Author Topic: AR questions - with accompanying pic  (Read 22743 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Re: AR questions - with accompanying pic
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 03:51:59 PM »
I'd about swear the mag is upside down.
Maybe if there was a Magpul thing on the end it would go into the well.  I'd sure like a pic of that same scene 5 seconds later.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 03:52:31 PM »
I think that the inserted mag is a 10 or 20 rounder with a 30 round spare under it "jungle style", giving the illusion that its in backwards.  No way to get a mag in backwards on an AR/M16.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »
Never underestimate what force can do, especially to a wobbly AR mag.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »
Well, I had em on the phone but couldn't get the right person to talk to. There's only one officer at the station and she's occupied. I'm going to try again in the morning.

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
Look carefully at the vertical lines of the magazine(s). There is an offset that starts about halfway down.

That makes me think there are two (2) magazines - but I can't see where/how they are being held together.

Hope there is some clarification available tomorrow.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 04:17:14 PM »
Wait, is this Marble Falls, TX? If so, they're a client at work. Hmm... if you have no joy 280plus, let me know and I can try to hit up the records supervisor there to ask around. If they're not still mad at us for some delays last month that is. . .  police

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 04:17:57 PM »
LOL,,,I did a search on reverse banana clip and at least found out what a "reverse banana" is. A little more info than I needed, I must admit.  rolleyes

shocked I had no idea it had that particular meaning. More info than I wanted to know, too.
Andy

auschip

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 05:37:20 PM »
So, I grabbed my handy dandy AR, and tried to insert a mag backwords.  No dice, there is a groove that runs along the back of the magazine that doesn't allow it to be inserted.  On the other hand, I was able to somewhat recreate the picture (I didn't want to tape my mags together though).

If she was using a magazine coupler like this

It would work (or tape, but the picture isn't clear enough).

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 05:45:04 PM »
Some mag couplers only grip the shorter sides of the mag, not the longer side that is presented to the camera.

So... could be.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 07:01:44 PM »
Some mag couplers only grip the shorter sides of the mag, not the longer side that is presented to the camera.

So... could be.

Someone commented early in the thread that the picture seemed odd.  It appears that Lady-Blue has the rifle pulled into her left shoulder, which suggests she is a southpaw.  I think the mag would show as a thicker doubled image if the rifle were pulled into the right shoulder giving a better view of the back of the mags. 

I think there are two magazines clamped in opposition; the clamps wouldnt show in the lo-resolution picture in the paper.  I opened it in photo shop and it has an odd blocky look, which just indicates the detail just isnt available to get a good look.
Mike

}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 08:27:56 PM »
It appears that Lady-Blue has the rifle pulled into her left shoulder,
No.  No it doesn't.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 08:32:18 PM »
I thought she looked like a lefty at first, but looking again I see she has it to her right shoulder.

Fuzzy pic, weird angle.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2006, 01:36:58 AM »
She's the only one in the street professional enough to carry the Colt five five six.   police

There are plastic AR15 mags out there.  Maybe this is one & it can be jammed into the mag well bass-ackwards.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 02:27:08 AM »
I haven't called yet but I went down and got my 40 round mags and played with the whole thing for a while. Hmmm, maybe that's not the best wording...  rolleyes

Anyhoo, my guess is she's got a shorter mag in the well (maybe a 20,) with a longer (looks like a 40 rounder to me) taped backwards to it. This way she can get at least one 40 in the mix without having the butt of the other mag sticking out in front which we'd see if there were 2 40s taped together at that length. I'm pretty sure I see electrical tape wrapped around them.

Of course, the more I look at now it the more I don't know. If that's a 40 she has it sure does look like its inserted into the mag.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2006, 03:12:35 AM »
Of course now that I read the thread again I see two people have mentioned the shorter mag scenario already. So in that case I'd agree. It could be a 30 and not a 40 too. I just tried again at Marble Falls and they told me to call back in an hour. I can't hang around that long. Anybody else want to give it a try? I'm on EST and they are one hour behind me. What's that, CST? If it is call at or after 8:00 CST.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 04:40:44 AM »
Looking at the photo very carefully (I'm at work and can't play with the photo to try to bring out details) it appears that there is a line on the magazines that would imply that there are indeed two magazines, clamped/taped together.  We are seeing the nearer of the two magazines, the one that is not loaded into the weapon.  Depending on the capacity of the magazine actually in the weapon and how far down on that magazine the clamp is, it is entirely possible that the nearer of the two magazines (the one we're seeing) is obscuring the forward curve (if there is any) of the inserted magazine....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2006, 07:03:29 AM »
I've looked and looked again.  Can't see that.  Anyone got a way of getting a clearer image?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2006, 07:20:35 AM »

Anyone who claims it can not be done, has not met my wife.

grin
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2006, 07:30:49 AM »
AFAICT, there's no clip and no tape. And there's definitely no way it's two 3-round mags together.

The only thing that makes sense is that it's a short one clipped to a long one. But why the hell would she do that, and why clip the long one that way, which makes it awkward to reload?
D. R. ZINN

280plus

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2006, 08:30:56 AM »
Folks, I just talked to the watch captain down there and by God yes she has the mag in backwards! Please do not even begin to ask me how. He wouldn't discuss it either. I said, "Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, she must have been under some pressure right then." And he said, "Yes she was."  He didn't want to go any further and I made it clear neither did I. Now THAT'S about an adrenaline rush right there. 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2006, 08:34:28 AM »
Thanks 280 for your splendid detective work.

Now THAT'S about an adrenaline rush right there.

No kidding!  shocked
Andy

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2006, 08:43:41 AM »
This reminds me of that pistol ad where the ammo was loaded backwards into the clip.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2006, 08:46:11 AM »
This reminds me of that pistol ad where the ammo was loaded backwards into the clip magazine Tongue Wink Grin.

I've got that for you too.  grin

Andy

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2006, 09:12:42 AM »
someone needs a 3 gun class

train as yea fight
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »
Doh, I stand corrected.