Author Topic: Questions About First Motorcycle  (Read 15727 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Questions About First Motorcycle
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:42:18 PM »
So I finally took the motorcycle safety course, and I'm on my way to get the endorsement on my license.  My girlfriend has an '85 Honda VF500C that she no longer wants, and has agreed to transfer it to me versus the costs of repairs.  However, after tinkering with it for a few days, her dad has concluded that the engine compression is bad and thinks it needs to be rebuilt.  I have no idea how much that would cost.  So, plan B?

I had zero riding experience before the course.  Now I'm familiar with a Honda 250 Nighthawk.  I hadn't intended on going on the highway until I've had some practice, so in my mind a 250 isn't out of the question for a starter bike.  I intend to commute to work (a whopping three miles one way, surface streets) until I'm more comfortable.  However, I think I can handle up to a 500 without killing myself.  Style-wise, I like street cruisers and cafe lines.

Any suggestions?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Questions About First Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:45:46 PM »
What do you weigh? I found that buying smaller bikes results in almost immediate upgrade being required

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »
Need to know more. Intended usage, desired performance/fuel economy. Price range. Passenger or no?

My first instinct is an older SV650 if you're into sport bikes. something like the 650ish CC boulevards if a cruiser is more your style.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
Assuming you haven't owned a motorcycle before, Start with $500-1000 for gear. Leather is best, Cordura is next, everything else sucks.
The MSF basic course will run $200-400 depending on where you take it.
For the bike, don't be concerned with what you actually want for a bike now, that will change the first year you ride. Start with a 10-20 year old Japanese bike that is 500, 650, or 700 cc that isn't a supersport, like a Honda CB, Kawasaki EX, Yamaha Virago etc. It should be less than $2K. As long as everything is straight and works, don't worry if it's already been dropped because you're going to drop it again. You want something to learn on that you won't lose too much resale when you sell it to someone else that's learning to ride in a year or two. By then you will have a better idea what you want.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
What do you weigh? I found that buying smaller bikes results in almost immediate upgrade being required

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's more important than a lot of people realize. Also very important is your inseam. In my opinion based on almost 40 years of riding being able to put both feet flat on the ground is important for a beginner.

I'd consider a BMW R1200GS Adventure but I don't have the inseam for it.

I'm quite a bit out of date on what is available but my experience is that anything under 650cc is gonna have you wanting a bigger bike way too soon for most people's wallets.
All of the big 4 Japanese makers are quality bikes. The trick is finding a used bike that hasn't been neglected and abused.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »
I've caught the bike bug as of late. Currently looking for one.  It will be my second bike. Owned one in the 80s whike in W Germany.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:17:44 PM »
I'm 200 lbs soaking wet, 30" inseam.  The Nighthawk fit me perfectly.  Intended use for the rest of this season is commuting to work.

My first instinct is an older SV650 if you're into sport bikes.

I love the styling of the SV650 (without the fairing), actually.  I also like this one, which is only a few miles from my place:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5102611649.html
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
What's your budget? Be sure to factor in at least $500 for gear (minimum of a GOOD helmet, jacket, and gloves.)

I've see a fair number of well-kept 80s/90s cruisers and UJMs locally in the $1500-$3000 range. A year ago I almost bit the bullet on a 750 Magna that looked like it just rolled off the showroom and had a full service history.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Go big or stay at home......

Oh wait, you said first bike, maybe you should wait a while on the R3.

Really, a 500-750cc bike leaning toward a SV650 would probably suit you fine and you wouldn't need to upgrade for a couple of years. Don't look at as your first bike and go small, look at it as a learning bike that can last you a couple of years before you get the itch to go bigger.

bob

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »
I'm 200 lbs soaking wet, 30" inseam.  The Nighthawk fit me perfectly.  Intended use for the rest of this season is commuting to work.

I love the styling of the SV650 (without the fairing), actually.  I also like this one, which is only a few miles from my place:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/5102611649.html

Bikes that are supposed to have fairings and don't are almost always the result of someone wrecking and not replacing the plastic, not a "street fighter mod" as they always say in the ads.

Bedlamite has good advice.

Don't get a 600cc or larger supersport. 500-750cc for a UJM or cruiser is fine.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
Not sure if its true today but insurance would go up rapidly above 750

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:02:09 PM »
Not sure if its true today but insurance would go up rapidly above 750

This is true.

Can confirm that SV650 is stupid fun for the $$. Plenty of ponies for a first machine.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
Wife sold motorcycle insurance. She would get young men who paid more for one year of full coverage on a crotch rocket than they paid for bike

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
6'2 210 pounds 36" inseam. What size bike?
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »
6'2 210 pounds 36" inseam. What size bike?

If its your first, you need a mid size motor in a large frame.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »
*stuff*

I've enjoyed my 650 V-Star(yamaha, cruiser).  Enough go for one rider on the highway, but don't expect much past 80.  Going on 7 years, haven't dropped it yet(crosses fingers).  It was one of the only bikes short enough for me to get both feet on the ground.

One thing to be aware of is that having a shop do the maintenance is expensive, but you'll want a lift to do it yourself.

I'm with Battle Monkey - a 650 is enough power to have fun with, but not beyond controllability for a new rider.

I was in your situation 7 years ago, except I learned on a 125cc Harley.

Shop around - you might actually find a seller willing to let you take a test drive.  I was planning on highway riding from the first, so I get on the highway, do about 2 miles, not on the bike I was considering buying, but a model about 5 years older.  After assuring myself that I could handle it and liked the ride, that highway trip had me immediately have them put a windscreen on my bike - and I do NOT regret that. 

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »
I'm sure folks here have me beat in riding experience. I am well versed in cheap bikes.

Cheap bike usually isn't. Cheap bikes need repairs pretty much always. If nothing else, there is guaranteed to be neglected maintenance.

Mileage doesn't matter. Bikes die from sitting more than they get worn out. Gas turns to sludge, rubber hardens, rust creeps in. Figure on $3-400 to recommission an old bike. You might luck out with less, but don't expect it.

"It runs fine" and "needs nothing" are from the same book as "check is in the mail". Even if the seller is not out to purposely screw you, they almost always don't know as much as they think. "Ran fine when parked" is quite hilarious.

Check tires. They can look good, but be ancient, and not particularly safe. "New tires x years ago" are not new.

Mechanics to work on old bikes are hard to find. Better be willing to learn to do what you need to do.

Not all brands are equal in parts availability, or even information. Yamaha parts listings are available online all the way back to 1970's, or even earlier. Kawasaki... not so much.

My first functional bike was an XS400. I am 200-210 pounds, depending on how close I am to a holiday. I ran that thing all over town. 60-70 mph on the highway was perfectly doable.  Long trips on something like that aren't great, though.

Bikes that are supposed to have fairings and don't are almost always the result of someone wrecking and not replacing the plastic, not a "street fighter mod" as they always say in the ads.
I'm going to be looking to sell my FJ1200 as a "streetfighter project" soon. It's the one I crashed last year... :)

One thing to be aware of is that having a shop do the maintenance is expensive, but you'll want a lift to do it yourself.

A lift? Must be a cruiser thing. I've done everything using the bike's own center stand, including taking off front and back wheels.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »
A lift? Must be a cruiser thing. I've done everything using the bike's own center stand, including taking off front and back wheels.

'most' cruisers don't have a center stand.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 12:19:26 AM »
I've never had any of my bikes up on a lift: if I need more than "up on kickstand", I use a jack and jackstands. Never had any problems.

Do NOT get an obscure scoot: Bedlamite can tell you all about the issues I've had with my first bike ('86 Kaw ZL600). That's the biggest advantage Harley has: they make basically the same bike for decades (there's something like 20 years my Sporty was made). That issue can make a bike you love into a lawn planter.

Don't go too small "just to start out". Better to get a 5-600cc, and have more than you think you need. Your self defense on a bike is already in your right hand, and you want it to be able to do the job. Also: freeway may be faster speeds, but at least all the idiots are (usually) going the same direction

DEFINATELY get the safety gear, and wear it. I choose to be foolish: just starting out, you need to go ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time). To be safe, you want to dress for the crash
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 12:58:45 AM »

Bedlamite has good advice.

Don't get a 600cc or larger supersport. 500-750cc for a UJM or cruiser is fine.

There were a number of years where the SV650 came from the factory without fairings
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 02:58:57 AM »
There were a number of years where the SV650 came from the factory without fairings

Many sport bikes also have a street fighter fairing less variant. But they're less common and you can generally tell if the bike originally had plastic or not.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 06:57:04 AM »
I wouldn't pass on a Suzuki GS500 or a Kawasaki Ninja 500 or Ninja 650 either.  Despite the "Ninja" name the 500 and 650 are pretty good bikes.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »
I suggest the new Kawasaki H2R
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »
DEFINATELY get the safety gear, and wear it. I choose to be foolish: just starting out, you need to go ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time). To be safe, you want to dress for the crash
This.

I got to test my gear last year. It wasn't great gear that day, just heavy leather jacket an some kevlar-lined jeans, but I kept my skin and walked away with only a broken thumb and a blue buttcheek. Was real happy to have a helmet on when head hit pavement. 
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »
I'm probably going to buy a Kawasaki 650 KLR in the next 12 months, all depends upon where I land a new job in the next few weeks.

I'm going to use it for commuting to work and screwing around on the weekends.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536