Author Topic: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb  (Read 42309 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
So you think he did, in fact, build an Alarm Clock.

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »
My contraption after being taken from me by a bully and played with garnered attention from school officials as well, of course back then it didn't involve police, but wasn't a pleasant experience either. This was probably about 1983 or so ...

Your own fault, for not booby trapping it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »
Ummm... Is anybody else seeing what I am seeing?

Please pass the brain bleach.

Oh, and thanks for causing me to take a second look ...

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
Ummm... Is anybody else seeing what I am seeing?

I saw what vaguely looked like a naked fat person of undetermined sex.  I thought leaving it at "vaguely" and moving on made a lot of sense.  I haven't zoomed in on it.  Was I right?  (still not zooming in)
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »

A COMMENT SECTION GOES HORRIBLY WRONG: In order to pretend they didn’t completely jump the gun on the Ahmed the clockmaker story, the DIY-oriented Hackaday Website runs – just out of the blue, totally for kicks and grins, no reason, just seems so pleasin’ – a story titled “Clocks for Social Good.” Things begin to go awry in the comments...

You know how you periodically investigate a kick-starter, going over public pictures and asking real questions about “is this real”?

The difference in the way you are approaching Ahmed’s clock and a random kickstarter is really really painful to watch. Your credibility is on the line here and you really really need to say “yeah okay we were taken in by a story that was too good to check”.

Ahmed’s clock was just a disassembled commercial clock. It’s painfully obvious. And to your readers, it’s even more painfully obvious than it is to a lay person.

I’m embarrassed for you guys. You keep doubling down on “lay people hate science” when what they really hate is being lied to to advance a narrative.

Right now, it’s starting to look like you either are incapable of spotting an obvious fake, or that you don’t like facts get in the way of the story you want to tell. Neither is good for your credibility.

All that said, these are really cool clocks, and the bomb post was good too. But it’s obvious you’re trying to cover up your error. Quit blowing smoke and own up to it.

Hey, you knwo what? It would make a good “fail of the week” post. And for the same reasons. Failure happens, it’s nothing to be ashamed of, and we cant’ let it get in the way of trying. We need to normalize admitting error so that more people will do it.

I also think a post where you examine Ahmed’s clock the way you examine anything else, trying to identify chips, boards, and model numbers would be good forensic work.

Oh, his teacher said don’t show it to anyone else so he took it to every class. Right, his dad ran for President of the Sudan, twice, and is an attention seeking activist for Sharia Law in small town Texas. While the school officials were waiting for the parents who were late to a meeting they saw them on TV giving news conferences. Not that that means anything. And the clock, the thing that looks like many a movie bomb prop, carried into ever class where teachers are under the law, Mandated Reporters, like police.

I also built tons of things as a kid. Starting at a young age, and without millionaire parents or the internet, or high quality award winning schools to help me. Dont forget where you are posting.

The clock he used had to be plugged into the wall, set to go off that period, and allowed to go off.. The teacher involved is being attacked for thinking this was potentially a hoax bomb, when it looks just like a bomb in many ways.

He did create a moron detector- anyone lauding him and sending him free things for disrupting class is a moron!

I am not attacking the kid. This is a issue of truth vs BS. I am leftist and personally believe police often racially profile, and that societies tiered class structure is unacknowledged and built partially unfairly on things like where you were born and what race you are.

Giving MIT scholarships out randomly is sad to see for someone who had to work hard all through all of high school.

FYI: Mandated Reporter
In many parts of the world, mandated reporters are people who have regular contact with vulnerable people and are therefore legally required to ensure a report is made when abuse is observed or suspected. Specific details vary across jurisdictions—the abuse that must be reported may include neglect, or financial, physical, sexual, or other types of abuse. Mandated reporters may include paid or unpaid people who have assumed full or intermittent responsibility for the care of a child, dependent adult, or elder.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »

:lol:

I see what you did there.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2015, 12:05:24 AM »

"He didn't build that."  -POTUS
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
And now the continuation of the story...
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/2015/09/23/ahmeds-family-hires-lawyers-to-help-get-clock-from-irving-police/72675964/

IRVING -- The family of a 14-year-old Irving student arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school earlier this month has retained lawyers and is seeking to regain his science project from the Irving Police Department.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »
Time to revive this thread. Ahmed, the clock kid, is back in the news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/clock-kid-ahmed-mohamed-and-his-family-will-move-to-qatar/2015/10/20/a95ed296-7762-11e5-b9c1-f03c48c96ac2_story.html

The kid pulls a bone-headed stunt that backfired, and suddenly every terrorist cell country in the world wants him. Who would have expected that? So not only is he going to be going to school in Qatar, his entire family is moving to Qatar.

And then there's this:

He was among 300 visitors to “Astronomy Night,” a celebration of science and learning. Bill Nye the Science Guy was there, along with a number of standout students who have been recognized for scientific achievements throughout the country. Though some of those students received shoutouts during President Obama’s comments, there was no mention of Ahmed in the audience. That didn’t stop reporters from shouting to him from behind the rope lines: “Ahmed! How are you feeling?”

And that's what wrong with this country. All it takes to be included in an "elite" group of future scientists, apparently, is the ability to pull the guts out of a Radio Shack digital alarm clock and stuff them into a pencil box. Heck, I was doing stuff like that when I was 7 or 8 years old, and I didn't get invited to the White House. (Of course, I didn't get busted for bringing a pseudo-bomb to school, either. And I'm not Muslim.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2015, 07:51:25 AM »
The kid pulls a bone-headed stunt that backfired, and suddenly every terrorist cell country in the world wants him. Who would have expected that? So not only is he going to be going to school in Qatar, his entire family is moving to Qatar.

I question whether it backfired, but I guess moving to Qatar might indicate that it did. Unless they wanted to live in Qatar. ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2015, 07:56:41 AM »
I question whether it backfired, but I guess moving to Qatar might indicate that it did. Unless they wanted to live in Qatar. ???
Seems like a step up from Sudan...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2015, 08:06:36 AM »
I wonder if his older sister is going to have to cover up in Qatar. How strict are they there?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
Seems like a step up from Sudan...

IIRC, Bombhoaxkid also met with the Pres of Sudan, you know, the one who ethnically cleansed Darfur of Christians.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Texas 14-year-old arrested for homemade clock that looked like a bomb
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2015, 02:58:25 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/clock-kid-ahmed-mohamed-and-his-family-will-move-to-qatar/2015/10/20/a95ed296-7762-11e5-b9c1-f03c48c96ac2_story.html

And then there's this:

And that's what wrong with this country. All it takes to be included in an "elite" group of future scientists, apparently, is the ability to pull the guts out of a Radio Shack digital alarm clock and stuff them into a pencil box. Heck, I was doing stuff like that when I was 7 or 8 years old, and I didn't get invited to the White House. (Of course, I didn't get busted for bringing a pseudo-bomb to school, either. And I'm not Muslim.)
Seems like a good reward for showing our enemies just how vulnerable our schools are, thanks to political correctness.

What's the American word for "Beslan"?......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2015, 03:30:27 PM »
What's the American word for "Beslan"?......

Probably something like "Beslan."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »

And then there's this:

Good riddance.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »
I heard he'll be attending Truck Driving school there.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2015, 12:24:14 AM »
I heard he'll be attending Truck Driving school there.

. . . or rudimentary pilot training.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
. . . or rudimentary pilot training.

Much less focus on landing than intermediate pilot training.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
He'll be back....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »
He'll be back....
I wonder if his second appearance will blow up like his first.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.