Author Topic: $15/hr "living wage" - paramedics vs. fast food workers  (Read 15277 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
$15/hr "living wage" - paramedics vs. fast food workers
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:36:24 AM »
http://twitchy.com/2016/01/27/watch-this-fast-food-worker-explain-why-she-deserves-to-be-paid-more-than-paramedics/

One profession saves lives, the other serves food.

Not to bash those that work in the fast food industry, but if anyone deserves a pay increase – it’s the person who is trying to save your life.

But try telling that to Lakecha Jackson, a Detroit fast food worker who believes fast food workers are more important than paramedics.

Check out her response 2:42 minutes into the clip:

If this were a fair and just world Home Depot and Lowes would be experiencing a massive rush on 2x4s.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: $15/hr "living wage" - paramedics vs. fast food workers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:41:58 AM »
Oh ... my ... goodness.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
Guess we should start seeing more kiosks in fast food restaurant lobbies.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
Okay, you are a fast food worker and you now make $15 per hour.  How much would you bet that the owner can now replace you with a better employee who wouldn't have applied at min wage.  

Fast food workers can generally be replaced by anyone who will show up reliably and be trained in a day or less.  I really don't think that is the case for paramedics.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
Paramedics are licensed at the national level and most if not all will have at least an associates degree. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »
Okay, you are a fast food worker and you now make $15 per hour.  How much would you bet that the owner can now replace you with a better employee who wouldn't have applied at min wage.

Heck, for $15/hr I'd spend my evenings flipping burgers part time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »
Paramedics are licensed at the national level and most if not all will have at least an associates degree. 

Paramedic privilege. Fast food workers should also be given licenses and associates degrees, so they can earn $15 an hour.

Heck, for $15/hr I'd spend my evenings flipping burgers part time.

I applied to a couple of fast food places last year, to spend my evenings at minimum wage. They never called me. I presume they have no shortage of people with all-day availability, rather that someone with a day job. Or my lack of Sunday availability doesn't work for them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 10:41:19 AM »
Raise your hands any of you who would willingly eat at a fast food joint where Fistful is touching your food?

[barf]
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
I promise to only touch your food in a special, loving way.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:36:29 PM by fistful »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »
Just don't ask for the special sauce.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
If they paid fast-food workers more than paramedics, then all the paramedics would quit & become fast-food workers.....and the ambulance services would have to hire former fast-food workers to cover.

Think about it.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »
If they paid fast-food workers more than paramedics, then all the paramedics would quit & become fast-food workers.....and the ambulance services would have to hire former fast-food workers to cover.

Think about it.....
Either way, my policy is to never be rude to fast food workers or paramedics.  I figure that is the safe path.   =D

My brother finished his degree working as a waiter.  He is extremely polite to wait staff and food workers.  He knows what is possible. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »
Never rude to wait staff or others in the service industry.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »
Honestly I didn't realize that paramedic wages were that low.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »
DING IVs ARE DONE!

DING IVs ARE DONE!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
Honestly I didn't realize that paramedic wages were that low.

Most people conflate EMTs and paramedics. I was an EMT first before becoming a paramedic.  EMTs are very low paid.  If you can get on as a paramedic in a large city fire department, you can make in the upper five figures easy or break $ 100,000 based on seniority, shift differential and overtime.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
Either way, my policy is to never be rude to fast food workers or paramedics.  I figure that is the safe path.   =D

My brother finished his degree working as a waiter.  He is extremely polite to wait staff and food workers.  He knows what is possible. 

This is not only possible, but I've eaten at that very restaurant many times :http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/steak-la-pube
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 03:14:25 PM »
This is not only possible, but I've eaten at that very restaurant many times :http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/steak-la-pube

It was a Chili's and it was in the early 90's at the latest.  He never mentioned anything really bad.  A strategic cough here and there for really obnoxious people at worst.  He spent more time talking about demanding people who don't tip.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »
I was going to rant. The rant would have pretty much consisted of *expletive deleted* over and over and over, maybe with some non expletive words kind of randomly shoved into the mix.

I am very polite to service people, because... well, because my parents raised me right and people should be polite to everyone.

However, if one of these fast food workers starts telling me that they are worth $15 an hour because they work so much harder than other people who work for less than $15 an hour, I'm going to lock them in a kennel run with the Kuvasz that tends to maul people she doesn't like.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »
However, if one of these fast food workers starts telling me that they are worth $15 an hour because they work so much harder than other people who work for less than $15 an hour, I'm going to lock them in a kennel run with the Kuvasz that tends to maul people she doesn't like.

Be sure to post the video on Youtube ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »
I was going to rant. The rant would have pretty much consisted of *expletive deleted* over and over and over, maybe with some non expletive words kind of randomly shoved into the mix.

I am very polite to service people, because... well, because my parents raised me right and people should be polite to everyone.

Send them out with a detasseling crew.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »
Send them out with a detasseling crew.

There's a reason file clerks tended to be paid less than fast food workers, much less detasselers.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »

She'll like them. They smell like grease.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »

She'll like them. They smell like grease.

"Zorsha, would you like fries with that?"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »
Well said.  =)