Author Topic: Skunks, deer, and other pests  (Read 1046 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Skunks, deer, and other pests
« on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »
So I was a little late getting the ducks into their house last night- it was an hour after sundown instead of still twilight as I prefer.

I was talking so they didn't get frightened when I came around the duck house... and I'm very glad I did because a juvenile skunk was just beating a retreat under our fence. Little bit of a pucker factor there.

This morning, something had clearly been in the duck's pen. (The house ought to be predator proof and so it appears.)

So, I need to start doing skunk abatement. I'm planning to put fencing about 1 foot underground all around the interior pen and shed.

We also have groundhogs that have taken up residence under the shed. (Separate building from the duck house.) Harassing them has not deterred them from their "home." (They also have a penchant for chewing electrical wires they have unearthed.  

Further, either the skunk or the groundhogs or the deer that live just up the hill from us have been eating some of our apples and destroying some of my tomatoes. (They aren't eating the tomatoes, apparently they don't like the taste, but they are biting them. Teeth marks don't appear to be from a carnivore/omnivore like the skunk, but it could be the deer or the groundhog. The deer are most likely the apple-eaters off the tree, but any animal can get the windfall apples.)

So, since we are in town (not even close to the city limits, we just have several large stands of forest and open fields nearby), the APS go to methods for dealing with these pests are not legal.  

Should I call animal control or will that just compound the problem? (I'm sorry, sir, we can't/won't do anything and you aren't allowed to do anything, either.)

Trap is one idea for the groundhogs, but I could end up with the skunk, which is a headache I'd rather not deal with.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Skunks, deer, and other pests
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
Have Trump build a wall?

Pee on all four corners of your property?

Avoid Officialdom at all costs, except maybe the County Extension Agent.  (They're usually less citation-hungry than other agents of da goobmint, that is, more realistic in their outlook regarding farmey problems.)

Get ready for skunk spray in advance.  There are a couple of skunkstink mitigation DIY kitchen preparations on line, including here at APS.

S,s,s? < Illegal, probably, so it's not a recommendation, just an assessment of possibilities.   (Whew, did I get out of that one legally?)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
Seconding the thought to not involve officialdom in any shape or manner.

How high-tech do you want to go?  Weekly application of predator urine extract to various wicks located near what you want to protect?  15-foot high-amperage deer fences?  Covering the duck enclave in chicken wire that is also buried 2-3 feet below grade at the perimeter?

Use smoke to find the groundhogs' entrances then encapsulate them with plaster of Paris and hope they suffocate before they burrow back to the surface?  Give up the garden/orchard and turn it into a skate park?  Get the playlist SF used to drive Noriega out?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
You moved into the critters habitat, so get over it  :P

:rofl:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
a .22, subsonic ammo and a 1 liter plastic bottle? I saw it in the movies so it must be legit. ;)

The skunk can probably be taken care of with a live trap, a can of tuna and a blanket to cover him with after he is in the trap, then the above suggestion.

The groundhogs will be more of a problem as will the deer. Good luck

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
Seconding the thought to not involve officialdom in any shape or manner.

How high-tech do you want to go?  Weekly application of predator urine extract to various wicks located near what you want to protect?  15-foot high-amperage deer fences?  Covering the duck enclave in chicken wire that is also buried 2-3 feet below grade at the perimeter?

Use smoke to find the groundhogs' entrances then encapsulate them with plaster of Paris and hope they suffocate before they burrow back to the surface?  Give up the garden/orchard and turn it into a skate park?  Get the playlist SF used to drive Noriega out?

stay safe.

Well, the chicken wire 1-2 feet below the surface is already in the plans. The ducks have a house, an inner more secure pen (which the skunk penetrated through a less than secure fence to be addressed soon) and an outer, fenced yard within my further fenced yard. The inner pen and area around the house are planned to have chicken wire beneath the ground already. The outer pen is meant to only be used in daylight.

Unfortunately, as I stated, I'm in town, so firearm discharge is both completely illegal and not an option. Possible to use CO for the skunk?

Get a trap, put it in a hole, tarp over the hole, exhaust into the tarp? Or, given that CO is slightly lighter than air, should I just do CO2 and deal with the skunk flipping out?

Same idea for groundhogs? (After the trap and hole are fully cleaned of the skunk smell.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:21 PM »
Get a bottle of this before you deal with the skunk:

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Off-OW900-Liquid-Soaker-8-Ounce/dp/B001ATDTCG
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »
An up and coming popular method for suicide is inert gas asphyxiation using helium or nitrogen. If you could get the skunk into a closed area like your hole with a tarp and flood it with helium it would do the deed and Mr. Stripes wouldn't even know what happened which would help prevent the release of that noxious fluid skunks are known for.

As far as the groundhogs it is kind of late in the year to think about trapping but it may still be done. Get a live trap, often available from your local shelter for a small deposit, and put it 3-5feet away from the burrow entrance along their path. To encourage use of the trap you can use cantaloupe, strawberries, green beans or even lettuce to bait it with. Making a little trail to the trap may help. Once you have one then what are you going to do with it? Kill it is one option, relocation about 5-10 miles away is another but make sure it is legal in your area. Rub the trap with your bait, wear gloves and hope for the best.

The deer are a problem of their own, we have a herd of 300-400 Blacktail in our community and they love tulips, apples or nearly any other ornamental you put out. I use commercially available sprays, one is the sulfuric rotten egg small and the other is pepper spray smelling. They seem to work. There are DIY recipes for both available on the web but because I use such a small amount I just buy it. You may want to mix your own because of the amount of spray you will need for a tree.

bob

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:30 PM »
Gee whiz, what about a barrel or plastic horse trough, and a garden hose  :facepalm:

Some assembly required  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
... And here I am, kicking myself because I keep forgetting to get a salt lick or some such treat for the deer that hang around here... Even if they did come on the steps to eat my strawberries last year (Dad swears up and down it was my "pretty girl")

The only constructive thing I have to add is I would be wary of gassing the groundhogs in their home if it's under semi occupied place, unless you're planning on staying well away from that place until the decomp has passed the stinky point.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:29:40 AM »

The only constructive thing I have to add is I would be wary of gassing the groundhogs in their home if it's under semi occupied place, unless you're planning on staying well away from that place until the decomp has passed the stinky point.

Why do you think I suggested plaster of Paris to seal up their burrow?  Anaerobic decomposition with all sorts of worms coming in to work the soil.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 04:53:46 AM »
... And here I am, kicking myself because I keep forgetting to get a salt lick or some such treat for the deer that hang around here... Even if they did come on the steps to eat my strawberries last year (Dad swears up and down it was my "pretty girl")

5 or 6 years ago I buried a mineral block on the back of my place. The deer and other critters still tear up the spot.

So far this year the deer have wiped out my tomatoes, green beans, pinto beans, most of my flint corn and are keeping the tender leaves eaten off of my okra.

Had to dispatch a opossum Monday morning. I keep my bacon feed in a plastic trash barrel. I emptied it Sunday evening and left the lid off of it. I started to drop a sack of feed in it and saw a wad of grey fur balled up in the empty sack. I figured it was a cat that sometimes holes up in my shop so I just upended the barrel and out rolls a nasty old opossum. I went Lizzie Borden on his ass.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »
Pellet gun
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
Bought a couple live traps online. 

They work great, unless your dog likes what you have baited them with, and then you walk outside and damn near have a coronary from laughing because the dog got her head caught in the live trap a bit and is in the process of shaking/pushing it off her head.  She got loose before i recovered from laughing.

Nonetheless, still caught several possums.

Oh, I also caught one of our chickens in a "friendly fire" incident similar to the dog above. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »
I've used 220 traps to get groundhogs before.  They work but setting them is a bear.  It's an option.

For deer supposedly Milorganite, an organic fertilizer, will deter them.  It's pretty good stuff for the lawn, doesn't cost too much, but it does smell a bit.  It's human feces.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 10:32:35 PM »
But it's a dried feces.

stay safe.

sorry, I just couldn't help doing that.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 05:08:53 AM »
I'll use a heavy mesh or hardware cloth flat on the ground running about 18 inches to the outside of the pen and it keeps the animals from digging in and I drown skunks possums and raccoons live trap blanket over top for the skunks water trough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I