Author Topic: El Tejon and other Hoosiers how do you live with this?  (Read 1923 times)

Warren

El Tejon and other Hoosiers how do you live with this?
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:35:53 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-04-25-indiana-time_x.htm

I like the idea that people in Santa Claus keep their own personal time zones but it has to get aggravating. Do fast time companies hire slow time workers?  Do people wear multiple watches?

When lawyering what time is used on the legal documents?

Could this cause problems in investigations? Say there is an assualt and  the criminal (who confessed) is a using central time, the victim is using standard and the cops eastern what time would be used for the report?

My head swims. No, actually it is drowning.

Luku

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:31:24 PM »
I have just gotten used to the time situation in Indiana, since i have lived here all my life.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 03:09:41 PM »
Well, I live in central Indiana and keeping track of time isn't nearly so tough as that article makes it out to be.  I've lived elsewhere and had to change my time and it wasn't any easier then.  That article simply describes the counties which have decided to partially synch their times with other states to make things "easier".  Obviously - as you can read in the article - it's working gloriously.

In my job, I deal with people around the country on a daily basis.  Handling time has never, ever been a huge issue for me.  I simply deal with people based on their time zone.  If someone calls me from California to schedule a meeting, I schedule it based on California time.  It seems I was born with the amazing super-power that lets me add and subtract a few hours here and there and remember "Oh yeah, the time changed." twice a year without collapsing and frothing at the mouth.  It's a bird, it's a plane.

But not even I am perfect.  Sometimes I forget which time zone someone is in, or whether or not they change.  When in doubt I just go to http://www.time.gov/ and click on the location in question.  Presto, chango.  Honestly, I'd probably use it just as much or as little if we were on Daylight Saving Time.

I hear a lot of rhetoric on this issue, but don't see the big deal either way, really.  If I have to remember to adjust all my bloody clocks, I'll remember to adjust all my bloody clocks.  If I have to remember to adjust for everyone else, I'll adjust for everyone else.  I tend to lean against it, because I always hated having to get used to getting up an hour earlier once a year.

My question for you folks who observe daylight saving time, do you ever have something you want to do early in the morning on the first Sunday of April or the last Sunday of October?  If you wanted to watch a show that comes on at 2:00am on April 3rd, 2005, what time did you turn on the TV?  If you live in Dallas Texas and have to call Seoul at 3:30pm on October 30th, 2005 their time to discuss an urgent contract, are you going to call them at 1:30am or 1:30am?  Are you sure?

Or are you boring people all already in bed then?  (Shame on you, you should be switching your clocks!)

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 09:08:08 PM »
DST is a joke in the first place. I work at night and it is amusing to work 9 hours one shift then work 7 six months later. Then i get to watch the norms on dayshift walk in an hour late/early twice a year. It seems like it is such a terrible hardship on them too, poor little dears. I dont even bother changing my clocks, ill just have to change them again in six months.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 05:15:48 AM »
Actually, Indiana has three time zones.  The six counties near Chicago and 5 near Evansville change with Central time, some (like 5) near Louisville and Cincinnati are Eastern and change with those cities - the rest of the state doesn't switch to DST, they are Easten Standard Time all year round.  Which is really quite simple and easy.  

The part that gets confusing is that some places in those 16 counties that are in other time zones will occasionally use both - usually folks who "keep their own personal time zones" are either farmers who would prefer not to go to DST or commuters to the big cities in other states.  I lived in a county that didn't change and most of the state likes it that way.  

Now that I live in Texas, I just find the whole daylight savings-time changing thing weird.  I have been early/late to work on a couple occasions because of it.  I have to figure out how to change a dozen kinds of digital clocks twice a year too.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 08:53:27 AM »
here, oh, a sore spot!  Hopefully the General Assembly will pass DST this year and we can go back to DST Eastern!  The morons in the statehouse do not understand how beneficial this will be--obviously alums of government schools.

cordex, alright, yuck it up, but it hurts bidness here.  Of course, I am a shamelss shill for economic development, something most in the General Assembly is against.

Multiple watches?  No.
Impact on lawyering?  I practice in multiple counties, 33 to date, have to know who changes and who does not.
Impact on criminal investigations?  Sure does.  In fact the time zone variance in the state is an issue in the fact pattern in an alleged murder case where the defendant is a state cop.

Can hardly wait for Indiana to join rest of nation, although I would really like 2 hours extra in the summer!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 08:54:31 AM »
Oh, wait, forgot a time-honored, get it?, Indiana joke:  what time is it in Indiana?  The answer:  1957.

Re-read the article where it said "Hoosiers are stubborn."  That is the understatement of the year!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

...has left the building.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 04:00:03 PM »
So how about I worked a job recently where I worked in one time zone and had a 1.5 hour commute to another time zone that my home was in. Oh yeah, and I worked an average of 55-60 hours per week. So leaving the office at 9PM meant I got home just in time to go to bed. Glad I learned the rat race was BS when I was only 23.

kudu

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 02:34:19 AM »
I don't like DST myself.  I work construction jobs and used to farm, messing with the time change really stinks.  The independent counties should not be allowed to change to suit themselves.  As far as helping business, I can't see the argument that going with DST helps, if it never changes, what's to get confused about.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 05:20:52 AM »
HOORAY, it passed!!!  One step closer to ending the notion that we are someone else's hobby farm!  No thanks to whining and moronic foot-dragging by those toothless, barefoot, pot-bellied hicks in the General Assembly.  

Sometimes, kudu, a business--trucking, warehousing, manufacturing, biochem research, just may do business with someone outside the state.  Those outside the state change, we should as well.