Author Topic: Small Welding Machines?  (Read 4133 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Small Welding Machines?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
Also, regarding combo...it's really not necessary.  Once I learned to TIG, I really don't need/want to MIG...im not doing anything big, I really love the TIG controllability, and the slightly different setup/time from "need to weld" to "bead done" isn't that big of an impact for me.  That and if -really- see the need for a MIG, a small quasi-portable cheaper one would be it...so I'd rather get the TIG first, as also, I need more practice there.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »
I was looking at the HTP actually...it's gotten some pretty good reviews of the "as Lin as you aren't doing heavy production, and could tolerate a down week if it breaks as part availability isn't local/instant like blue/red, it's actually a good choice.

Since that fits my needs to a T...im basically looking for someone with experience to say "yeah, go for it"...basically, I need an "adultier adult" (re: welding experience) to okay it  =)

I would have no problem buying an HTP. I've looked at one extensively and was almost ready to pull the trigger on one before I went crazy and brought my Ranger 305 (which I can tig at 300 amps if I so want to with)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »
I have been reading welding web for a few years. There has been only praise for the HTP welders, and also for the apparently superlative support from the company.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »
I have been reading welding web for a few years. There has been only praise for the HTP welders, and also for the apparently superlative support from the company.

Yep. If you're gonna buy an import welder, they are the choice (and their welders are not Chinese *expletive deleted*it), they are European

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »
Possibly stupid follow up question:

Let's say I went ahead and put in a 220 outlet in the work area. Would the Hobart wire feed still be the recommended machine (in my price range), or would we start talking about machines like this Lincoln?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-AC225S-Arc-Welder-K1170/100041326

Maybe the Hobart with the MIG option is more versatile? The stick arc like this Lincoln does is the only welding I ever learned, so don't know if the Hobart opens up more possibilities, even though it won't do thicker stuff like the Lincoln will?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 10:17:40 PM »
You could get a 220v class Mig (much higher amps and can handle thicker stuff) with your 220v outlet or you can run a real stick welder like the Lincoln tombstone you have in your link. You could get something like the Hobart Handler 190 but it'd be more money but you'll be able to handle thicker stuff. Welding supply stores often get local school machines or local shop machines on trade in too and go through them and sell them at a reasonable cost so you may want to ask at your local welding supply store and see what they have available.

It really sounds, however, that you are wanting to weld thinner stuff (light gauge angle, etc) and stick is a good bit harder to do well with that than other processes like mig and tig or even O/A (the smallest commonly available stick rod is 3/32, and while smaller stuff is available it tends to be commonly sold in tiny blister packs at high prices)

That welder is also an AC only buzzbox, not DC capable (AC has to use different rods than DC, like AC can't run 6010 or 7018, it has to have 6011 or 7018AC, which has stabilizers in the flux to deal with the AC's arc characteristics). Probably fine for your case (i.e., 6011, 7018AC are the rods sold at Home Depot/Lowes/Tractor Supply so the supply isn't an issue) and plenty of stuff has been built with AC tombstones just like that one.

You can also get one much cheaper on craigslist, like for around a hundred bucks in good shape.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
Thanks for that. Yeah, I think most of what I'd be looking at is under 1/4", probably well under 1/8" though I haven't measured. Fixing (or making) small box scraper blades as an example, so it sounds like sticking with that Hobart might still be the way to go, for now anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
Yep. If you're gonna buy an import welder, they are the choice (and their welders are not Chinese *expletive deleted*it), they are European

Sweet!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »
Thread Necro.

Due to expenses that came up and various other reasons, I had put off buying a welding machine at the time of this thread.

I just broke my box scraper yesterday though, so am figuring this might be a good time to look back into this. For the uses I had previously outlined (stuff like fixing this blade) and generally well under 1/4" steel, is the Hobart 140 still the machine to beat, or has something better come along for light duty stuff?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
Well, I picked up the Handler 140 on sale at Tractor Supply. Nice little machine and pretty easy set up.

I practiced a bit with it yesterday (after not having run a bead for 35 years). I have a 115/30amp outlet for it, so no power issues. I still need to work on speed and proper settings (even after using the handy chart printed on the machine) to run a decent bead. Also, I'm cracking myself up because muscle memory from 35 years ago is involuntarily kicking in and I keep starting a run by trying to strike a non-existent stick onto the surface (back then I learned arc and OA welding, never did MIG or TIG).  :laugh:

Doing that has already plugged my nozzle once and given me my first bird's nest, which was fun (not). I'm digging up some more scrap metal to clean up and practice on over the next couple of days. Once I get my beads on a flat surface down (I'm using the cursive "u" and "e" methods (hey - a reason to know cursive!)) I'm going to practice some fillets and multiple passes, then I'll hit the scraper blade as my first real project. At this point I'm just using the 0.30 flux core wire. Right now I don't care about clean welds as much as I care about durable welds, and am just doing mild steel, but if I find enough stuff to do, I might get a 20cu ft bottle to use with the regulators that were included with the machine.

Also, because after I dug up my old welding helmet circa 1979 and it was about falling apart, I sprang for an auto-darkening helmet.  I was gonna get the metal Man from Tractor Supply, but then spent and extra $20 and got the Kobalt from Lowes based on reviews and its use of 3M technology. Figured my eyes were worth it. :)  Anyway, man what a difference in ease of use!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »
Very nice.  I think you'll be happy with the machine.

One word of wisdom, if you get a gas cylinder eventually, get a bigger one then 20cf.  The cost of gas is much cheaper with larger cylinders, and you'll be happy to have the additional run time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Very nice.  I think you'll be happy with the machine.

One word of wisdom, if you get a gas cylinder eventually, get a bigger one then 20cf.  The cost of gas is much cheaper with larger cylinders, and you'll be happy to have the additional run time.

Good point. Thanks, and thanks for the original recommendation!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
Once you try it with gas shielding, you'll never do flux core again. Congrats on the purchase.
and auto dark helmets are one of the best things you'll ever spend money on. I have 2 of the 3m Speedglass hoods. I added a 1.5 cheater lens to my main one and the other is a spare that my granddaughter uses when we have welding fun.
I have found that I can weld anything with my 220 Miller AC/DC stick machine and a 110 Lincoln mig
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »

I have found that I can weld anything with my 220 Miller AC/DC stick machine and a 110 Lincoln mig

Of course I'm back into it and excited now, but I was already thinking about getting the AC/DC box and running a 220 outlet to my work area at some point, just for handling some thicker material. Or else a cheap used welder/generator if I ran into one around here.

I just need to step back and give it time to make sure I would actually have enough projects (versus welding everything in sight just to weld) to make the money decision. :)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
Once you try it with gas shielding, you'll never do flux core again. Congrats on the purchase.

You should have both.  I have a 220V Lincoln MIG that does like 80% of my welding.  It's a great machine.  But I have found there's a place in my life for a 110V machine loaded with flux core.  No bottles to move or set up.  I can (and have) just walked it out to the truck, climbed under and fixed exhaust hangers in the driveway.  5 min job.  Maybe 5%* of my welding jobs a little 110V Flux-core is perfect for.

*The other 15% need the TIG.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
You should have both.  I have a 220V Lincoln MIG that does like 80% of my welding.  It's a great machine.  But I have found there's a place in my life for a 110V machine loaded with flux core.  No bottles to move or set up.  I can (and have) just walked it out to the truck, climbed under and fixed exhaust hangers in the driveway.  5 min job.  Maybe 5%* of my welding jobs a little 110V Flux-core is perfect for.

*The other 15% need the TIG.

I use my Hobart 135 with flux core hooked up to my 3kw generator way more than I figured I would. Practically no limits on location.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:20 AM »
Flux core wire gets a bad rap- but a lot of big commercial work has been done with it. And it will work in the wind.