Author Topic: Stupid that hurts.  (Read 2412 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Stupid that hurts.
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:38:06 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/06/29/i-love-my-guns-but-i-hate-the-nra/?tid=sm_fb

In the mid-1990s, I went to New Orleans for the wedding celebration of a charismatic young couple committed to filmmaking and music, community health care, veganism and spreading joy everywhere they went. I knew them only slightly, but I was there as a guest of a close mutual friend. It was a joyous, slightly unhinged all-night affair with costumes, music and a parade that ended at  the banks of the Mississippi. It was unforgettable for the right reasons, and it’s unforgettable for a horrific reason.

One morning in 2007, as she let the cat out before daybreak, the bride, Helen Hill, faced the scenario that gun nuts dream about. As she stepped outside early one morning, she came face-to-face with an intruder. She had time only to scream a warning to her husband and child. Then she was dead.

Gun advocates will say that if she’d owned a gun, she would have survived. But in truth, the only way she possibly could have survived was to live in her own home with a gun on her hip, like a character in a Mad Max movie. To conjure such an image of this particular woman is obscene. Only a suspicious and hostile person would choose to live this way.

It just hurts.

And call me Max.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Stupid that hurts.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
I self-identify as suspicious and hostile  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:08 PM »
"Better Dead Than Thinking Ahead"

I think I need to make a meme and Booko'face it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:18:28 PM »
If she had owned a gun, but was still the sort of person described, she would still probably be dead.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
I guess I am beyond hostile since there are firearms liberally scattered through the house and I greet any uninvited "guests" while armed.

Butbutbutbut he hunts and skeet shoots, that makes him an expert on firearms and self defense!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:51:59 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
Some years back i had trouble with a guy who was part of a group that scared me. A cop was at the house and observed my precautions. I told him i was paranoid he said " we call that cautious"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »
Some years back i had trouble with a guy who was part of a group that scared me. A cop was at the house and observed my precautions. I told him i was paranoid he said " we call that cautious"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:14:48 PM »
If she had owned a gun, but was still the sort of person described, she would still probably be dead.

We had a short-timer once. Johnny I-forget-his-name. He wore a flak jacket, two helmets and armor underwear. Ashau Valley... your time's up, your time *is* up.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 10:22:37 PM »
The spew of "guns will not save you even if you have one, and besides it will probably be taken away from you" is just typical spew from folks who do not know what they are talking about except for the fact that they have an agenda to meet.

It sucks that it was her day to be the bug and not the windshield.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »
The thing some gun owners forget, and leftists pick up on readily, is that we still can't prevent every tragedy.  Being surprised in the night while wearing a gun, she'd possibly have been just as dead.
*expletive deleted*it happens.  Some of us would like to mitigate that risk.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »
Some of us would like to mitigate that risk.

But it's obscene man, obscene! Like Mad Max, I tells ya!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 12:17:48 AM »
The thing some gun owners forget, and leftists pick up on readily, is that we still can't prevent every tragedy.  Being surprised in the night while wearing a gun, she'd possibly have been just as dead.
*expletive deleted*it happens.  Some of us would like to mitigate that risk.
Some gun owners may forget it, but I think leftists obsess about it.  If one time out of a million, the gun owner is killed, then it just can't be done.  For stuff they want, that logic never applies.  For other stuff, if it can't be perfect, you can't do it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:17 AM »
The spew of "guns will not save you even if you have one, and besides it will probably be taken away from you" is just typical spew from folks who do not know what they are talking about except for the fact that they have an agenda to meet.
A gun isn't a magic talisman that makes the person who wields it immune from harm . . . it's a tool that tips the odds back in the targeted person's favor by some amount, depending on the exact circumstances and the person's ability and awareness.

Any advantage it gives you is a good thing.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 12:37:46 AM »
^
A gun isn't a magic talisman that makes the person who wields it immune from harm . . . it's a tool that tips the odds back in the targeted person's favor by some amount, depending on the exact circumstances and the person's ability and awareness.

Any advantage it gives you is a good thing.

Perfect !

It is often said, "It's not the odds involved, it's the stakes."

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/06/30/gun-shaped-phone-case/

This seems to tie in with stupidity should hurt.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/06/30/gun-shaped-phone-case/

This seems to tie in with stupidity should hurt.

You mean the stupid cases, or the idiot who wants to ban them? Both kinds of stupidity hurt my fine, clean brain.*

*Not that you mooks would grok the literary reference there.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 07:31:35 PM »

Cruising the neighborhood on street view, I was thinking "gee, what a great place to be if you need some crack...either kind."  Looks like the sort of place you could score some sort of illegal product or service cheaply at more houses than not.