Author Topic: Boehner Resigns?  (Read 5750 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Boehner Resigns?
« on: September 25, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/25/boehner-resigning-from-congress.html

Supposedly he announced he is resigning from Congress at the end of October.

Hopefully somebody with some backbone takes over.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Boehner Resigns
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/25/boehner-resigning-from-congress.html

He announced he is resigning from Congress at the end of October.

Hopefully somebody with some backbone takes over.

Magic 8-ball says:

Outlook not so good.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Boehner Resigns?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »
Boehner was such an ineffective, piss-poor leader I suspect he was on-board with the Dem agenda, soup to nuts.

Let us now see if we can leverage McConnell out of his shell as Senate Majority Leader.

Secret suspicion:
Is there another remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the works?

Magic 8-ball says:

Outlook not so good.

Indeed, unless someone outside the cadre of GOP House leadership is selected.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »
Woke up to the alert on my phone. There are certainly happier things to wake up to, but it's a short list.

I'll be very interested in the details as they come out. Supposedly it was news to literally EVERYONE. McCarthy and a few others were told less than five minutes before everyone else.

I'm betting on- A) That's bullshit, and there was enough private discontent he is being forced out "cleanly", B) Some massive scandal involved, C) Some sort of serious illness, likely with a bad prognosis. This is the only one of the three I'd feel sorry for him over. Regardless of the reason I found him to be an utterly weak, two faced, and worthless. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him.

But hey, news to report on this can wait. The POPE IS TALKING!
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I'm not all that excited, because who do we think is going to replace him? There is still a majority of career, establishment Republicans in the Congress. They are going to fight any even slightly libertarian or tea party oriented small government candidate.

Until we see a big change in the makeup of Congress, the party leaders will always be "establishment approved" people. Whether it's an establishment Democrat for the EBT and Obamaphone crowd, or an establishment Republican for the corporate favors and pork crowd.

It's not even really fully the politicians' fault. It's more the demographics of the country skewed so far to the "my hand is out, put something in it" population that votes for these people -- on both sides of the aisle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
If whoever replaces him has a set of balls, that alone would be a major improvement.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »
Well you don't have to be a member of congress to be speaker of the house.

So I guess if you have any political pull you can toss it at them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
Well you don't have to be a member of congress to be speaker of the house.

So I guess if you have any political pull you can toss it at them.

On that note: if only we had someone with experience as Speaker who actually had a backbone to follow through on promises...

(No, it isn't going to happen, but we've had ONE good speaker in my lifetime.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
On that note: if only we had someone with experience as Speaker who actually had a backbone to follow through on promises...

(No, it isn't going to happen, but we've had ONE good speaker in my lifetime.)
[popcorn]

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I'm not all that excited, because who do we think is going to replace him? . . .
Well, I don't think Lindsey Graham or John McCain will be leaving their Senate jobs to try for House Speaker . . . but there are still a good number of bad candidates for the post.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »
So how soon will Ohio hold an election to replace him, Chris, and who would be the front runner(s)?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 01:21:35 PM »
Don't jump up and down too much yet.  He has vowed to pass a "Clean" continuing resolution to avoid a .gov shutdown....

So he will commit one final sellout before riding out to life of speaking engagements and book advances...

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
So how soon will Ohio hold an election to replace him, Chris, and who would be the front runner(s)?

We have a general election coming up November 3rd, hence the leaving at the end of October.  In the last primary (2014) he faced a couple of competitors
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 01:31:29 PM »
Bob Michel: Tanned(1), Rested, and Ready.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Michel

At age 92, he is more spry than Reagan is. [Given Reagan is dead & buried]

(1) But not that very unsettling orange-tan we have been familiar with these last few years, just a regular tan like many humans can manage.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »
I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I'm not all that excited, because who do we think is going to replace him? There is still a majority of career, establishment Republicans in the Congress. They are going to fight any even slightly libertarian or tea party oriented small government candidate.

Until we see a big change in the makeup of Congress, the party leaders will always be "establishment approved" people. Whether it's an establishment Democrat for the EBT and Obamaphone crowd, or an establishment Republican for the corporate favors and pork crowd.

It's not even really fully the politicians' fault. It's more the demographics of the country skewed so far to the "my hand is out, put something in it" population that votes for these people -- on both sides of the aisle.

Our local rep, Mo Brooks, appeared on two local radio shows this morning, pointing out the next two reps in line for Boehner's position are even more liberal than Boehner.
Get your airsickness bags prepped; you may need them. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
If whoever replaces him has a set of balls, that alone would be a major improvement.

Just whose would they have?  And will they be pickled in a jar or all dried out and carried in a silk bag?

Lest we forget, the Speaker represents pretty much the middle ground of the majority party.  That being said, looking over the field of possible replacements leaves me with an abiding sense of  [barf].

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 07:32:14 PM »
Maybe he will sell us out on amnesty as a parting gift.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:05:57 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
And there was much rejoicing...

Boehner going away is in the same catagory as Big O leaving office.  I'm just happy he's gone.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
The R establishment claims to fear they'll get the blame for a government shutdown.  If the house and the senate pass a bill, any bill, that ends PP or secures our border and Obama vetoes it, HE gets the blame.  The fact that the RINOs seem not to understand this is not a case of ignorance.  It's a case of fraud.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
Bush 41 holds the presidency, a Dem Congress passes a funding plan he can't abide, vetoes it.  Pubbies get blamed.  Dear Leader holds the presidency, Pubbie Congress passes a funding plan he can't abide, vetoes it.  Pubbies get the blame.

Any questions?  Good.  Carry on...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Bush 41 holds the presidency, a Dem Congress passes a funding plan he can't abide, vetoes it.  Pubbies get blamed.  Dear Leader holds the presidency, Pubbie Congress passes a funding plan he can't abide, vetoes it.  Pubbies get the blame.

Any questions?  Good.  Carry on...

Correct, with the caveat that it depends on who Joe Public listens to. If he swallows Big Media talking points, he blames the Right. If he listens to right media, he may blame the Left.

I'd be a little more happy with a GOP that was eager to accept blame credit for govt. "shut-downs," rather than treat it like it was somehow a bad thing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »
The pubbies need to suck it up and take the blame when necessary.  They're too dang stuck on wanting to be liked by folks that will never like them anyway, and then it's cave city.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
The pubbies need to suck it up and take the blame when necessary.  They're too dang stuck on wanting to be liked by folks that will never like them anyway, and then it's cave city.

Butbutbut if we give the illegals the vote they will vote for us and not the Democrats who are promising them endless handouts!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
Ran into one of my congressmen* at Northern Illinois Hunting and Fishing Days on Sunday, and we discussed this while his kids were shooting BB guns.

His take was that although he would vote for Trey Gowdy in an instant, he thinks that McCarty will get it.  I told I was surprised that my other Congressman Peter Roskam wasn't in the leadership anymore and his reply was that  he wasn't re-elected to that spot because he wasn't liked by the establishment.

Yes, both are closet Tea-Partiers at least in outlook and votes, so they are not very much liked by the establishment.

* Yes, I have two.  Peter Roskam and Randall Hultgren.  At they both think I'm in their district.  For many years the line dividing the districts was two streets east of mine.  After the latest redraw it's now three streets west of me.  Both came out and spoke to the membership when I was president of ASC, and I've seen them both many times at other political functions I've attended along with visiting their offices when they were in Springfield.   So they both think I'm in their district.  I've done nothing to dissuade that belief.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 08:01:37 AM »

* Yes, I have two.  Peter Roskam and Randall Hultgren.  At they both think I'm in their district.  For many years the line dividing the districts was two streets east of mine.  After the latest redraw it's now three streets west of me.  Both came out and spoke to the membership when I was president of ASC, and I've seen them both many times at other political functions I've attended along with visiting their offices when they were in Springfield.   So they both think I'm in their district.  I've done nothing to dissuade that belief.  

Nothing wrong with that.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!