Author Topic: Minnesota Gun Activism 2016  (Read 7024 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Minnesota Gun Activism 2016
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »
This year's MNGOLD Minnesota Gun Owners Lobby Day is this Thursday the 10th.

Looks like no pro or anti gun bills will pass this year.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Re: Minnesota Gun Activism 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:42:17 PM »
As a MN resident I seriously appreciate the updates you post here.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:31:49 AM »
Ah, the day the gun nuts get together and the streets are awash in the blood of the innocent.*

Excellent.

*Because don't you know, according to the common sense groups, only innocents die from gun violence.

We're bad, bad people.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 12:32:43 AM »
A Tale Of Two Rallies by Mitch Burg at www.shotinthedark.info Our turnout was a bit over 170, the opposition had 26 at their rally, many of them paid by our government or by Bloomberg to be there, legislators, police chiefs, paid lobbyists and so on.

I took that picture with my drone. Oleg Volk was there and gave a great speech, as did many legislators.

Gabby Giffords setup a MN state affiliate this year "Minnesota Coalition for Common Sense". They hired two conservative lobbyists that do have some credibility. The main anti gun group is "Protect Minnesota" which recently lost its funding from the Joyce Foundation. They even fired the leader, Heather Martens. I doubt they can replace her, she only made 50K a year doing a job that normally would bring in six figures. She is a real piece of work, she has been at it about twenty years and has never had a bill passed, or had any partial success at getting anything moving. Heather Martens has never, not once in her career, said a single, original, substantive true thing about gun owners, gun crime, or the Second Amendment. She has zero credibility and continually embarrasses herself in front of committees with the constant corrections people make and the fact that she struggles to even keep up with gun topics or to even understand "her" own bills. She constantly flaunts breaking the rules in committees which she never gets called on because of her connections, and because the Joyce Foundation literally owns a percentage of several MN media sources she is able to get any story planted or completely rewritten that she wants. http://www.startribune.com/state-gun-buying-soars-second-largest-increase-ever/367675861/ for an example. She blew off the Strib at first, and then had that story rewritten to make it sound like it was GOCRA and not the state's own statistics that show the number of people who have permits. They rewrote much of it twice, and added her comments to the end. In person she is incredibly mean and rarely tries to pretend to be anything other than a complete ass. Between her personality and pathological lying she is unable to keep any supporters and constantly is churning through around a dozen people she can get to show up, mainly other lefty groups that get roped into helping her.

No anti gun bills will even get a hearing in the House public safety committee. They will be heard in the Senate committee, but likely not voted on the Senate floor, not that any of them could pass even in the mildly pro gun DFL (Democrat Farm labor) controlled Senate. Both parties agreed not to push any pro gun bills this year due to the large success of last year. I am not too happy about that, but we don't have the political pull or time (only a ten week session this year) to get them through the Senate.

I haven't really blogged much about people and non official stuff, I will try and add some of that this year. Late last year we had five Black Lives Matter protesters shot by a permit holder who was in a group counter protesting BLM. The BLM types tried to violently run them off and chased them a few blocks before one of the counter protesters opened fire. We have had several defensive gun uses in the news, and at least one questionable use by someone who testified in favor of gun rights, he seems to be innocent though.

I will try to mention the social get togethers and the like too.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »

Oleg's Speech

Since the speech had to be truncated for time, here's its full text:
Thank you for coming here today!
Coming to America from the USSR in 1989, I knew of the culture of freedom through books – had to learn it for myself in the more complex reality. My interest in the Second Amendment developed right between the 1989 Import ban and the 1994 so-called Assault Weapons ban, causing me to worry that I came too late to save America from its own politicians. Fortunately, as today's gathering illustrates, I was in good company and we have made much progress since.
To uphold a right, we must understand it. The purpose of individual gun ownership is Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness.
Life – firearms are, first and foremost, weapons for self-defense from predators, animal or human. I cannot be a bodyguard to every one of my friends simultaneously, nor would I want to impose myself on them even for their benefit. But I can provide or facilitate training and tools for them to protect themselves, a gift of independence – and trust.
Helping another person become self-sufficient in personal security is a very sincere way to illustrate respect for their judgment, faith in their peaceful intentions and to pledge perpetual non-aggression. No person harboring ill intentions would provide defensive skills or tools to the prospective victim, right?
Liberty – an armed and trained populace is a necessary precondition for a meaningful political process.
When the people at large are disarmed, their voices may be safely ignored. It's not that a government agency can't kill a few armed dissenters, but that the resources to do so are disproportionately greater. It's no surprise that people who escaped Communist or Nazi dictatorships are usually strong supporters of the right to keep and bear arms. One armed individual is no match for a hostile organization, same as a lone peaceable porcupine is no match for a cougar or a pack of wolves. But most predators avoid porcupines in favor of less dangerous prey. Should deterrence fail, defensive arms work much like air bags in cars – an emergency measure that may save lives if a crash happens despite our best efforts for avoidance.
Our ideals of personal liberty and self-determination are attractive to reasonable people. So we gain by educating others, by popularizing the ideas and by converting the fence-sitters and foes alike. Our guns give us a chance to do so unmolested. Absent an armed population, we would see far more abuse by local politicians and enforcement organizations, and greater restrictions on freedom of speech. We do see comparatively high levels of such abuse precisely in the states where personal weapons are restricted, such as New Jersey and New York.
Happiness – we gain it through recreational use, the same way we enjoy playing music or practicing crafts. We might collect guns to understand history better, or for their mechanical variety.
But the greatest source of happiness is being in greater control of your own destiny. Depression is closely tied to learned helplessness. Happiness is closely tied to independence. Guns make us happier by giving us greater control over our own fate. It's no surprise that entirely gun-less Japan leads the industrialized world in suicides.
Researchers wonder why people are less nervous about driving than about flying, despite the lower number of fatalities per mile traveled. I don't wonder at all: drivers are much more in control of their own destinies than airline passengers are, so they feel more confident. Taking charge of personal defense and circumspect behavior improve the chances of being able to meet future challenges, same as taking additional driving courses and being circumspect would make us safer travelers. Conversely, outsourcing our personal safety to others would get us TSA-like results: no safety and no dignity, either. Not a happy outcome.
Growing up in the USSR, I was entirely behind the curve relative to the state. My parents brought me, at great personal risk, to America where I got a second chance. I try to use it well. I don't want to fight authoritarians as infantry, rather I'd like to deter them from fighting us, while we use the time and the opportunity to win hearts and minds of our fellow human beings in America and worldwide. Just as certain quaint notions like racism are no longer welcome in polite company, we can strive towards the world in which disarming innocent people is views with as much disfavor. We will do it peacefully, by personal example, through education, and our arms would be just the insurance of last resort against our foes trying to shut us up by force.

- Lon Horiuchi

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
Oleg's Speech

Since the speech had to be truncated for time, here's its full text:
Thank you for coming here today!

Musing -- I wonder if ISRA/Illinoiscarry has given thought to getting Oleg in for IGOLD some year.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »
That is a pretty good speech.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 02:30:36 AM »
Oleg is also very good at public speaking. I had never heard his voice before that day. I was expecting a happy sober Russian intellectual type accent, like the way Yuri Gagarin is often portrayed, but he sounded very American.

Oleg was already in town for an unrelated reason, so he just showed up to our event.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »
The Gun Owners Caucus just sent out an email about the DNR's plan to ban lead ammunition. Looks like we might actually get a pro-gun bill passed this year after all.

WHAT:        Mining & Outdoor Recreation Committee Meeting

WHERE:      Minnesota State Office Building, Room 10

WHEN:       Wednesday, March 16th, at 2:45pm

A few months ago, the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, along with our friends at the National Rifle Association (NRA), led the charge in getting gun owners and sportsmen to contact the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to put a stop to their agenda to ban lead ammunition in Minnesota.

Despite receiving feedback from thousands of individuals who actively use public land for hunting and the shooting sports, the DNR has been using pseudo-scientific claims and anecdotes to force through their lead-ban agenda.

Last week, as I attended the public forum held by DNR, it became clear to me that they are dead set on forcing their agenda through in the coming weeks.

In response, I've been working with Representative Tom Hackbarth, other pro-hunting allies in the state legislature, and other like-minded organizations, to stop the DNR's bureaucratic attempt to add costly hurdles to hunting and the shooting sports with no measurable impact on the environment.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, March 16th, Representative Hackbarth will introduce a bill in the Minnesota House that will stop this agenda dead in its tracks by prohibiting the DNR from implementing any rule that bans the use of lead shot in Minnesota.

We need a large presence of gun owners and hunters at this meeting to show our support for the bill.

Check in with a Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus volunteer at the entrance to the committee room to receive a sticker or button to wear showing your support for Rep. Hackbarth's bill.

WHAT:        Mining & Outdoor Recreation Committee Meeting

WHERE:      Minnesota State Office Building, Room 10

WHEN:        Wednesday, March 16th, at 2:45pm

WHAT TO WEAR:   If you plan to testify, please dress appropriately in professional or business casual attire.

If you can make it, it's important that you plan to come to the capitol for this hearing. Plan to arrive early (between 2:15 and 2:30pm) to show your support for keeping hunting and the shooting sports within reach of all Minnesotans - and to put a stop to the DNR's rulemaking process.

I can't make it but still want to support this effort
Contact the committee members: first via phone, then follow-up with a brief email. Ask them to support Rep. Hackbarth's bill putting a stop to the DNR's ban on lead ammunition. You can access the committee roster with phone numbers and email addresses here.

If you haven't already done so, please consider joining the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus. It's the support from our members that allows us to continue our work to monitor what's happening at the Capitol - and work to advance pro-Second Amendment legislation with our allies in the legislature.

If you've already joined the Caucus, thanks!  Please consider an additional donation to help us continue to advance our efforts in Saint Paul.

I'll keep you updated as this, and other legislation, advances in Saint Paul.

Sincerely,
signature-rob.png
Rob Doar
Political Director

------------------------------------- edit to add:  -------------------------------------

The NRA largely copied the Caucuses email from Rob Doar:

I guess the NRA liked my email this morning on the led ban hearing tomorrow.
Caucus:
A few months ago, the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, along with our friends at the National Rifle Association (NRA), led the charge in getting gun owners and sportsmen to contact the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to put a stop to their agenda to ban lead ammunition in Minnesota.
NRA:
Late last year, your NRA led the charge in getting gun owners and sportsmen across The North Star State to contact the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) to put a stop to their agenda to ban lead ammunition in Minnesota.
Caucus:
Despite receiving feedback from thousands of individuals who actively use public land for hunting and the shooting sports, the DNR has been using pseudo-scientific claims and anecdotes to force through their lead-ban agenda.
NRA:
Despite receiving feedback from thousands of Minnesotans who actively use public land for hunting, it has become clear that the MDNR is determined to impose this ban despite a lack of scientific justification and the undue burden the regulations would place on Minnesota’s sportsmen and women. The MDNR is determined to force their misguided agenda through in the coming weeks.
Caucus:
In response, I've been working with Representative Tom Hackbarth, other pro-hunting allies in the state legislature, and other like-minded organizations, to stop the DNR's bureaucratic attempt to add costly hurdles to hunting and the shooting sports with no measurable impact on the environment.
NRA:
In response, tomorrow, Wednesday, March 16, state Representative Tom Hackbarth will introduce a bill in the Minnesota House of Representatives with Revisor # 16-6715 that will stop this agenda by prohibiting the MDNR from implementing any rule that bans the use of lead shot in Minnesota.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:02:36 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »
At the DNR hearing. Live blogging. Hoping to pass a law preventing the DNR from banning lead ammo.

2:54 called to order

3:00 pheasant tax bill, passed by voice vote.

3:01 Lead shot ban is up

Opening statements about the issue and the bill: Can't even have lead on you when hunting, steel damages guns, heavy shot costs more.

legacy issue of lead deposits over the decades

statistics about lead deposits concerning waterfowl

brief facts, lead is toxic

average hunter spends $1500 a year, this is pennies in their pockets.

no difference in harvest efficiency between lead and steel

3:07 questions from reps, one rep not happy about mining bans

3:09 lead rifle rounds, no alternative for 22LR

3:10 Barb Yarusso DFL saying lead is a hazard as long as it sits there, citing lead MSDS

Derp about nitrates and acid in water breaking down the lead and increasing exposure

3:12 All steel shot sold in the USA is made in China. Wants Mr Mire (SP) on the record, Bob Welsh also from the DNR talking, is now on record stating this is not about slugs, only fine shot.

DFL guy wants the lead ban replaced with better hunter education.

It seems that all of the reps except one are against the lead ban, not sure. (This later ends in passing 11-3)

17 citizens want to comment on this issue.

This issue only concerns WMA (wildlife management area) in the farm area only.

3:16 bringing up issues of cost of steel vs lead, citing Cabelas website as a source.

3:20 public is up.

Brad Stricklin, representing Marshall area chamber of commerce. "We are united to oppose the proposed lead ban on WMA land..." would hurt local economy. Statistics about hunters and the economy. Says this would be horrible for the local economy and cause everyone to go elsewhere and cause businesses to close.

Another person is up, against lead ammo, for the 2nd amendment, supports GOCRA. "Lead is toxic" his club is lead free. Company called Rio (sp) that makes steel shot in Texas. "You have the right to choose, but you do not have the right to pollute the environment."

3:26 Pro lead use guy up, represents a turkey club, 9000 members. Citing other science and statistics. Says stories of animals dying is anecdotal. Should focus on populations and not individual animals. Says a lot of lead in a small spot can cause trouble, but not an issue in WMA.

3:28 Lady is anti lead, says we need to get lead out of environment, we removed it from gas and toys. Should let DNR do its job. Lady said her members will email in mass supporting the lead ban.

3:29 Jessica Vaniberg (sp) for Minnesota SCI? Talking about anecdotes vs population statistics. Says some will be priced out of hunting.

She says anti hunting groups from out of state are pushing this. "Tip of the iceberg" to ban all affordable ammo.

3:32  Tim Sprick (sp) MN weapons collectors association. Every time unwarranted restrictions come up we need to step up. People build on the foundation of past bans.

3:33  Don, strongly in favor of DNR proceeding as ruled. Lead is deadly to many species. Thinks this is a good step, he didn't say a step to what.

3:35 Kim from a sporting goods shop, not present to testify

Kryston Hall (sp), from an org. Wants lead shot out of wetlands.

3:37 Pat Watson from GOCRA/Caucus not present :(  He was there, but because he worked in the industry it would be a conflict of interest. Which is too bad because he is an expert on this subject.

3:38 Two citizens are in favor of the ban. Says he now sees things differently than a few years ago. Going into costs, hunters only use two boxes a year. Doing math, citing statistics. 20,000 boxes of shells used. 140,000,000 pellets. Something raptor? Says we are poising birds, if it was dogs we would relate better.

3:41 The second of the two, the first guy's son, thinks lead will kill the birds and drop hunting rates and cause hunters to leave the state.

Nels Paulson (sp) representing conservation MN. "no safe level of lead, especially in children" don't want to harvest birds on public lands if they ingested lead shot from other hunters.

My laptop died with the battery at 6%, couldn't save this post in time and I missed some speakers.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:52:17 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
Kevin Vick up

Laptop died :( I lost a few speakers and some commentary about Kevin's testimony. He did a great job.

Kevin did a great job, requested roll call. From Kevin Vick himself. "For the record, I did not ask for a role call vote. That's not my prerogative. I said, "I would appreciate it if a member would ask for a roll call vote." Not the same thing although the Senator acted as if it was. You're right, being transparent and on the record was clearly not something she wasn't happy about."

I lost a few speakers in the laptop battery shutdown. A roll call will be called, has not happened yet.

Someone else up, talking about accuracy, bias, and relevance of various studies cited.

A rep asked a question, (I think it was Barb Yarusso) wants a specific example. He is explaining what he was talking about in generalities.

She is asking for a specific example, "this testimony for me does not hold water" ouch.

A DFL guy said Kevin's comment to for a roll call "rubs me the wrong way" he and a DFL lady (I think it was Barb Yarusso) didn't like that. They are calling Kevin and us, and Crucible Arms an outsider.

3:54  Andrew Rothman President of GOCRA is up. Talking about this being a chilling affect on the second amendment. "Death by a thousand cuts" we recommend its passage. Clapping, chair said to be quiet.

Republican rep has a question for Andrew Rothman, does not agree with this being a second amendment issue, hopes we don't score it. Rothman thinks it is second amendment issue.

Nancy? Is up, talking about lead toxicity after a bone strike. Smaller children are affected the most. We don't have a personal right to pollute. DNR should go ahead, legislature can fix afterwards if needed.

Another guy up, Obama and EPA shut down our only lead smelter.

Auto correct is getting to me. Eagles eat fish, we banned lead, lead doesn't break down. Lead pipes in Michigan

He is for the bill, kept talking past his time.

Someone from the gov is up, against the law protecting lead ammo.

DFL rep talking, flint Michigan, opposed to Bill, wants lots of lead bans.

Going to vote soon.

Another citizen up. Slippery slope. Communists left wing activists, or fascists I forgot, DFL rep objected. The crazy guy then mentioned what happened at a Trump rally. He was wearing an black infowars t-shirt with a picture of Hillary's face with Joker's makeup on and the "what difference at this point does it make" quote under it. He really didn't help the cause any.

Roll call.

11 aye 3 nay, we won. I will check and see what our odds are of advancing this bill in the Senate.

Screw you auto correct, I am going to turn that off.

• Hackbarth Aye
• Lueck Aye
• Anzelc Aye
• Consinde No
• Cornish Aye
• Ecklund Aye
• Hertaus Aye
• Johnson Aye
• Kiel Aye
• McNamara Aye
• Melin No
• Metsa Aye
• Yarusso No
• Lucero Aye
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:56:35 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

sbl23

• Packet_Pusher
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »
Thanks for keeping up with this Dustin.
NoloContendere: "What difference, at this point, does it make? Seriously. If we won’t take our own government to Court… due to fear of them doing something? Are we all really that afraid?"

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
Lead ban hearing: Wednesday, March 23th, 10:15 a.m.

From a GOCRA email:
As we told you about last week, the DNR is pushing a ban on using lead shot for hunting in over half the state. Last week, we testified in favor of State Representative Tom Hackbarth's HF3209, which would prevent the DNR from this unilateral regulation.

The bill passed the first committee with an 11-3, vote. The next hearing is Wednesday morning at 10:15.

If you can, please come to show your support:

HF3209 Hearing
Government Operations and Elections Policy Committee
Wednesday, March 23th, 10:15 a.m.
State Office Building, Basement Hearing Room
100 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
St. Paul, MN 55155
Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/kuV2dPX5htv

If you can make it, don't forget to wear your GOCRA shirt (or another maroon shirt)!

In other news a few Senators and Reps are trying to ban everything including due process with gun violence restraining orders and gun seizures without so much as a lawyer or the defendant present at a hearing. Other bills would figuratively ban all firearms, ammo, and magazines. The bills won't go anywhere, but I do appreciate their honesty in trying to just come out and take them all, and doing it in the open.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:20:18 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 08:06:02 PM »
Plymouth police chief was lobbying for gun control.

I attended the city council meeting.
There are over a dozen of us inside, we ended up with around twenty total after our issue was over and we went outside the chambers to talk among ourselves.

7:00 PM 3-22-2016 council called to order.

Citizen speaking on the issue, pro gun, great speaker. I think he is the head of one of the Tea Party groups, I could be mistaken.

He brought up the issue of the appropriateness of the police chief lobbying for gun control while officially representing the city.

Another pro gun citizen spoke, he also spoke very well. Both of them were very professional.

The lady chair person says she is for open government, will make the info available. She seemed nice. No anti gun speakers.

~7:10 PM We are discussing the issue outside of the council chambers by ourselves.

We are looking to get the city out of the issue, not trying to make them take a side on gun control.

I mentioned the second lead ban hearing tomorrow.

www.gocra.org/news/2016/03/tonight-tell-the-plymouth-city-council-to-drop-gun-control-from-its-agenda

Nick Roehl spoke at the hearing, and said on GOCRA's FaceBook page: "Thank you to all who came to stand while I spoke. The council has ordered a special meeting next Monday night March 28th, at 5:30 pm."

Quote from: Nick Roehl
We were successful in having the council address this issue. Thanks to those who showed up on such short notice. It was good to see so many new faces!.

Hope to see everyone again at the special meeting scheduled next Monday, March 28th at 5:30 pm.

Tell your friends, tell your neighbors!

Quote from: Nick Roehl
On March 22nd, a group of concerned individuals addressed the Plymouth City council about their chief of police lobbying at the state capitol for universal registration of firearms through universal background checks.

We informed the city council that their 2016 LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES had a poorly written line about background checks.

We informed the city that under recently amended city code, the "Chief" or in actuality the "Director of Public Safety", does not have authority to lobby or speak on behalf of the city regarding its legislative priorities.

We informed the city that it shouldn't be taking positions on such controversial issues as universal registration/ background checks.

We asked the city council to remove the line regarding background checks from its 2016 Legislative Priorities, and to ask the city manager to remind staff of the limits of their duties.

A special meeting was called by the city council to address these issues.

The meeting is scheduled for Monday March 28th, at 5:30 at City Hall, 3400 Plymouth Blvd, Plymouth MN 55447

These are the types of issues we elect State Senators and State Representatives for. NOT CITY COUNCILS! Lets keep the civil rights issues to the state level please!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:53:05 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 11:15:46 AM »
10:10 AM 3-23-2016 I am at the hearing, three GOCRA shirts, two dozen other people.

10:13 We have around ten people now.

10:17 Jim Nash spoke to us (hearing hasn't started), said Federal uses recycled batteries, large MN employer.

We have around 20 people now, we are the largest group. I have not noticed any anti gun groups present.

10:21 Room getting full, called to order, maybe 30 pro gun people.

10:24 Jessica Vanneberg (sp) chair made a note about jurisdiction. She is from Safari Club. Supports the bill. Says lead is toxic, but need to look at population level impact.

10:25 Guy up, opposes bill, thinks the rule making is DNR's jurisdiction not legislatures.

10:26 Andrew Rothman GOCRA President. Did a great job, says fix is in. Said DNR planned this in 2006 regardless of science, had documents to prove it.

10:28 Another guy up, opposes the bill. Kills wildlife, reproductive harm, several statistics cited. WMA has a high concentration of wetlands.

He was the last planned speaker. No one from the audience raised their hands to speak.

Room is somewhat standing room only now.

10:31 Rep Michael Nelson speaking, mentioned tongue in cheek plan to transfer rule making from DNR to NRA.

10:32 Testifier said this bill exists because of the DNR proposed rule making. He thinks DNR said they want the legislature to address the issue. "It is here now to preempt it" "wishes DNR had brought a bill, but they did it by rule because they lost in the past."

10:34 Rep Nelson speaking, talking about emails received. Asking for any science the testifier has.

"Thankly we are not a science committee" laughter.

We have no science, and neither does the DNR.

10:35 Lady rep speaking, asking who defines WMA, testifier response: Feds determine boundaries.

10:37 Another lady rep up, says they endorsed DNR rule making. Says her constituents support the DNR.

Another person said all but one hunting and fishing sportsman org supports the bill.

Bill passed out of committee. Its chances don't look good in the Senate committee, but it should pass the House.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:58:04 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 06:37:02 PM »
5:30 pm called to order.

Everyone in the room gave their name for the record. Several anti gun persons present, pro gun persons seem to outnumber them.

5:36 pm Gun control removed from agenda, no nay votes.

One question, clarification of the word support, none given told to refer to dictionary.

5:39 adjourned.

Channel 4 & 11 are here, plus a few journalists. I and .... We're on TV along with Bill Krause.

Edit to add: I am now a famous TV star and photo model. In the opening shot I am standing there in the grey jacket, and later you can see me in my maroon GOCRA shirt debating a complete nutjob.
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/03/28/plymouth-city-council-reverses-position-on-background-checks/

Several antigun persons from ProtectMN and not from the city stayed late to throw their poop at the city council for not sending a message about gun violence, they said they knew this wouldn't make a difference, but they still wanted the message.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:39:28 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »

COMMITTEE DEADLINE IS FRIDAY.
Friday represents an important deadline - for bills to be considered on the floor for the remainder of session, they must be passed out of the committee of origin by the end of the day on Friday, April 1st.
For firearms bills, this means the Public Safety Policy & Finance Committee in the House and the Judiciary Committee in the Senate.
Currently, no gun control bill is scheduled for a hearing prior to the committee deadline - but that can change on a moment's notice.
We're monitoring hearings carefully over the coming days and will publish an action alert immediately if someone looks to be headed to a hearing. Things could happen on very short notice.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
From a gun owners caucus email:

The committee deadline for bills to be heard and passed for this session might be over, but the threat certainly isn't.

As we warned last week, one of the things that gun control proponents could still do is call a hearing in the Senate, where they control the Judiciary Committee.

And that's exactly what they've done.

In fact, they're doing this on the same day as the "Lobby Day" for Michael Bloomberg's "Everytown" gun control group. They plan on having hundreds of anti-gun advocates on-hand for the hearing.

Can you join us next week?

Committee on the Judiciary
Room 1200 - Minnesota Senate Building
Tuesday, April 26th 8:30am

The hearing will be ticketed on a first-come, first-serve basis prior to 8:30am. You will want to arrive early in order to secure a spot.

The hearing will be informational only, meaning that there will not be a vote - and the bills will not proceed to the Senate floor. However, it's a great opportunity to put our opposition and facts front and center.

The following bills will be heard:

SF2493:  Universal background checks, aka universal gun owner registration
SF2980:  Gun Violence Protective Orders, aka "we'll hold a hearing without you present and take your right to keep and bear arms away"
Whether you can join us next week or not, can you take the following actions right away?
Call your State Senator:  Let them know that you're opposed to this sort of gun control. You can use the Who Represents Me link at the State Legislature to find your Senator's contact information.

E-Mail your State Senator:  After calling your State Senator, follow-up with a brief email reiterating your points.

Contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee:  Let them know that you're opposed to this sort of gun control. First, give each Senator a call, then follow-up with a brief email. Use this link to find their contact information.

If you're not already a member, join the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus: We need your help during challenges like this more than ever. Our annual membership is $40/yr and comes with a great set of benefits. Join us today!

If you've already joined, please consider a donation to the Caucus or to the Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee to help further our efforts.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 11:39:09 PM »

I can now charge my laptop, tablet, and smartphone from my smaller drone's batteries. I also finally bought a digital recorder, it would have came in handy so many times in the past that I am really kicking myself for not having it sooner.

I will try and be at the hearing tomorrow a bit before 7:00 AM, but I will see how that goes. It will be funny if the mock hearing (no votes will be taken as we are past the deadline) doesn't have any gun control supporters, but I suspect some other lefty groups will show up for Everytown to fill their ranks.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »
April 26th at the Senate building. Two dead bills are being debated for informational purposes only. The real reason seems to be to placate Everytown and to get our side on record as supporting a compromise background check bill.

Everytown is using the Lutheran church next door as their staging area, that church hosts a large number of left of center causes. They also held an anti gun meeting there around 12:00 PM after this event was over.

One thing to note is almost every talking (chanting?) point is the exact same for every anti gun speaker, and a direct copy from Everytown's playlist. They are extremely repetitive in this hearing.

Made it to the Capitol at 7:30 AM. Maybe two or three hundred people. The pro gun outnumber anti gun side by a bit. The anti gun side has never had this kind of turnout before.

The demographics of the Everytown group are strikingly different than ProtectMN. Mostly well dressed nicely groomed polite older and elderly people. Not that it matters to me either way, but this crowd is also far more Caucasian than ProtectMN's members tend to be. No one shouted us down, tried to provoke a response that needed security, no one did anything to require us to call security, no threats or even insults, no one made any extreme overly racist comments, or accused us of being racists or wife beaters. Night and day difference from what I am used to. Their lobbyists were also very polite and professional to me, unlike Heather Martens from ProtectMN who would go out of her way to flout breaking the rules and was rude for the sake of a power trip.

I moved the live blog portion to a new post so that I have some more time to make additions and add info before the 48 hour edit window closes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:47:23 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
We'll get about 5-7k people here for IGOLD (Illinois), a coupel of things we do that help bring in the numbers.

1)  Chartered buses from all over the state.  We have meetup points at various larger towns where you can ride a bus, for a nominal cost, to get you to IGOLD on time, without worrying about parking, directions and the like.  Show up at a mall, or someplace with a decent sized parking lot where a bunch of cares won't cause anyone any nevermind, and away we go.

2)  Gold (yellow) shirts/sweatshirts.  With the IGOLD logo.  Again for a nominal cost, pre-purchase or purchase at the event.  (IGOLD also rents the convention center to host the event, before we march on and take over the capital).  A sea of yellow is quite the sight in the capitol building and office buildings.  It really lets everyone know that we are there. 

All I have to offer, keep up the good work.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
We'll get about 5-7k people here for IGOLD (Illinois), a coupel of things we do that help bring in the numbers.

Looking around the Prairie Capitol Convention Center, my guess is we were around 1500 this year.  Peak was 2013 (I think) when they were actually having to wrangle out a carry bill.

The reps and senators pretty much all skip out, the day we're due.

1)  Chartered buses from all over the state.  We have meetup points at various larger towns where you can ride a bus, for a nominal cost, to get you to IGOLD on time, without worrying about parking, directions and the like.  Show up at a mall, or someplace with a decent sized parking lot where a bunch of cares won't cause anyone any nevermind, and away we go.

2)  Gold (yellow) shirts/sweatshirts.  With the IGOLD logo.  Again for a nominal cost, pre-purchase or purchase at the event.  (IGOLD also rents the convention center to host the event, before we march on and take over the capital).  A sea of yellow is quite the sight in the capitol building and office buildings.  It really lets everyone know that we are there. 

All I have to offer, keep up the good work.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 03:38:08 PM »
http://mnsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=1&clip_id=522 has the Senate audio and video.

I am so going to write up a proper scathing response to latz's "When did you start beating your wife" begging the question debate tactic. I can so nail him for being a lying ass on that one. He asks a question, gets a honest answer and then starts making fun of the person, after threatening to hold another person in contempt for the same thing.

Thank you Scout for the info, our side has Maroon shirts that most of us wear. Our MNGOLD rallies are not as big as yours, only about 230 people, but it is growing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:37:00 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 02:38:15 AM »
Mods please delete this post. I will fix it and add in the info hopefully on Saturday.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:15:52 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
Guns, The Issues - Forum   Hosted by the League of Women Voters - Bloomington, MN Starts at 6:30PM tonight. Two of my friends will be representing our side in a debate against an anti-gun police chief(I think) and an anti-gun activist.

As to the previous post, plenty of derp to report, but there were some issues. I will get something organized soon. I plan to research a lot into their plans for 2017. I hope our ability to put forth a good offense can force them to play defense.

Event Details
You are invited to a moderated, balanced discussion on gun issues and proposed legislation.
6:30 pm              Light Refreshments
7-8:45 pm           Program
PROGRAM
Introductions and Second Amendment overview
• Mary Rice, President, League of Women Voters Bloomington

• Michael Steenson, Professor of Law at Mitchell Hamline School of Law

• Gretchen Musicant, Minneapolis Health Commissioner; Forum moderator

PROPOSED STATE LAWS: Background checks for firearms transfers, gun violence restraining orders
• Sarah Cade, Team Leader, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus and Political Action Committee
• Paul Schnell, Maplewood Chief of Police; member of Minnesota Chief of Police Association

PROPOSED FEDERAL LAWS: Gun violence research by Center for Disease Control and Prevention, reinstatement of the assault weapons ban, no-fly list prohibitions
• Rev. Nancy Nord Bence, Executive Director, Protect Minnesota

• Bryan Strawser, Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus and Political Action Committee

TAKE PART: Submit questions anonymously to https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TWQH6NZ by Oct. 24th or in writing at forum
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:06:41 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi