Author Topic: How Old Do You Look?  (Read 4562 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
How Old Do You Look?
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
 A new Microsoft site tries to guess your age, or at least your apparent age. They admit it still needs some work. I tried with a few images and got a range. One, when I was 51, guessed me at 53, and another, when I was 40, guessed me at 29. Apparently I'm not aging well.  :laugh:

http://how-old.net/#
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: How Old Do You Look?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
Mine was exactly my age- 27.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:45:27 PM »
I'm 42.  I'm frequently told I look younger than I am.

A recent photo was judged to be 24.

A pic taken in 2010 was judged to be 23

A pic taken on my honeymoon, 14 years ago, was judged to be 39.  I was 30lbs heavier than I am now though. 

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
They kept telling me to try another photo........... ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:32:36 PM »
^ Heh.

Said this one was 25, and "Sorry if we didn't get the gender right."

Hm.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
Page thought I was 39 in one photo. 37 in another. I'm not even 30 yet. Must be the beard. :old:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »
They kept telling me to try another photo........... ???

Me too
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
Page thought I was 39 in one photo. 37 in another. I'm not even 30 yet. Must be the beard. :old:

I'm surprised they don't provide an entry for one's actual age for "learning" purposes.

I submitted an actual one of me looking very stern for one reason or another and it said I was 79.  3/79 = < 4% error.  Most people think I look younger than my 76 actual candle-count.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »

It said I looked 27 with a full murder hobo beard.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 05:17:24 PM »
If you're having trouble with an image, you might want to make sure you're facing the camera, and you may want to crop out extraneous stuff if it's a busy image.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 06:01:53 PM »
"Couldn’t detect any faces." :(

"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
Guessed 43, I'm 42 1/2....
The night of partying at last night's wedding must have added a 1/2 year to my looks :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
I'm this many.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 09:07:23 PM »
On a bit more serious note, after ya'll get done helping them fine tune it, who do you think they'll be marketing it to?   [tinfoil]
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:33:43 AM »
If you're having trouble with an image, you might want to make sure you're facing the camera, and you may want to crop out extraneous stuff if it's a busy image.

If the square that occurs which borders just above the eyebrows and just above the bottom of the chin means anything, they do their own cropping.

On a bit more serious note, after ya'll get done helping them fine tune it, who do you think they'll be marketing it to?   [tinfoil]

There's that.

Always.

They say they don't store the images... ha ha.  I wouldn't be surprised if they've got them somehow linked to my machine or other ISP ID.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 12:52:39 AM »
Pretty much nailed my wife every time and was consistently 9-10 years off on me, saying I was younger. The wife is not pleased and calls BS!!!!  =D

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 01:47:05 AM »

Truth.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »
Pretty much nailed my wife every time and was consistently 9-10 years off on me, saying I was younger. The wife is not pleased and calls BS!!!!  =D

bob
I thought this was just a website?   ???

=)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
Could it just be a pre-filter of sorts to protect the system?  I am afraid to put in my photo. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
Well I had some pictures of my wife and myself. In the same photoshoot, pictures taken seconds apart have my wife at 25 and the next 39. On average, though, it's rating her about 27. She'll be happy to know that.

I had one that said I was 51. (I had a fake mustache on for that one, though so it was clearly invalid.) Most of the ratings have me between 36 and 38. I'll be 37 this year, so it looks like it worked fairly well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »
If the square that occurs which borders just above the eyebrows and just above the bottom of the chin means anything, they do their own cropping.

There's that.

Always.

They say they don't store the images... ha ha.  I wouldn't be surprised if they've got them somehow linked to my machine or other ISP ID.

I believe that "square" is just the facial recognition software doing the same thing your camera does if you have "facial recognition" turned on. It'll mark a face if it finds one. Cropping to eliminate false targets will give the software a better chance to work.

While the site may have some nefarious big brother purpose, I wasn't too worried. Between social media and all the "people locator" sites out there, if you google someone's name, you can already get their age, address, even the info on the last car they bought down to the VIN. And that's just the free stuff. For those worried about their image being used in tracking software, if you're on Facebook, linkedin, etc., there's already probably an image out there that "they" can use, and it's already tied to your personal info, unlike this site, which will take pictures with no identifying info (as long as you don't provide any in the image name or exif).

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 09:59:09 AM »
I doubt the big brother purchase is putting your name and face on file.
Think...free beta testing.  They want to develop the software so that it's more accurate so they can market it to law enforcement etc.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
Depending on the photo I used it had me from 46 to 53.

I'll be 51 this summer.

Oddly, I was just carded for beer at the grocery store a few days ago. I'm certainly not baby faced and while the grey in my hair is hard to see due to my hair color I have plenty of grey in my beard.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:26 AM »

Oddly, I was just carded for beer at the grocery store a few days ago. I'm certainly not baby faced and while the grey in my hair is hard to see due to my hair color I have plenty of grey in my beard.

Not to harsh your mellow  :laugh: , but I think that's one of those stupid "zero tolerance, no exceptions" policies some places with alcohol licenses use because they're super paranoid of being set up by the law. For a while, one of the Bevmos (but strangely, not others) I go to was carding me, and I'm pretty obviously past my prime. :)

They stopped doing it, probably because after the first couple of times the flattery wears off for the senior citizens and they go back to grumpy "why the hell are you carding me you gall dang young whippersnapper? You can see I'm a cantankerous old coot, can't you?" mode.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:59 AM »
Pretty much nailed my wife every time

Must...not...take...bait...