Author Topic: Two thumbs up for 'The Man in the High Castle'  (Read 15043 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Two thumbs up for 'The Man in the High Castle'
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
The series has been picked up for a second season.  It was the most streamed original show of Amazon.

That's good news.  Watched another episode last night.  It's been enjoyable thus far.

Thread jack:  Anyone been watching "Bosch" on Amazon?  Author Michael Connelly has had a significant hand in the show.  It follows his books pretty well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 11:07:46 AM »
I watched Bosch and thought it was pretty good.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 03:56:23 PM »
Just started watching it a few days ago and I'm hooked.

"The Marshal" is also a bit over the top. All somebody needs to do is what Kevin Costner did in "Open Range" -- walk up to the guy, don't bother with small talk, and just shoot him in the head.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as soon as they introduced the character- there is no way someone like that would last very long in a frontier or an area WROL.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
I binged watched it when the bosses went to Westminster and I got snowed in at the farm.

AWSOMESAUCE!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:40 PM »
I binged watched it when the bosses went to Westminster and I got snowed in at the farm.

AWSOMESAUCE!

It's pretty trippy ain't it?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 09:15:35 PM »
It's pretty trippy ain't it?

I think the atmosphere of the show is the real hook for me. When he gets the flat tire and it looks like snowflakes, but it's not and the trooper is just so accepting of it. I really appreciate how it really is so on point about that kind of stuff without being overly graphic. Most shows would have slammed it in your face or avoided it completely. tMitHC put it out there in a way that was completely disturbing, yet subtle.
Creeped me the *expletive deleted*ck out and then you find out about what's his face's son.  :O  :'( (Yes, I know. The kid's all Hitler Youth and crap. He's just a boy!)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »
Thread necro.

Season 2 dropped on Amazon today. Guess I know what I'll be doing for the next few evenings.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
Watched the first episode last night. Roped me right back in.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »
Wow - 20 episodes this season. Guess it'll be more than a few evenings before I finish up. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 08:43:29 PM »
Wow - 20 episodes this season. Guess it'll be more than a few evenings before I finish up. :)

So far, the second ten, "episodes 11-20", are just 3-5 minute recaps with director, writer, and producers comments.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 09:00:35 PM »
So far, the second ten, "episodes 11-20", are just 3-5 minute recaps with director, writer, and producers comments.

Grrr.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »
Mrs. Dual and I binged all 10 episodes this weekend.

I've never seen a show with writing this tight. Amazing.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 09:43:51 PM »
As I said before, I took advantage of a house sitting situation to binge season one. I broke down today and got set up with Amazon so I could get season two.
However, I have to catch Dad up first. It's hard to hook him in to watch stuff together and he doesn't know how use the Roku (we are way behind on Westworld) but I cornered him.
Yep. He's hooked.  =D

zahc

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2016, 12:26:12 AM »
I'm really enjoying the lack of infantile "flashback" sequences that most TV shows have, and lack of other such crappy devices. I like my paying attention to be rewarded.

edit: although I do wish they could have been more authentic with the languages.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:31:31 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2016, 10:52:05 PM »
Finished episode 6 tonight.

Dialogue with wife:

"I'm tripping out right now."

Five minutes later

"Now the characters are tripping out. No, literally."

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016, 08:00:31 AM »
tried watching it, but the premise is harder to swallow than zombies.  Turned it off, half way through the show.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
tried watching it, but the premise is harder to swallow than zombies.  Turned it off, half way through the show.

You would make a terrible Obergruppenfuhrer.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
tried watching it, but the premise is harder to swallow than zombies.  Turned it off, half way through the show.

Possibly spoilers.

Do you mean the magical films thing was hard to accept, or the alternate history itself, aside from the fact that it's a fictional alternate history?

My dad refused to watch it because he could not accept that the US could/would ever lose WWII. I, on the other hand, find it rather plausible, as presented. We don't get a lot of details, but if Germany had been able to field nuclear weapons first, I don't see how they could have lost. European countries would have surrendered one by one like Japan ultimately did, the US would have held out as long as they thought they were out of range, and clobbering DC from a sub or long range missile would have finished it. I'm not sure how the Japanese ended up so strong enough to invade the west coast, but maybe they got a lot of resources from the Nazis. We never hear anything about what happens in Europe or with the USSR or Mussolini.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
That scene with Obergruppenfuhrer Smith in the Volkshalle. Hell, the entire last episode. It was good. And exceedingly chilling. I replayed it a couple times.

I'm very, very glad we killed off the leadership of the Reich. If they had won, unlikely as it was, they would have created a world of amazing nightmare.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
That scene with Obergruppenfuhrer Smith in the Volkshalle. Hell, the entire last episode. It was good. And exceedingly chilling. I replayed it a couple times.

I'm very, very glad we killed off the leadership of the Reich. If they had won, unlikely as it was, they would have created a world of amazing nightmare.

The series really drives that home in a ways subtle and very un-subtle.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
To me it's not so much that the Nazis could have possibly won, but that they would have managed to pull of an invasion of mainland US and made it part of their empire.

It's a fiction so I don't care about the actual plausibility, but it's certainly a leap one has to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2016, 01:56:16 PM »
To me it's not so much that the Nazis could have possibly won, but that they would have managed to pull of an invasion of mainland US and made it part of their empire.

Nukes. That's literally all. The premise is that Germany got nukes faster--the rest follows from that. They knew how to make them, but didn't have an Oak-ridge-equivalent town to convert into a giant particle accelerator to enrich the uranium. It could easily have happened had they invented centrifugal enrichment and hid the facility and the program well enough to not appear an appealing target. Using better encryption would have helped them.

If Germany got British and European opposition to either surrender, or crippled with a few well-chosen leveled cities, its chemical weapon, jet, and rocket programs would not have been stalled, and it would have had access to allied resources, fuel, etc.  With no functional allies left, the US would have been on borrowed time. in the show, we know the Nazis took out DC, but we don't know if it was a sneak attack. The scene with young Obergrueppenfuehrer suggests to me the DC nuke was a sneak attack, possibly a sub-launched nuke, possibly the first nuke ever... dropping the first one on the US would make as much sense as anywhere else, both to harm the US and to demonstrate the weapon to the world without destroying any valuable real-estate and materiel in Europe/England. Remember that before the US had nukes, the Japanese were keeping it quite busy with a conventional war of attrition in the Pacific which historians agree would have gone on for years, even with the European Axis powers worn down to manageability.

It is a strength of the show that it doesn't elaborate on what happened, and leaves us to speculate. The younger characters in the show only know propoganda and censored history, which is scary itself.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »

It's a fiction so I don't care about the actual plausibility, but it's certainly a leap one has to make.

Not so much a leap if Washington disappeared in a single day. And another city the next day. And us not being able to respond in kind. Even if delivered by suicidal U-boat, it wouldn't take long for the US to surrender.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:05 AM »
There were other issues before WWII even started where the High-Castle timeline diverged from ours. FDR gets assassinated, the Great Depression was longer/worse, (I'd argue losing FDR would shorten it...  =D ) And various things lead to the U.S. not getting involved until Japan is attacking the West Coast.

Still a stretch that Germany and Japan could manage the logistics of cross-ocean invasion, even if Germany had the bomb and got few of them to the U.S. Cross-ocean geographic isolation, the sheer size of the U.S. Like the USSR enjoyed, but also with first world industry and better resources... IMO, we'd have made the Eastern Front look easy.

But, the backstory in the original PKD story did at least provide a bit more reasonable explanation, even if still incomplete.
I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »
We finished watching season 2 last night. All I can say is...wow.