8 (15.7%)
Yes but with riots
9 (17.6%)
No but with riots
6 (11.8%)
Fish and chips
17 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: British exit of EU guesses  (Read 17051 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: British exit of EU guesses
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2016, 01:18:37 AM »
There's talk of Northern Ireland leaving the UK, too.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

agricola

• friend
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2016, 07:18:23 AM »
Scotland may try for independence again:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/24/europe/scotland-eu-referendum/index.html

To be fair, what she wants to do could not really be called "independence"; she wants to swap being part of one union for another one, albeit one where they have less power.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2016, 07:49:47 AM »
Working for a British company and managing global services that have to meet EU regulatory requirements regarding data integrity, privacy, and so on, it will be interesting to see how this affects our service models.

We already have two teams and two "services" to cover the customers who don't want their data to leave the EU, but some of those are entirely UK-homed companies.  When the split is finalized, they may not want their data to leave the UK.  If so, we'll have to stand up a 3rd instance of our service.  For the ones who need to remain in the UK, the infrastructure is there, but managed remotely by folks in the UK, so the EU would get bodies. 

So, I can foresee the cost of running my services going up significantly. 

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2016, 10:50:38 AM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2016, 12:01:59 PM »
My Dad was in the Sprinkler fitters union.  I don't think he ever made that kind of money.  Did they bump up the rates recently?

Engineering can be a good college degree depending on what degree and grades.  However it doesn't always translate easily to your own business unless you get into some sort of specialty where you are your own contractor.  

The main thing is to pick a trade that won't go away with  improving technology or be replaced by robots/computers.  

Beats me, could just be regional variation too. Seattle generally has higher wages.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »
Beats me, could just be regional variation too. Seattle generally has higher wages.
My information is likely out of date also.  My Dad retired at least 5 years back and he spent his last 15 years as a foreman for a company out of Chicago and I am pretty sure they either paid him better or gave him some other benefits.  Anyway, I haven't heard him talk about the wages since before that which means the 80's or 90's.  I will have to ask him if he knows of any place where the wages were that high.  He still goes to union meetings for retirees.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re:
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
Fitters make big bucks in Chicago land. Foreman's make even more. Of course getting hours can be an issue if things are slow.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2016, 12:06:47 AM »
That is likely true here also about the work.  I am the youngest kid.  Once I got a couple years into college my Dad started going all around the country for jobs.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
From the wayback machine:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/11/16/why-uk-might-end-voting-brexit/

While Cameron looks certain to campaign for an “in” vote, Boris Johnson has yet to show his hand. This month’s YouGov/Prospect research shows that if Boris campaigns for Brexit, this could severely weaken the Cameron effect. In one survey we asked people how they would vote if both men campaigned for Britain to stay in the EU. The effect was to life the pro-EU majority from three points to 18 – a 15-point bounce. But when we asked a separate sample how they would vote if Cameron wanted “in” and Boris wanted “out”, the bounce was half as much – just eight points. At this stage such numbers can be no more than indicative. But they remain telling. If Cameron and Boris both campaign for an “in” vote, Conservatives say they would vote the same way by 51-31%; but if the two men end up on opposite sides, Tories then say they would vote 41-38% for Brexit.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »
Well, I see Britain is adopting the US model. If you lose, cry and wail and start e-petitions to have the vote overturned. Of course the same people who are signing the petition would have a hissy if it was all reversed and the Brexit side started a petition.

Also, I can't believe it, but I agree with Piers Morgan on something.

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2016/06/26/get-off-his-lawn-piers-morgan-calls-out-lazy-youth-over-brexit/

One of the commenters said:

that's unfair!! Very unfair! Truth is politics are not engaged with young people - WHY?

Again, very similar to the US. Sorry, but it's not up to politics to engage with young (or any) people. It's up to people to engage with politics. If I allowed politics in the US to engage with me, I'd be voting progressive and have my hand out for gov goodies. Instead, I think for myself, do my own research, and don't vote progressive.

Funny though, many are also blaming the "commoners" for this because apparently another poll showed that those with college degrees voted in higher percentages for "stay", and the working class voted in higher percentages for "leave". If only the little people would have listened to their betters. Or perhaps been kept from voting at all. Let those who know what's best for you take care of you. Again, very familiar sounding.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2016, 08:26:14 PM »
Not so well-reasoned or well-written, but I couldn't resist:

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:12 PM »
 :rofl:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »

Thanks for posting that. It's still cracking me up.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

It was the highest turnout in a UK-wide vote since the 1992 general election.

England voted strongly for Brexit, by 53.4% to 46.6%, as did Wales, with Leave getting 52.5% of the vote and Remain 47.5%.

Could MPs block an EU exit?

Could the necessary legislation pass the Commons, given that a lot of MPs - all SNP and Lib Dems, nearly all Labour and many Conservatives - were in favour of staying?

The referendum result is not legally binding - Parliament still has to pass the laws that will get Britain out of the 28 nation bloc, starting with the repeal of the 1972 European Communities Act.

The withdrawal agreement also has to be ratified by Parliament - the House of Lords and/or the Commons could vote against ratification, according to a House of Commons library report.

In practice, Conservative MPs who voted to remain in the EU would be whipped to vote with the government. Any who defied the whip would have to face the wrath of voters at the next general election.

One scenario that could see the referendum result overturned, is if MPs forced a general election and a party campaigned on a promise to keep Britain in the EU, got elected and then claimed that the election mandate topped the referendum one.

Two-thirds of MPs would have to vote for a general election to be held before the next scheduled one in 2020.

Going by the figures in the article, opponents of the Brexit spent more than twice as much as the Brexiteers, and with much larger donations. (Though the article doesn't list all the money spent.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:36:39 PM by fistful »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
I do hope the MP's kill this and stay in the EU. The Brits would be "vote for Trump" levels of pissed and they might actually start firing their traitor class MP's.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZl2udKDG3g

Some very special commentary about America, at about 50 seconds. Also, she thinks the majority of Brexiteers are over 75.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: British exit of EU guesses
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2016, 06:48:02 PM »

Some very special commentary about America, at about 50 seconds. Also, she thinks the majority of Brexiteers are over 75.
Special indeed.

Hilarious that, "I thought America was the one so filled with hate"

And she's oblivious to the hate she has for America  (and now her own countrymen).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2016, 06:52:20 PM »
I would like to ask her if believing that Europe is full of wonderful people (which she claims) isn't a form of racism.  :lol: Not that it is, it would just be fun to ask.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »

Also commentary about "older people." Apparently, in her world view, "older people" should not be entitled to have their votes count the same as those of younger people.

I noticed that while talking she continually turned her eyes up and toward her right, rather than looking at the camera or the interviewer. I recall seeing articles interpreting that, and I need to do some research to see what it's purported to indicate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:23 PM »

I noticed that while talking she continually turned her eyes up and toward her right, rather than looking at the camera or the interviewer. I recall seeing articles interpreting that, and I need to do some research to see what it's purported to indicate.

Usually means they're making it up as they go along.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »
"I feel that hate won."

(where "hate" == any opinion that I don't like)
                         - Barack Obama

agricola

• friend
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »
I do hope the MP's kill this and stay in the EU. The Brits would be "vote for Trump" levels of pissed and they might actually start firing their traitor class MP's.

They are entirely stupid enough to do this. 

UKIP has been taking votes from the Tories (and more recently, Labour) for years - mainly at European elections (they have one MP, but he is a Tory defector, and to be honest despises Farage anyway), this referendum result will get rid of UKIP (both by removing their reason for existence, and sacking the MEPs whose expenses go quite a long way to keep the party going) and so boost both main parties by literally millions of votes... which of course translates into more seats won; seats which may be key to winning a General Election and forming a government.

In fact the one way that UKIP can both survive and thrive is for the political class to try and ignore the result of this referendum.   In any kind of logical world this would mean that such an outcome would be unlikely, but this is Westminster and so there is probably a 90% likelyhood of them doing it.  In fact I would point out that even if they did it, it probably wouldn't be the most stupid thing that MPs will get up to this week (the farcical attempted defenestration of Corbyn by his own MPs wins that award).
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2016, 06:07:27 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/28/europe/uk-brexit-eu-referendum/index.html

"I know that virtually none of you have ever done a proper job in your lives or worked in business or worked in trade or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen," Farage said at the special meeting, held to address the Brexit fallout.

Whatever faults Farage may have, he's on target here.

- Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.