Author Topic: The War on Climate Scientists  (Read 2354 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The War on Climate Scientists
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:54:06 PM »
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a36228/ballad-of-the-sad-climatologists-0815/

For more than thirty years, climate scientists have been living a surreal existence. A vast and ever-growing body of research shows that warming is tracking the rise of greenhouse gases exactly as their models predicted. The physical evidence becomes more dramatic every year...

the scientists themselves—the cruelest blow of all—have been the targets of an unrelenting and well-organized attack that includes death threats, summonses from a hostile Congress, attempts to get them fired, legal harassment, and intrusive discovery demands so severe they had to start their own legal-defense fund, all amplified by a relentless propaganda campaign nakedly financed by the fossil-fuel companies.

I can only assume that second paragraph means that some scientists were asked to pay for their own birth control research, or something equally hideous. Like maybe someone declined to bake them a wedding cake?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The War on Climate Scientists
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
Esquire. One has to read no further.

Without even going to the URL, I'm sure they didn't cover the harassment received by well known, competent planetary climatologists and physicists who question the religious fervor, not to mention scientific organizations blatantly refusing to hire meteorologists, etc. that don't "believe". Because science is all about consensus.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »
I would like to know how many of the "97% of scientists who believe that AGW is settled science" are honest-to-goodness climatologists or in directly related disciplines, as opposed to PhDs with opinions.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »
I state this as a bald fact:

The current so-called "warming" is just a minor blip in the rather noisy long-term regular cycles of climate the earth has seen.

You may challenge this statement of fact with evidence collected over the next 100,000 years.

The infamous "hockey stick" of rising temperatures measured over only the last 200-300 years or so is nonsense.  Rather, it looks to me like we're heading into a new ice age.

There.  I said it and I ain't takin' it back.

Terry, 230RN

Proxy measurements of CO2 over 400kA  Note that, despite the noise, the regularity of the major cycles is indisputable.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:26:22 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
Esquire. One has to read no further.

Without even going to the URL, I'm sure they didn't cover the harassment received by well known, competent planetary climatologists and physicists who question the religious fervor, not to mention scientific organizations blatantly refusing to hire meteorologists, etc. that don't "believe".

Of course not.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
I would like to know how many of the "97% of scientists who believe that AGW is settled science" are honest-to-goodness climatologists or in directly related disciplines, as opposed to PhDs with opinions.

Absolutely a minority of them. From only my own interactions over the years (and I'm only a physical scientist), 75% of them are biologists and "environmental scientists"*.

* In quotes because modern "environmental scientists" are a far cry from actual environmental scientists. I had an old friend, from before the AGW movement, who was an actual environmental scientist, and she used to get fuming about mixing up her discipline, which involved things like soil and atmospheric analysis, with the "new" environmental scientists that were all about Gaia and policy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »
I think they are just upset that more and more people realize they are full of it.  How dare everyone critique their work like their phony peer review process should have done.  

As far getting as getting deluged with information requests, if you work for the Govt or take their money, that is part of the deal.  Better have all that documentation lined up.  They would be doing the same if the shoe was on the other foot.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
<snark>

Where I used to work, an awful lot of people had the title of scientist who didn't know an 8-32 screw from a 4-40 screw, and couldn't tell you the difference between a cation and an anion.

And no, a cation is not a wandering cat.

</snark>

"Hey, what's a proton donor?"
"Why, somebody who gives out protons, of course."
"Why, that's an acid remark."
"Well, pHooie on you."
"-OH, let's just be neutral about it."

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »
Why would a scientist know practical stuff about different screws?  I thought they had engineers and grad students actually build everthing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:39:30 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 07:59:26 PM »
Well, Bedlamite,  you convinced me.   It's all the  USPS's fault!! [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 10:37:29 PM »
Well, Bedlamite,  you convinced me.   It's all the  USPS's fault!! [tinfoil]
Well, that and fistful's, of course.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
If AGW is settled science, then there is no need for further study- end the flow of grants to all research involving climate change.   >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »
If AGW is settled science, then there is no need for further study- end the flow of grants to all research involving climate change.   >:D

:rofl:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 02:07:07 AM »
^ What fistful said.