Author Topic: Cat people....HELP!  (Read 4439 times)

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cat people....HELP!
« on: April 24, 2005, 04:39:26 PM »
OK, I am a cat person. Don't like dogs, too servile. I came home for lunch today and found a kitten lying in the road in front of my house. In a small pool of blood. It had apparently been "dropped" from a passing car. I moved it off into the grass in my yard and figured it would soon expire. Well, at 6pm, when I came home from work, it was still alive and had moved from where I had put it. Upon closer examination, It appears to be 1-2 weeks old (eyes not open yet) and the bleeding had stopped. Had my daughter bring it in the house and it is now in my computer room, in a well padded box.
Daughter tried to give it some milk via eye dropper, but no deal. The general consensus in the house is to wait until tomorrow, and if the kitten is still alive, take it to the local vet.  Now, we are NOT wealthy and this is likely to cost hundreds of dollars in vet fees to find out what? My conscience tells me to do whatever it takes to make this right, but  reality is standing there, saying " Hey Dumb***, you can't afford this ****!

Help?

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
Sadly to say if it was truly in a pool of blood it may not make the night... But more is needed to be known...

Is the cat still bleeding? Any open cuts etc.   When your gently rub his/her sides belly and head does it shy away like its in a lot of pain because of broken ribs, legs etc.
That its moved is usually a good sign though...

The Eye dropper thing is a good idea.  Milk may not be the best thing but if its the best you have make sure its warm like you would for a baby.  Make sure it stays warm.  If you truly want to save it the thing needs to be fed often (If I remember correctly like every 4-5 hours...)

Standing Wolf

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 04:58:28 PM »
Cow's milk isn't ideal for cats. Pet shops often have special formulæ for very young kittens.

Your local Humane Society or A.S.P.C.A. may be able to take in the poor little critter.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 05:19:50 PM »
Thanks, folks. The bleeding seems to have been from a "bloody nose" type of injury and has since ceased.  The kitten  is now sleeping peacefully in it's box. When touched, it does not exhibit signs of advanced injury.  My biggest worry is how to get it fed. It won't take warmed milk from the eyedropper, so far.  I guess we'll see in the morning if further attention is warranted. Danged cute little thing. Looks like a Siamese.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:00:39 PM »
Can always run to wal-mart or the likes they sell cat formula and the special dropper with measurements..forgot to mention that in my first post.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 08:25:06 PM »
If there's a PetSmart, PetCo or Petland in your area it's probably more cost-efficient per feeding to buy the kitten replacement formula there. Wallyworld may not have an adequate supply on hand for your needs if the kitten goes 4 or more weeks before weaning. My cats nursed for about 9-12 weeks until MawCat finally thwipped them away. If there is a mother cat still nursing kittens anywhere near you, that might even be a more viable option. Check with your vet. I'd say your odds of the kitten surviving are 50-50 at best at this point, if it survives the next 24  to 48 hours, unfortunately.

Good Luck! BTDT.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Typhoon

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 08:54:05 PM »
Whoops!  Rabbit beat me to it, but I'll post my message anyway...

Go to your local Petco or the like.  You will need a product called, KMR (Kitten Milk Relpacer) and a kitten nurser.  It has been my experience that the opening in the nipple is too small, so you may need to widen it with an ice pick or an Xacto knife.  

Room temperature should be fine, but if you refrigerate the leftovers, you can warm up the formula in the microwave. BE VERY CAREFUL about the temperature. Just a few seconds should do it.

For a kitten that age, you need at least four daily feedings at first (preferably five) then you can taper off after a couple of weeks.  One thing you need to be aware of, is that at that young of an age, kittens need some external stimulus to help them evacuate.  About one hour after feeding, put the kitten on some newspaper, and with a warm dampened cloth, simulate the motions made by the mother during grooming (if you get my idea&).

You may not get much at first as the kitten has not had much nourishment, but in time, youll get some results.  Not the most pleasant of businesses, but unfortunately necessary.  After a few weeks, the kittens bowels should kick in on their own.  (Mine did right on top of a particularly obnoxious television personality as I was lifting him up one day.  After I stopped laughing, I had to commend the kitten for his astute political sense.)

It is a lot of work at first, but the rewards can be well worth the effort.  Hand-fed cats tend to be very loving and bond better with people than conventionally reared ones.  Although I curse the &%!@#! who abandoned mine at about the same age, when all was said and done I got a gorgeous, healthy cat who lived a long, happy life.  Thanks, &%!@#!

Good luck!
To the stars!

mhdishere

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 05:19:48 AM »
OK, my first post here but I couldn't pass this up.

First, like everyone else said, get the kitten formula and eyedropper.  If she doesn't have any serious injuries you should be able to bring her along with basic supplies like the formula.  Malnutrition and dehydration are her worst enemies now, kittens, like all babies, need quite a lot of nutrition in small doses.

I found a kitten on my birthday in 1990 on my front lawn, her eyes were open but she wasn't more than 4 or 5 weeks old I'd guess.  I suspect she was the runt of the litter.  I fed her with an eyedropper, then bought her kitten food, then started just giving her regular catfood after I noticed she was eating the adult cat food and the grown cat I had was eating the kitten food.  She's an old girl now, still tiny (6-7 lbs), but loveable.

I don't understand people who dump animals like that.  If you don't want the animal or can't care for it put it down humanely, don't dump it someplace to starve to death.  Even drowning it in a bucket of water is better than starving.  The more people I meet the more I like animals.

Stetson

• friends
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 07:19:49 AM »
Emergency kitten food -- Small eyedropper and cream mixed with Karo syrup.  This is only to be used if you cannot get to a Vet or petstore that has the kitten kit.  A friend of mine is a vet and I called him to make sure.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 08:53:32 AM »
Wow! I had no idea...All you rough/tough gunslingers and look at this! Just kidding; I am very appreciative of the advice. The kitten is at the vet right now, getting re-hydrated and some antibiotics. Will bring it home this PM and the fun begins.

Typhoon: Ewwwwwwwwwww! But ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I suppose.

Again, thanks for the encouragement. Will have to post some pics one of these days of the cat family. This one makes #6!

Stickjockey

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »
What SW and JJ said. Cow's milk isn't the best for cats, though they love it. Get the replacement formula
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

P5 Guy

Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 01:19:20 PM »
I would hae taken the poor thing to a Vet and at least had it put down if I had no desire to keep it.

grampster

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 04:17:25 AM »
Now that you have one, you'll have to find a 2nd one for a companion.  Cats are cool.  Many cat lovers here (I think) There are a lot of us over on THR.   They are low maintenance as they are not gluttons like dogs and can be left with a supply of water and food and clean litter for a couple days at a time.
They won't run your life like dogs will.  
I just heard someone figured out a new variety of litter made from grain.  Need to find out more about this.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TarpleyG

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 04:22:00 AM »
How's the kitten this morning?  What'd the vet say?

Greg

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 05:02:28 AM »
The kitten is doing fine. No major injuries and she (yes, she) got some IV re-hydration. Now doing the Amoxicyllin regimen (is it a given that any time you go to the vet, you get this stuff?). She took to the feeding bottle like a fiend and is very active when not sleeping. My daughter has taken responsibility for kitten care, at least for the time being. As for companionship, we already had 5 cats, so no problem there!
The future is looking considerably brighter for this little one. Thanks again for the support.

mhdishere

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 06:19:50 AM »
garyk/nm,
That's great, you've got yourself a life-long friend.

Leatherneck

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 07:21:44 AM »
Heh. Rescues are cool, even if you do wind up with another *cat*

Our latest was part of a barn litter orphaned by a mowing accident, and unweaned. The vegetable stand was giving them away with a purchase. No dummies, those farmers.

As someone said above, hand-raised, Buffy has turned out to be a very affectionate cat that actually comes running when called! First cat in history to do that.

He was able to be weaned quite early, when he still weighed about three ounces or so. He's a huge longhair ruffian now, not afraid of anything.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 03:27:53 PM »
Quote from: grampter
They are low maintenance as they are not gluttons like dogs and can be left with a supply of water and food and clean litter for a couple days at a time.
They won't run your life like dogs will.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.  Maybe "lesser maintenance" unless the cat gets urinary issue going, or an irritable tummy that only manifests itself as projectile vomiting in the middle of the night.  As far a gluttony goes, I've never seen a dog eat all ITS food in a big darn hurry, yack it back up on the carpet, go eat all of the other dogs food like a starvation victum, yack THAT up, then whine for more. Cheesy

Kewl Beans about rescuing the kitten garyk/nm.  Post up some pics so we all can share. Smiley  My first cat Bastet (still around 14 years later) was also a rescure kitten.  Some {CENSORED} {CENSORED} had tossed her in a garbage dumpster to get rid of her.  There is a special place in the Christian Hell for the villain who did that, which will be a far cray from what *I'D* if I knew who the creature was.

Grampter: I think this (http://www.sweetscoop.com/) is what you may be thinking of.  I use it in two of the four cat boxes in my home since two of the four cats prefer it to the clay based clumping litter.  Clumps decently enough to easily scoop out of the boxes, although its lighter per unit volume than other litters, so it does not "feel right" to the two cats who don't like it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BobCat

Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 10:51:58 AM »
garyk/nm,

Great to hear she is doing well!  Just found this thread and jumped to the end to find out if she survived.

Two of ours were found-on-road, about 7 years apart; Texas Highway 36, and Zippy (Zip!Zip!Zip! on-with-the-trip!) - both are affectionate but not clingy.  Neither quite as young as your girl - about 10 and 6 weeks, respectively.

If she is real young, search the web for "Kitten Glop" - here is one recipe stolen from someone's web site, it works real well:

Plagerized recipe *************************************
KITTEN GLOP
Unflavored Knox Gelatin
Eggs
Plain Yogurt (with live cultures)
Mayonnaise (not low fat or Miracle Whip)
Light Karo Syrup (light meaning in color-not the dark Karo syrup)
Evaporated Goat Milk (next to regular canned milk in grocery store)
Canned pumpkin
Taurine capsules (from health food store)

Mix together and set aside:
2 pkts of Knox Gelatin
2 cups boiling water

Mix together (whisk after each addition):
4 eggs (yolks only)
4 Tablespoons Plain Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
2 tsp. light Karo Syrup
1 can (12 oz) evaporated goat milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 Taurine capsules (open capsules and pour powder into milk mix)

After mixing add the Knox Gelatin you had set aside.
This will keep in your refrigerator for 7 days.... don't panic when you open
the refrigerator and find you have gelatin milk...because that is what
happens to it. I take what I need out, warm back to its liquid state in the
microwave and serve to the babies. They love it. I have had no diarrhea,
refusal to drink formula or other side effects from this.
For longer storage, freeze in ice cube trays. Two cubes fill a 2 oz kitten
bottle.
********************************* end of plagerized recipe

Remember to handle and groom her - they socalize better with the human touch.

And your daughter - don't know how old she is, but if young this is an excellent life lesson for her.  And responsibilities of being a kitten-mom will make her more circumspect about taking chances with being an inadvertant mom when she gets old enough.

Purrrs,
BobCat

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 11:53:33 AM »
I actually had to wait a day before I could finish reading the first post.  I got all choked up and had to leave it.  
Im glad your little girl found you, and that you are taking good care of her.  Hopefully it is the beginning of many years of companionship.
On the bottle baby issue  it is true that they tend to be more affectionate.  My little girl Josie still sleeps curled up at my neck every night.  However, our vet calls them bottle brats because they also tend to suffer from prima donna issues.  My girls are also Calico and the same vet says they have toritude.  Now that Im writing this, I realize that it sounds like he just doesnt like my cats! Lol
The oldest, Gizmo comes when she's called, herds the little girl at "round up" time and is our guard "dog".  The younger girl, Josie fetches very well, and will continue for hours as long as you keep throwing for her.
Good on ya, Garyk for doing the right thing by this kitty.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 03:47:20 PM »
Update: Samantha's (after a childhood kitty) eyes are open, and she is very affectionate already. Loves to be stroked after feeding, and gets a good purr going. My daughter is 13 and this is a good lesson for her.  Good thinking, BobCat! I hadn't considered that aspect, but you are absolutely correct!
 Brrlgrrl, I'm not in this for the glory, but your "good on ya" is kindly accepted. BTW, pinochle is a kickass game, once you learn all of the rules.

Folks, thanks again for the support. It has certainly been a help.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 07:20:25 PM »
garyk/nm -

You know what would finish this post off nicely..  a picture of Samantha. (hint hint)

Glad she turned out ok. Also glad to hear that you are keeping her.

BobCat

Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 04:26:34 AM »
garyk/nm,

Yeah, kitten pictures are always good to see!

And btw I assume the Vet told your daughter about using a damp paper towel on the bottom to "stimulate elimination."  Momma cat does this with her tongue; to start the urinary and gastrointestinal tracts running, as well as to get rid of the smelly stuff - to keep predators (other predators) from locating the kittens.

your daughter might want to join the Feline-L mailing list (www.feline-l.com) - the Internet Cat Ladies have a lot of knowledge and are willing to share it. .

Purrrs,
BobCat

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 11:46:47 AM »
My Wife and I a few years ago had to bottle feed wild bunnies.  Out of the 7, five lived (one died natuarally, the second we had to put down).  We found the mother had become entrapped in some old fence and died, and my Terrier was "playing" with the babies.

Tough job.  When we bought the one to be put down to the emergency shelter, they wanted to charge us.  When I explained that we had found them, they wouldn't release the carcass to us, as we were not allowed to have wild animals in MA- alive or not!!!

Absolutely nuts.

You are a good person for doing this...

At the beginning you had mentioned vet bills.  Were they a lot?  Needs some funds to offset the charges?  Don't mind donating for something like this.

M
One day at a time.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cat people....HELP!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 02:42:06 PM »
ex-ma hole, appreciate the offer, but the vet bill was only $72 and that is in the budget.
Pics are forthcoming, as soon as I get 'hold of a digital camera and figure out how to post them.