Author Topic: Apple stole my music  (Read 2690 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Apple stole my music
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:25:47 PM »
https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

“The software is functioning as intended,” said Amber.
“Wait,” I asked, “so it’s supposed to delete my personal files from my internal hard drive without asking my permission?”
“Yes,” she replied.

More at the blog.

Another reason iTunes will NOT EVER come NEAR any of my computers or other devices.

Apple may lip strangle my penis neck and die screaming in a fire.

That is all.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Apple stole my music
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »
THIS is why my music lives on my SAN drive and I COPY to my local HD what I want iTunes to access!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »
https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

More at the blog.

Another reason iTunes will NOT EVER come NEAR any of my computers or other devices.

Apple may lip strangle my penis neck and die screaming in a fire.

That is all.

Wasn't someone else (Amazon maybe?) doing something similar? That said, iTunes will never sit on any of my devices either. Way too intrusive.

An interesting thing I've found with Amazon Prime music is that in the past, if I downloaded a Prime playlist that I liked, the cloud playlist would often later remove songs (licensing I suppose), but the removed songs would remain in my offline library. Now I see the offline library is being read and the songs are removed there as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
Somebody else needed to learn...

This fascination with making everything dependent on both a fast, reliable network connection and a computer you haven't the slightest control over is downright disturbing.  Especially as dirt cheap as storage is these days.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 07:09:12 PM »
Somebody else needed to learn...

This fascination with making everything dependent on both a fast, reliable network connection and a computer you haven't the slightest control over is downright disturbing.  Especially as dirt cheap as storage is these days.

I may steal that for at work.

"Cloud" is just a buzzword tech executives say to impress each other with their cleverness.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »
"Cloud" is just a buzzword tech executives say to impress each other with their cleverness.

Whenever they start using it just ask them what real guarantees there are that anything using cloud storage or sent to a cloud app for processing won't be data mined.

Or, for that matter, come back with a virus.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 07:15:51 PM »
Whenever they start using it just ask them what real guarantees there are that anything using cloud storage or sent to a cloud app for processing won't be data mined.

One of the other buzzwords is "analytics".  They are counting on data-mining other peoples cloud storage.
"It's good, though..."

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »

Or even come back at all.

You can conceivably store something on a cloud server, have the business close down, and POOF, data's gone.

I'm sure you'd get warnings and such through email/text/calls, but if you failed to heed them in time?
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 07:25:50 AM »
Cloud storage and hosting is not universally stupid or a bad choice. I have had far more clients lose data that they stored themselves than lost data on remote hosted services.  The backup procedures and hardware redundancy offered by reputable cloud providers are much better than most individuals and small businesses are willing to pay for or manage.

In this particular case the author's problem was not that he was using a cloud service but that his cloud service overstepped and decided against his wishes to remove his personal files. 

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 11:09:22 PM »
No, it's not universally a bad choice...but it should NEVER be your only option.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »
No, it's not universally a bad choice...but it should NEVER be your only option.
Right, just as "one copy on my hard drive" should never be your only option.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
I may steal that for at work.

My 70 something year old pastor has discovered the cloud in the form of Dropbox. I'm pretty sure he ranks discovering it just below the second coming, albeit barely.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.