Author Topic: Which one of you jerks is building an ark?  (Read 9787 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Which one of you jerks is building an ark?
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »
The news was talking of another dam near Midlothian that was in danger of failing. 

(I had to look it up.  It is South of Dallas and Fort Worth.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »
http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/texas/2015/05/27/midlothian-dam-near-fort-worth-expected-to-break-at-any-moment/28001639/

That could be interesting given that there are also a couple of major HV lines running between the dam and the highway.  

Update this morning:
City engineers re-evaluated the dam in the daylight and determined it was more stable that it had been. The volume of water in the lake has decreased.

Decreased while it was pouring rain last night?  Might want to look into that a bit closer.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
Just flew into DFW and am heading to Austin now. Pretty soggy down there.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 10:21:39 AM »
Wimberly flooding pics

This has become kind of the iconic pic of flooding here in Houston.  Alot of these areas the water rises really quick.  One car stalls and everyone else gets stuck behind them

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »
Lake Travis near Austin is up almost 24'.

Check this out

http://gfycat.com/MeatySkeletalGelada
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 11:17:51 AM »
https://sg.screen.yahoo.com/storyful-trending-videos/woman-dog-rescued-houston-flood-001620715.html

I just don't *expletive deleted*ing get people.  You can clearly see that it's deep water, look at the center divider.  Stupid bitch just drove right into it.
How do these people remember to breathe?
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »
https://sg.screen.yahoo.com/storyful-trending-videos/woman-dog-rescued-houston-flood-001620715.html

I just don't *expletive deleted*ing get people.  You can clearly see that it's deep water, look at the center divider.  Stupid bitch just drove right into it.

Attributed to Einstein: “Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe.”
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »
1. As we drive around with the kids we have impressed upon them that water on the road is no joke.  And running water on the road is "Maybe I don't need to travel that bad today" no-shinola serious.  I think me pushing my pickup truck sideways with only my own strength across an icy parking lot this winter helped to impress upon them that if the tires break loose from the pavement, it doesn't take much to drag an auto downstream.

2. My mother who lives out of state and does not get touched in any way by this rain has called numerous times due to the lurid coverage on the cable teevee news coverage.  Not having teevee coming into the house, I miss a bunch of the whipped-up hysteria of all sorts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »

We get the opposite here; when you can see by the curb that the (standing, not flowing) water isn't more than a few inches deep, they panic, stop at the edge, don't have room to turn around, then expect the 4-5 cars that just managed to not rear end them to all back up so they can have room for a 27 point turnaround.

Often they're driving jacked up 4WD pickups, too.  Apparently worried about sloshing their latte onto their skinny jeans and ruining their silk panties.  The women are even worse.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
If it is obviously just shallow water I can drive through, I will take my truck through it.  As long as it isn't up to the frame, trucks are generally heavy enough to wade through without a strong current.  If I was in a car, I would be very cautious myself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »
We hit "wetest May on record" over the weekend and we still have almost a week more of rain forecast.  I'm about to lose my garden to grass and weeds, just too wet to even walk in it.

I was planning to cut down the winter weeds and prep the garden for planting the weekend after all the rain started.  Still haven't done it, my boots stop just below the knees & I hate walking with water in my boots.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 01:22:48 AM »

I'm not sure who's worse: the lady or the camera guy...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 04:06:20 AM »

I'm just glad the dog's OK.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »
http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/l/USTX0617:1:US?animation=true&interactiveMapLayer=radar

More on it's way tonight/tomorrow.  And this weekend.  UNCLE. 

May....wettest month on record for Texas. Ever.  We got 20 inches in Houston over the month.
JD

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 09:24:13 PM »
We got 20 inches in Houston over the month.

Yeah you did.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »
Between the thunder and torrential rains and the severe weather alert on our ohones i doubt we strung 30min of sleep together.

Luckily we are near the high spot between two creeks.  If we flood you will see downtown under water.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
I heard the city of Wharton has issued an evacutation order as part of downtown will soon be part of the Colorado River.

http://abc13.com/news/wharton-residents-evacuate-as-colorado-river-flooding-looms/746525/

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »
The lake where my boat lives is now 17.5' above normal and rising. the local talking heads on the news are now to the point of talking about "what if such and such dam fails?".
Oh, and it's currently raining here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
Meanwhile, here on the east coast (or at least the mountains of Virginia), we've had a ~50% chance of rain forecast all week.

Outcome? Well, for the first time this spring, I won't have to mow my lawn this week since it's been completely dry. Looks like I got that solution to watering my fruit trees right in time.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
Sun's out.  Weather site says 59% humidity, but it feels like a frickin' jungle out there.

Maybe it'll firm up the front yard to where I can mow tomorrow.  Still standing water in the back yard this morning.

Or maybe not.  75% chance of storms before sunrise, dropping to 30% for part of the afternoon, then back to 75% in the evening.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 06:40:04 PM »
Dallas rush hour brought to a standstill by water.

Everybody and his brother repeating that the rain, if evenly spread over Texas, would be eight inches deep.  35+ trillion gallons.

Somebody needs to rent a few tanker ships, suck up all that water, and ship it to California.  You could probably get paid on both ends.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
Dallas rush hour brought to a standstill by water.

Everybody and his brother repeating that the rain, if evenly spread over Texas, would be eight inches deep.  35+ trillion gallons.

Somebody needs to rent a few tanker ships, suck up all that water, and ship it to California.  You could probably get paid on both ends.

stay safe.

The problem is California would word the contract so that we must ship them that amount of water in perpetuity, regardless of rainfall.  Next drought, they still get it.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »
Okay last night brought a few inches (that's what she said).
1-4 inches depending with some localized flooding but nothing like what we got earlier in the week.

http://www.khou.com/videos/news/local/2015/05/30/cars-under-water-near-uh-downtown/28241741/

Looks like we get to dry out this week.
JD