Author Topic: When to boycot a business?  (Read 2012 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
When to boycot a business?
« on: June 11, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »
Team Wendy, a D.O.D. contractor that makes excellent ballistic helmets for NVGs, is hosting Hillary Clinton today.  Now, I don't know if the owner is a Clinton fan or if he is just practicing good business to keep his contracts flowing, but many people are up in arms about the visit.

AR15.com thread about it:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1876808_Hillary_Clinton_to_visit_Team_Wendy.html    The thread is short on info and long on outrage.

My opinion: I'll wait to see what Team Wendy has to say and look at any videos that come from the event before I get my outrage on.  If the Team Wendy owner is a Hillaryite, then I can find a helmet at OpsCore.

Your thoughts?

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: When to boycot a business?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 04:13:40 PM »
I agree.  I understand that a business has to play politicsby staing in good grace with buyers.  Not that I'm in the market for a helmet, but I'd wait and see as well.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
I'm not really in the market for a helmet.....can I boycott Wendy's Restaurant instead?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »
I would wait for a clear "you suck and we hate you moment." My only active boycotts are gun stuff, CTD, H-S, Leatherman, and a bevy of LGS who post no loaded guns signs.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: When to boycott a business?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 01:31:28 AM »
Are we talking about an organized boycott, where you tell them what you're doing, and why, and enlist others? Or just a casual boycott, where you simply decline to do business with them?

These are the places I casually boycott, either due to principle, or because I want to help the market work, by punishing bad business practices:

Charmin, because I hate their stupid bear commercials, where they show me pieces of toilet paper, stuck to a bear's rear end.

The local mortgage place, because the owner used to annoy the Holy Hand Grenade out of me, with his stupid voice in the commercials.

Restaurants that serve alcohol.

Places I mostly boycott:

Places that go overboard with their sexy advertisements (Hardees, GoDaddy.com, European-American-Armory (also boycotting them for their embarrassing, robot-woman-with-gun-leg adverts - they should change their name to WTFJapan-American-Armory))

Local grocery chain that isn't posted, but has a history of victim-disarmament-activism

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:32 AM »
Charmin, because I hate their stupid bear commercials, where they show me pieces of toilet paper, stuck to a bear's rear end.

But(t) at least they are in the woods, which answers that age old questions.  =|   ;)

bob

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
One must over look certain offenses. Life is to short to deal with inferior toilet paper.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »
Team Wendy?

Shouldn't that be a Girlcott or maybe Personcott nowadays?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
Word on the street is the owner has a history of donations to liberal politicans.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: When to boycott a business?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 02:35:47 PM »
Are we talking about an organized boycott, where you tell them what you're doing, and why, and enlist others? Or just a casual boycott, where you simply decline to do business with them?

These are the places I casually boycott, either due to principle, or because I want to help the market work, by punishing bad business practices:

The local mortgage place, because the owner used to annoy the Holy Hand Grenade out of me, with his stupid voice in the commercials.

Restaurants that serve alcohol.

Places I mostly boycott:

Places that go overboard with their sexy advertisements (Hardees, GoDaddy.com, European-American-Armory (also boycotting them for their embarrassing, robot-woman-with-gun-leg adverts - they should change their name to WTFJapan-American-Armory))

Local grocery chain that isn't posted, but has a history of victim-disarmament-activism

I won't go to H.H. Gregg appliance/electronic store.  No showed on two appointments to deliver item.  Called to cancel order, manager refused to do it on phone.  I went to the store and demanded the item right then.  Manager claimed that when we bought the washer, it was back-ordered.  It wasn't.  Said he'd wave the delivery fee.  It was free delivery.  Asked to reduce price for inconvenience, he told me tohave a nice day and walked away.  I write corporate, and got an FOAD letter.  Won't spend another dollar in that store.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
From what I have found out, the owner of Team Wendy is a lifelong democrat and a current Hillary donor and supporter.  The owner says all he cares about is protecting people from TBI and helping people who have TBI.  He doesn't mention anything about guns.  I'm inclined to believe him, but since he is a DOD contractor I'm sure he has heard all he needs to hear about guns, 2nd Amendment, and Hillary-is-the-devil from the military personnel he has met.  So, either is goes-along to get-along or he just keeps his mouth shut.  In any case, I be he knows Hillary's anti-gun stance and chooses to support her anyway.  Maybe he is anti-gun, too.  I don't know.

I'll go for the "soft" boycott.  I wasn't planning on buying a Team Wendy helmet this year, but I do plan to buy a NVG compatible helmet some day.  I guess I'll have to find another supplier.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
For what it's worth, TNVC has cut all business ties with Team Wendy as of today.

And the whole "suck up for DoD contracts"-thing... that could backfire too.

Because the "tip o' the spear" and door-kicker types who eat snakes and worms for breakfast, who actually are issued Team Wendy helmets, instead of a regular PASGT/ACH, their procurement chain is a bit more localized, more subject to team input and doesn't go through Washington (as much).
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:25 PM »
For what it's worth, TNVC has cut all business ties with Team Wendy as of today.

Because the "tip o' the spear" and door-kicker types who eat snakes and worms for breakfast, who actually are issued Team Wendy helmets, instead of a regular PASGT/ACH, their procurement chain is a bit more localized, more subject to team input and doesn't go through Washington (as much).
Seems a bit foolish.  You would think they would pay more attention to who their customers are both military and civilian and who makes the purchase decisions.  But maybe not everyone realizes how quickly vendors and publications can be blackballed in this industry. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
Why should they be worried? After all, "most gun-owners" and "most NRA members" support sensible gun safety confiscation, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 10:46:10 PM »
Any business that allows multilevel marketing groups to have recruitment meetings. I.e. AMWAY.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 11:34:15 PM »

I love TNVC.

And if they pay Hillary enough I'm sure she can convince the top brass that the PAGT/ACH is inadequate and they need a new replacement. And oh look the specs read like a Team Wendy catalog! What a surprise...

Bribing politicians has the highest rate of return of any investment.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 11:37:08 PM »
I agree.  I understand that a business has to play politicsby staing in good grace with buyers.  Not that I'm in the market for a helmet, but I'd wait and see as well.

If you want to stay in good grace with customers, It might be a good idea not to get caught up in politics or other controversial things.  On the other hand most Democrats and lefty libbies are not known for rational thought VS emotional dreck.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 10:02:09 AM »
Bribing politicians has the highest rate of return of any investment.

That's because the inverse, failing to bribe politicians, is the riskiest move any company can take. (See Gibson Guitars, for example.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought