Author Topic: Idiot that decided to pay all employees 70K a year? Reality has its say  (Read 33153 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Idiot that decided to pay all employees 70K a year? Reality has its say
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »
Kind of hard to judge scale in that picture but that chain looks kind of puny, I don't think it would hold up to the grandson's tricycle.

I think that chain is only driving a small oil pump.  Not really sure...
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:14 PM »
A manly man's transmission

http://www.4wdhub.com/trans/sm420.html

My Kaiser has one of those in it.

Yeah, I had a couple of those in my 1965s: one in the two ton and one in the step side.  Nice transmissions; I think they shift better than the SM465.  I'm on my third truck with one of those.

Come to think of it, the other two ton (1958) might have had a 420 also.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
Kind of hard to judge scale in that picture but that chain looks kind of puny, I don't think it would hold up to the grandson's tricycle.

Runs the hydraulic pump.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »
Maybe the guy should have just bought all of his employees a brand new pickup and be done with it  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
I think that chain is only driving a small oil pump.  Not really sure...

The tranny is one from a Oliver Super 88 tractor.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »
The tranny is one from a Oliver Super 88 tractor.

That brand of tractor used to be found oliver the mid-west  =)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »
Maybe the guy should have just bought all of his employees a brand new pickup and be done with it  :laugh:

We've been tossing the idea around here of, instead of maintaining a company fleet, putting all the sales reps and office staff on the waiting list for Elios; everybody can have their own for less than the cost of just putting the sales staff in nice looking econoboxes, and the fuel savings will be immense when you figure half the company does 500+ miles a week, with some clearing 1,000/week on occasion.  Push that over to "vehicle allowance" and give the option of having it go straight back to the company for each employee to buy their car.

Still working out the tax details of how to handle some financing the car and others just using it as a company car, but I'm hoping we go ahead with it.  90% of the driving done by sales and office staff is only one person and one seat worth of cargo, so we could get by on 1-2 trucks and 8-10 Elios without losing capability.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »
We've been tossing the idea around here of, instead of maintaining a company fleet, putting all the sales reps and office staff on the waiting list for Elios; everybody can have their own for less than the cost of just putting the sales staff in nice looking econoboxes, and the fuel savings will be immense when you figure half the company does 500+ miles a week, with some clearing 1,000/week on occasion.  Push that over to "vehicle allowance" and give the option of having it go straight back to the company for each employee to buy their car.

Still working out the tax details of how to handle some financing the car and others just using it as a company car, but I'm hoping we go ahead with it.  90% of the driving done by sales and office staff is only one person and one seat worth of cargo, so we could get by on 1-2 trucks and 8-10 Elios without losing capability.

So the sales reps and office staff are Morlocks?   ???
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »

Somehow all I can think about is sharing the road with 18 wheelers in one of those  :O

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
So the sales reps and office staff are Morlocks?   ???

Very close. They'd be waiting for Eloi, not Elios. The Eloi probably taste a lot better, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
I wonder if the Elios will ever make it to production.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2015, 01:04:05 PM »

I know of one concrete company that does that for their salesman. They buy the trucks and pay for all the fuel in them and the ones I have seen were top of the line trucks like a Ram Big Horn or F-150 Platinum. Whether it saves them money I don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »
I know of one concrete company that does that for their salesman. They buy the trucks and pay for all the fuel in them and the ones I have seen were top of the line trucks like a Ram Big Horn or F-150 Platinum. Whether it saves them money I don't know.

A $40K pickup once versus $70K salary every year  ;)

Plus ... it neatly ties this thread together  :laugh:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2015, 01:21:34 PM »
So the sales reps and office staff are Morlocks?

That would be an upgrade for sales.

Somehow all I can think about is sharing the road with 18 wheelers in one of those

Meh; no worse than any other vehicle under about 20 tons.  A fully loaded 18 wheeler or large bus will fold an F-450 into about the same size ball as it does with a Geo Metro.  Watched it happen once.  Thankfully, there was no way anybody was going to see what the Ford's occupant(s) looked like until the FD did a lot of cutting, so I was gone before they got inside.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
That's on top of salary.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
Meh; no worse than any other vehicle under about 20 tons.  A fully loaded 18 wheeler or large bus will fold an F-450 into about the same size ball as it does with a Geo Metro.  Watched it happen once.  Thankfully, there was no way anybody was going to see what the Ford's occupant(s) looked like until the FD did a lot of cutting, so I was gone before they got inside.

At least the truck drive would know he hit something.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »
Looks like it working out for Gravity and pissing a few folks off.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/the-70000-minimum-wage-experiment-reveals-a-dark-truth.html/?ref=YF&tpl=op

That article added no new information except that the company hasn't failed yet.

He just destroyed the incentive structure in his business. It's unlikely to cause immediate collapse of a already profitable business. Instead, it will manifest in slowly deteriorating quality due to an exodus of his better employees, leading to an exodus of clients.

It's great he wants to sacrifice and help out his employees. But I'm betting his noble self-congratulations will start to wane as he is putting in 120 hour weeks and sees his employees work 40 hours and go home to enjoy their families. (And he may start to understand the incentive problem at this point. I'm betting pride won't let him admit it until the company fails, though.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
There is no incentive to be a high performer.

Eventually the floor will be established of what the minimum amount of work is that is required to keep your job; then that is what on average the staff will end up doing.

If there is a profit sharing plan, that will inspire some to work harder and they will probably feel animosity toward those who refuse to pull harder.

Interesting experiment but I don't really think it is sustainable.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
That article added no new information except that the company hasn't failed yet.

He just destroyed the incentive structure in his business. It's unlikely to cause immediate collapse of a already profitable business. Instead, it will manifest in slowly deteriorating quality due to an exodus of his better employees, leading to an exodus of clients.

It's great he wants to sacrifice and help out his employees. But I'm betting his noble self-congratulations will start to wane as he is putting in 120 hour weeks and sees his employees work 40 hours and go home to enjoy their families. (And he may start to understand the incentive problem at this point. I'm betting pride won't let him admit it until the company fails, though.)

Oh, I should also note he may, very likely, get better output from his employees who weren't making $70K already. Of course he had a reason he wasn't paying them that much already: the value they added to the company did not justify it. Thus, their better output is highly unlikely to be enough to compensate for the significant salary increase.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2015, 03:49:30 PM »
But if they were already a poor performer, working a little better still may not be to the level of better employees.

IMO, it is the better employees that make things work.  The ones who get the job done consistently, who can solve problems without constantly making the boss figure it out.  The ones who don't need to be "managed" all the time who the boss can assign tasks without worrying about it getting done right.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »
But if they were already a poor performer, working a little better still may not be to the level of better employees.

IMO, it is the better employees that make things work.  The ones who get the job done consistently, who can solve problems without constantly making the boss figure it out.  The ones who don't need to be "managed" all the time who the boss can assign tasks without worrying about it getting done right.

The ones who are leaving because they are making the same as the mail clerk....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
There is no incentive to be a high performer.

Eventually the floor will be established of what the minimum amount of work is that is required to keep your job; then that is what on average the staff will end up doing.

If there is a profit sharing plan, that will inspire some to work harder and they will probably feel animosity toward those who refuse to pull harder.

Interesting experiment but I don't really think it is sustainable.

$70k/year is the minimum salary for the company, not everyone only gets paid that, appears that some people will get paid more.

Earlier this year, a small Seattle-based payment processing company made headlines when its 31-year-old CEO made a rather jarring change to the company’s pay structure: Gravity Payments would pay all employees, at a bare minimum, $70,000 annually.

I think it is pissing people off because the owner decided to reduce his own salary to pay the workers more, this almost totally unheard of in the modern business environment where the top keep growing their salary by shitting on workers.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »
Huh.  It's mentioned that he was inspired by a study showing that ~$70k is the 'optimal' happiness point.

I think I've read that study.  The best way I can explain it is that it turns out that money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure can be used to prevent or 'pay off' unhappiness.

IE, when you're hitting ~$70k/year, you stop gathering extra unhappiness from lack of funds.

Extra money will make you happier if you're unhappy because you're having trouble meeting your bills, having to budget every dollar, etc...  If you're unhappy because you have no friends, or don't have a girlfriend or something, then more money will only provide a transitional, almost illusionary gain in happiness.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »

Not sure why some folks outright hate the guy. I can understand the adage of "Hire good people, pay them well". It's a good strategy, and I've seen it work. "Hire good people, pay them market or below market wages, demand above average performance" only works if you can handle high turnover or it's a terrible economy.

That said, I would have just given everyone a $20k raise instead.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.