Author Topic: Life is better at the lake.  (Read 3762 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Life is better at the lake.
« on: May 08, 2016, 12:37:17 AM »
 =D

Club races today.
This was taken by a competitor on a 32' Hunter Vision.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

castle key

• friend
Re: Life is better at the lake.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:42:11 AM »
Is that a shop vac on the deck?
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:16:18 AM »
Is that a shop vac on the deck?

No, it's just happy ta see ya! ;-)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »
How hard is it to learn to sail? I'm in the market for a bigger powerboat since I have to an area with a lot of lakes, also toying around with getting a sailboat since I do want to boating instead of boozing in party cove.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:58:28 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:11:51 PM »
If you want to sale, first you have to have some money.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »
If you want to sale, first you have to have some money.
damn autospell.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
How hard is it to learn to sail? I'm in the market for a bigger powerboat since I have to an area with a lot of lakes, also toying around with getting a sailboat since I do want to boating instead of boozing in party cove.

A weekend to learn, a lifetime to master. I learn something every time I raise the sails.
As for cost, there are lots of good boats that can be had for a reasonable price. However, there is no such thing as a "free" sailboat. Also, a boat listed as a "project boat" should be view with the same skepticism as a van hand lettered with the invite for free candy.

If you're serious about it look around and find an ASA sailing school and take the Basic Keelboat course.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:10:50 AM »
A weekend to learn, a lifetime to master. I learn something every time I raise the sails.
As for cost, there are lots of good boats that can be had for a reasonable price. However, there is no such thing as a "free" sailboat. Also, a boat listed as a "project boat" should be view with the same skepticism as a van hand lettered with the invite for free candy.

If you're serious about it look around and find an ASA sailing school and take the Basic Keelboat course.

I was planning on taking a weekend long class or 2 either on Lake Peppin or Lake Michigan in the future before I buy. One of my dreams in post retirement is to sail around the Caribbean Sea and island hop. Also I've noticed used 25' sailboats are a lot cheaper than 17-19' powerboats by a lot. Trying to convince the wife might be hard, she wants a pontoon boat.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
If you can step up to 27' the amenities and comfort level ramp up considerably. To help keep the admiral happy a real marine head is a big plus. Not that aren't some decent 25' boats out there though but much bigger than 25'-26' gets you out of the practical trailer-able sailboats though. 
Just remember that while a project boat might seem like a good deal on the surface the real definition of "project boat" in a sales ad translates to "I seriously *expletive deleted*ed up this boat and want to pawn it off on some unsuspecting chump".
Another plus for a sailboat, I sailed from February till November last year and burned less than 10 gallons of gas. Not a huge deal while prices are this low but I imagine that the price of fuel will eventually rebound.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
If you can step up to 27' the amenities and comfort level ramp up considerably. To help keep the admiral happy a real marine head is a big plus. Not that aren't some decent 25' boats out there though but much bigger than 25'-26' gets you out of the practical trailer-able sailboats though. 
Just remember that while a project boat might seem like a good deal on the surface the real definition of "project boat" in a sales ad translates to "I seriously *expletive deleted*ed up this boat and want to pawn it off on some unsuspecting chump".
Another plus for a sailboat, I sailed from February till November last year and burned less than 10 gallons of gas. Not a huge deal while prices are this low but I imagine that the price of fuel will eventually rebound.
I'll need something trailer able, too many lakes within an hours drive.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 09:14:30 AM »
Standing headroom in a trailer sailor is a problem.
My 1st boat was a 1994 Macgregor 26S (the last year before they went to the motor-sail version) that I could pull and launch/recover easily enough behind my clapped out '92 Cherokee. I liked the boat and might have kept it but the Admiral thought we need a boat with a "real potty" (port-a-pots suck) and I agreed with her. Most trailer boats can be a little tender but if you're just looking for a day sailer and don't figure on overnighting there are lots of options.
Take a look at  http://www.sailingtexas.com/, it's one of the bigger online listing sights for sailboats.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 07:47:18 AM »
Thread necro...

So been talking sailing lessons this summer, 4th lesson finally got to solo without an instructor, course was beam reach figure 8 around 2 buoys. Loving it, found a nice boat just a little cash poor for it, 23' hunter. Said something to the wife about it, she asked if there was room on it for a sewing machine on it. I said how do you think you're going to provide electricity for the machine?

Back story, we used to have a travel trailer, she filled almost ever nook and cranny with quilting supplies. Of course it was rare when she actually did any sewing when we weekend with it. This will not happen again if i get a sailboat.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 08:32:54 AM »
What boat are you using in the class?

sailingtexas.com is a great place to see what is out there for sale and what reasonable prices might be.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
What boat are you using in the class?

sailingtexas.com is a great place to see what is out there for sale and what reasonable prices might be.

X boat

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 08:57:18 AM »
Also, if you do the book of faces thing, look for "Sailboat Swap Shop".

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 07:10:11 PM »
Also, if you do the book of faces thing, look for "Sailboat Swap Shop".

Put in a join request. I'm limited on boat size until it's my turn to be selected for a slip space on the nearby lake. Might take 10 or more years. Unless I win the lottery and can spend $1m on a lake home.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 10:15:24 PM »
Bought a 23 hunter tonight. History of the boat, 1st 2 years in a slip, 25 years in storage, 1 year as a trailer boat, 2 years in storage again.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
DAMMIT MAN! Where are the pictures?!

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »
DAMMIT MAN! Where are the pictures?!

In time, boat is in storage.

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »
1.  OP's pics seem to have expired.

I said how do you think you're going to provide electricity for the machine?

When we first occupied our unfinished summer house out on Long Island, my mother asked the same question.  So Pop bought her a treadle-operated machine.  Examining that thing as a ten-year old contributed to my fascination with machinery.

Don't expect many of them are around any more.  Pop also got a wind-up record player with one of those big horns on it for my sister's music.  That contributed to my love of Beethoven.  But I was also fascinated with the little adjustable governor on it.

Jes' reminiscin' fer what it's worth.

Terry

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 09:45:18 PM »

When we first occupied our unfinished summer house out on Long Island, my mother asked the same question.  So Pop bought her a treadle-operated machine.  Examining that thing as a ten-year old contributed to my fascination with machinery.

Don't expect many of them are around any more.  Pop also got a wind-up record player with one of those big horns on it for my sister's music.  That contributed to my love of Beethoven.  But I was also fascinated with the little adjustable governor on it.

Terry

Original pic was hosted photobucket.  [barf]

I have a treadle sewing machine that use fairly frequently, It's a Singer 29K60. It was made in Scotland in 1943. Huge cast iron beast of a machine, takes 2 people to move it.

Don't have a wind up Victrola anymore

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »

Terry

Space is limited on a hunter 23.

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »
Space is limited on a hunter 23.

"Jes' reminiscin' fer what it's worth."

As a matter of fact, I deleted a remark about using a treadle sewing machine for ballast.  :)

I also deleted some remarks about using cactus needles for the stylus on that wind-up record player, to reduce wear on the shellac 78 RPM records.  Standard practice for the <ahem> high fidelity aficionados of the day.

Enclosed horn, Edison Player, maybe 10, 15 grams(?) of stylus force, "My Gal Sal":

https://youtu.be/KbW12Nplch0?t=60

A wild sort of devil, but dead on the level, that's my gal Sal.

I don't know what the hell the violin was trying to do in there, but hey, everybody gets a turn.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:39:30 PM by 230RN »