such thing as THE native American people as a singular entity.

There were a lot of tribes and they ran the gamut from bloodthirsty sadists to quite and peaceful.

Conquering lands and peoples was the norm back then for pretty much the whole planet.

Western civilization has proven to be better organized at it than most others.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
And now the virus spreads to Dartmouth

Students at Dartmouth College launched a petition drive demanding the newly-elected student body president resign after they say he was disrespectful to the plight of American blacks and other marginalized groups.

The twist: The president is a gay black man.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/07/calls-for-resignation-of-dartmouths-gay-black-president-video/

Not much of the exchange can be made out, other than Cunningham at one point shouting the protesters’ chant “I Can’t Breathe” back at them. Shortly afterwards, bystanders separate Cunningham from the protesters without any further escalation.

Nonetheless, the protesters have launched a petition effort demanding that Cunningham immediately resign for intimidating a smaller woman and for “appropriating” the words “I can’t breathe.”

Don't expect me to try and make sense out of it.  Just go read the article and watch the video.  And them clear away beverages and breakables before you read the comments.

stay safe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »
And now the virus spreads to Dartmouth

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/07/calls-for-resignation-of-dartmouths-gay-black-president-video/

Don't expect me to try and make sense out of it.  Just go read the article and watch the video.  And them clear away beverages and breakables before you read the comments.

stay safe.

This going to be delicious!

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
The good news is that internecine warfare/fratricide is accelerating within SJW circles because the bigoted intolerant "outside world" from the echo chambers and academia isn't generating outrage and victimhood-empowerment fast enough.

Or just as likely, they're just too lazy to leave their areas of operation and really go looking for it.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »
The local school is competing
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Student-Group-Claims-Sex-Bias-by-Va-University-302923711.html#

The reason Mary Ball College at Fredericksburg was cut loose was because it was dragging down the reputation and scholarship of the parent organization.  Now they want OCR to "secure the assurances of compliance with Title IX from UMW".  As if UMW was ever going to say, "Heck, no, we don't believe in that crap.  Compliance?  Never happen."

Not to mention the liklihood that the Feminist Majority Foundation fail to realize that by their very name they are suspect for violating the Title IX rights of male students at MWU.  (If female students are "coeds" are male sudents "eds"?)  Or that MWH is already under the gun for discriminating against the "eds" in sports activities? (No male field hockey team even when the guys promised to wear the skirts to preserve the traditions of the game - and no coed field hockey.  That's just the big one I recall.)

I would pay good money to see MWU block Yik-Yak or any other social media.  The aftermath would make Little Big Horn + Wounded Knee look like a church social.

stay safe.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 11:11:53 PM »
Where is the "Oh, heck, not more of that *expletive*it" smiley?

http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/12/trigger-warning-mythology

In Columbia University's student newspaper, four members of the school's student Multicultural Affairs Advisory Board call on professors to be more sensitive when teaching provocative or controversial material... such as the Roman classical poet Ovid.

A rather useful suggestion is offered:
if the mere discussion of rape causes this student to feel panicked and physically unsafe—than she needs help treating severe post pre-traumatic stress disorder, not a *expletive deleted*ing trigger warning.
  [edited for accuracy]

stay safe.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »
Where is the "Oh, heck, not more of that *expletive*it" smiley?

http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/12/trigger-warning-mythology

A rather useful suggestion is offered:  [edited for accuracy]

stay safe.

Clearly those four have never read the Tiberius part of Suetonius. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
If I were a parent paying $50k/year to send my kid to Marquette, there would be a serious 'come to Jesus' intervention if I found out they took a white privilege course.

Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
You wanna chuckle? I know a guy got into William and mary. (Legacy )
Dropped out first week got them to refund tuition to him and followed the grateful dead for a semester.  His folks were pissed
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re:
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 06:27:30 AM »
You wanna chuckle? I know a guy got into William and mary. (Legacy )
Dropped out first week got them to refund tuition to him and followed the grateful dead for a semester.  His folks were pissed

An economics major!  And probably got a better (real world) education than if he had stayed.

stay safe.