Author Topic: Two thumbs up for 'The Man in the High Castle'  (Read 15052 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Two thumbs up for 'The Man in the High Castle'
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »
If you have access to Amazon video, then the adaptation of Philip K. Dick's  'The Man in the High Castle' is well worth a view.  Based on the initial reception, Amazon recently ordered a full season of episodes.

Some of it is being filmed in this area, and it was interesting for me to see the set locations.  Good photography, acting and plot.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: Two thumbs up for 'The Man in the High Castle'
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
If you have access to Amazon video, then the adaptation of Philip K. Dick's  'The Man in the High Castle' is well worth a view.  Based on the initial reception, Amazon recently ordered a full season of episodes.

Some of it is being filmed in this area, and it was interesting for me to see the set locations.  Good photography, acting and plot.

Thanks for the heads up, I thought I remember seeing a trailer for the movie a year or two ago and wondered if the movie ever came out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »
We've got Prime.  I will give it a look.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »
I watched the pilot when it was released and liked it. Happy to hear they picked up a whole season. I bought the book after watching the pilot and was fairly disappointed. It was very anticlimactic.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:15:56 PM »
Watched the first episode tonight.  Pretty decent, looking forward to the next one (though the audio effects guys were off on some stuff as they typically are these days on period shows).
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »
Waiting with much anticipation for the rest of the series.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:06:17 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzz_6dmv03I

Thanks for the reminder! Watched the first one when it came out, now it looks like the whole season will drop in a couple of weeks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 08:16:07 PM »
Yeah. Been seeing the add for it on youtube. Looks like it will be pretty good.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Watched the second episode last night.  An interesting premise, decent acting.  I'll keep watching.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 09:57:43 PM »
I watched both eps last night and enjoyed it. Man in the High Castle was not my favorite PKD novel by a stretch but I can see how it would play out better as a mini series. Terrifying idea, America being run by Japan and NAZIs. Perhaps this will series will help motivate it's viewers to rise against?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:56:27 AM »
Looks very interesting.  I love alternative history.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »
Sweet, will try out.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

JN01

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »
I found it compelling.  Will definitely watch the rest of the season.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »
Wife and I are bingewatching. I'll probably be up till the wee hours.

We've tried to stop and we can't.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 12:43:22 AM »
Saving this for later!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
I saw the series dropped and started watching. I'm just through episode three right now. I recommend that anyone who saw the pilot when it first came out rewatch that before starting the rest. I should have done that.

I'm liking it so far. My only nits to pick at this point are a couple of the Marvel comic style over-the-top bad guys.  Obergruppenführer Smith somehow was the only one to live through an ambush involving like eight resistance fighters with machine guns, and also managed to take all of them out with a Luger (except the one guy he wounded and left alive for interrogation). "The Marshal" is also a bit over the top. All somebody needs to do is what Kevin Costner did in "Open Range" -- walk up to the guy, don't bother with small talk, and just shoot him in the head.

Then also, though I'm not prudish, it seems out of place to have the F-bomb dropped so much in the 1960s environment. Amazon must have some HBO writers working for them.

Anyway,  I still like it a lot so far and am trying not to binge watch to make it last, especially since shows like "The Walking Dead" will probably be taking breaks over the holidays.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
I saw the series dropped and started watching. I'm just through episode three right now. I recommend that anyone who saw the pilot when it first came out rewatch that before starting the rest. I should have done that.

I'm liking it so far. My only nits to pick at this point are a couple of the Marvel comic style over-the-top bad guys.  Obergruppenführer Smith somehow was the only one to live through an ambush involving like eight resistance fighters with machine guns, and also managed to take all of them out with a Luger (except the one guy he wounded and left alive for interrogation). "The Marshal" is also a bit over the top. All somebody needs to do is what Kevin Costner did in "Open Range" -- walk up to the guy, don't bother with small talk, and just shoot him in the head.

Then also, though I'm not prudish, it seems out of place to have the F-bomb dropped so much in the 1960s environment. Amazon must have some HBO writers working for them.

Anyway,  I still like it a lot so far and am trying not to binge watch to make it last, especially since shows like "The Walking Dead" will probably be taking breaks over the holidays.

I cannot find the pilot, do you have a link?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
I cannot find the pilot, do you have a link?

It's actually just episode 1. They released it during the last pilot season, but a lot of time has gone by since then, so it's easy to miss some of the background that sets up episode two and after. I went straight to episode 2 and saw that I had forgotten some of the character connections.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »
It's actually just episode 1. They released it during the last pilot season, but a lot of time has gone by since then, so it's easy to miss some of the background that sets up episode two and after. I went straight to episode 2 and saw that I had forgotten some of the character connections.

Cool thank you for clarifying that. 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 07:16:32 PM »
if anyone else finishes it, see if you can give me a clue what the ending means.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Earlier, we saw that the German agent and Japanese Trade Minister Tagomi conspired to plant microfilm plans for a "Heisenberg device" on another Japanese official to achieve a balance of power and avoid another war.  Werner Heisenberg was a pioneer of quantum mechanics.  From Wiki:
The many-worlds interpretation is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wavefunction and denies the actuality of wavefunction collapse. Many-worlds implies that all possible alternate histories and futures are real, each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). In lay terms, the hypothesis states there is a very large—perhaps infinite—number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but did not, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes.

Tagomi apparently transported to an alternate universe.  Earlier, his assistant told him that perhaps he was "too good for this world". Earlier, we also saw scars (radiation burns?) on the assistants wrist, who later told Tagomi he was from either Hiroshima or Nagasaki- perhaps he is from another universe as well.   Does the necklace or the box it was in have anything to do with this transportation?  Is it a Heisenberg device?  Guess we will have to wait for Season 2.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 12:40:39 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Earlier, we saw that the German agent and Japanese Trade Minister Tagomi conspired to plant microfilm plans for a "Heisenberg device" on another Japanese official to achieve a balance of power and avoid another war.  Werner Heisenberg was a pioneer of quantum mechanics.  From Wiki:
Tagomi apparently transported to an alternate universe.  Earlier, his assistant told him that perhaps he was "too good for this world". Earlier, we also saw scars (radiation burns?) on the assistants wrist, who later told Tagomi he was from either Hiroshima or Nagasaki- perhaps he is from another universe as well.   Does the necklace or the box it was in have anything to do with this transportation?  Is it a Heisenberg device?  Guess we will have to wait for Season 2.

Damn. Thanks for pointing that out. And therefore the Wu in the necklace seems to have been the means of transporting Tagomi into the alternate universe.

I need to go back and watch the first episode try and understand what the I Ching was saying.

Good call on the scars. I believe he said he was from Nagasaki. Which, in Tagomi's native universe, would not have been nuked...

drooby

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 10:09:29 AM »
SPOILER ALERT

I also picked up on that he was from Hiroshima or Nagasaki, but I am trying to wrap my head around on how Tagomi was able to jump from his universe to the parallel universe?  In fear that the show won't be renewed for a second season, I went ahead and bought the book and have started reading it... maybe I'll have answers to my questions sooner than expected!

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
The series has been picked up for a second season.  It was the most streamed original show of Amazon.