Author Topic: PA - Governor Wolf and House Republicans throw vaping under the bus  (Read 7168 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: PA - Governor Wolf and House Republicans throw vaping under the bus
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »
I'm very tempted to start a non-partisan lobbying foundation solely dedicated to punishment of these incumbents. Non-violent, obviously. But advocating voting for anyone except the people that voted for this. If you don't want to vote against your party, lobby against them in the primary. Call it "Money and Votes for Anyone Except These Wankers" or equivalent.
When I saw this I thought you were talking about planting illegal vaping devices in their cars or trying to tag them with the laws they voted for.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 10:40:59 AM »
When I saw this I thought you were talking about planting illegal vaping devices in their cars or trying to tag them with the laws they voted for.

Just start dripping juice on the hot plate of a coffee maker, and force them to define and license all the coffee pots in the state as vaping devices.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »

While hilarious, probably not legal. Doesn't even have to 'illegal'. If they have possession of a vaping device and don't have proof that it's licensed (even if it is), they're theoretically get fined or jail.

Reality is, and we both know it, laws only apply to the little people. It won't be applied to the governor or any of the politicians. Besides, they likely have a lifetime supply of free cigars from the cigar wholesaler lobby. I have direct knowledge of exactly that.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
I plan on stockpiling enough to last me 5 years.

5ml per day is 1825ml per year. Call it 2000 for spillage or whatnot. Bulk purchase of 12mg or 18mg 50/50 VG/PG is $10 per 500ml. $40 per year. $200 for 5 year supply. Not sure how long it lasts in the freezer.

100mg (10% nicotine) is not mucher cheaper but you have to then mix it yourself. $35 for 100mg 500ml and 7x 500ml at $6 is 4000ml for $77. Not much savings for more work. Though I'm told 100mg 90% VG lasts longer in storage. I'll look into nitrogen purging and vacuum bagging.

Math, chemistry and capitalism are necessary to fight prohibitionist bipartisan scum. Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to the Gods.

Roll your own tobacco tax jumped from $1.10 per pound to $24.78 per pound in 2009. Yes, that was a 2252.72% tax increase. Lot of the Founders grew tobacco. Wonder what their response to a 2252.72% tax hike would have been.

When is it taxed?  Can you buy unprocessed tobacco ahead of that point?  I don't think there are any old-fashioned tobacco auctions anymore...  Any Indians grow/sell tobacco from a reservation?  It won't be taxed, but the price will be artificially high because the high taxes everywhere else.

You might have to start growing your own.  AFAIK, that's not illegal yet.
"It's good, though..."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
I plan on stockpiling enough to last me 5 years.

5ml per day is 1825ml per year. Call it 2000 for spillage or whatnot. Bulk purchase of 12mg or 18mg 50/50 VG/PG is $10 per 500ml. $40 per year. $200 for 5 year supply. Not sure how long it lasts in the freezer.

100mg (10% nicotine) is not mucher cheaper but you have to then mix it yourself. $35 for 100mg 500ml and 7x 500ml at $6 is 4000ml for $77. Not much savings for more work. Though I'm told 100mg 90% VG lasts longer in storage. I'll look into nitrogen purging and vacuum bagging.

Math, chemistry and capitalism are necessary to fight prohibitionist bipartisan scum. Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to the Gods.

Roll your own tobacco tax jumped from $1.10 per pound to $24.78 per pound in 2009. Yes, that was a 2252.72% tax increase. Lot of the Founders grew tobacco. Wonder what their response to a 2252.72% tax hike would have been.

It's not much work.  I mix my own 120-500ml at a time.  $250 in materials is enough to make about 16 liters of 12mg 60/40 PG/VG (what my stick runs best on), with flavor.  That should last me about 20 years...so I make gifts :)
(Yeah I overbought,  got a smoking deal on 100mg/ml)

Vacuum bag and freeze for storage.  It's oxygen that ruins it.   

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
Damn I just love how free we are in America.  It's awesome.

Must be that American exceptionalism I keep hearing about.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
When is it taxed?  Can you buy unprocessed tobacco ahead of that point?  I don't think there are any old-fashioned tobacco auctions anymore...  Any Indians grow/sell tobacco from a reservation?  It won't be taxed, but the price will be artificially high because the high taxes everywhere else.

You might have to start growing your own.  AFAIK, that's not illegal yet.

Not sure. Also pipe tobacco was accidentally not insanely tax hiked. So roll your own folks have switched to that. I think they closed that 'gap'.  Government gets pretty angry when they pass four digit increases in taxes and people have the nerve to respond to economic incentives for cheaper solutions. Not sure what will be the next cheaper thing than vaping. They raise taxes through the roof and then are upset when the tax doesn't bring in nearly as much as desired. Then pay more money to enforce said taxes because of significant jump in black marketing. PA is getting the jump on that, hence law pre-emptively demanding up to 5 year sentencing for leaving the state for lesser taxed products.

It's not much work.  I mix my own 120-500ml at a time.  $250 in materials is enough to make about 16 liters of 12mg 60/40 PG/VG (what my stick runs best on), with flavor.  That should last me about 20 years...so I make gifts :)
(Yeah I overbought,  got a smoking deal on 100mg/ml)

Vacuum bag and freeze for storage.  It's oxygen that ruins it.   

I ordered about 3000ml from Nicotine River. I'm planning on buying a mix of different types for experimenting and in case of bad run.  I was familiar with freezer for storage. Need to buy a vacuum bagger. Double bagged ziplock would probably be fine in the short run. 16 liters is a bit much. For my needs. For the second. Alright, fine, I'm eying up 10 to 15 liters. Freezer space is my primary limitation.

I split between 12mg 50/50 and 100mg/ml. The 50/50 I can just pour into a bottle, add flavoring and good to go on the spot. The 100mg/ml is my long term stockpile for after tax hikes kick in. Sadly, short of doing to extremes, I don't think the fluids will last twenty years of storage.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
Not sure. Also pipe tobacco was accidentally not insanely tax hiked. So roll your own folks have switched to that. I think they closed that 'gap'.  Government gets pretty angry when they pass four digit increases in taxes and people have the nerve to respond to economic incentives for cheaper solutions. Not sure what will be the next cheaper thing than vaping. They raise taxes through the roof and then are upset when the tax doesn't bring in nearly as much as desired. Then pay more money to enforce said taxes because of significant jump in black marketing. PA is getting the jump on that, hence law pre-emptively demanding up to 5 year sentencing for leaving the state for lesser taxed products.

I ordered about 3000ml from Nicotine River. I'm planning on buying a mix of different types for experimenting and in case of bad run.  I was familiar with freezer for storage. Need to buy a vacuum bagger. Double bagged ziplock would probably be fine in the short run. 16 liters is a bit much. For my needs. For the second. Alright, fine, I'm eying up 10 to 15 liters. Freezer space is my primary limitation.

I split between 12mg 50/50 and 100mg/ml. The 50/50 I can just pour into a bottle, add flavoring and good to go on the spot. The 100mg/ml is my long term stockpile for after tax hikes kick in. Sadly, short of doing to extremes, I don't think the fluids will last twenty years of storage.

That's why i got the 100mg/ml, easier to freeze the two liters of that, yet avoiding the dilution precision required for small batches with the pure.  Also, I know I'll be able to get USP grade VG and PG regardless of taxes and FDA :)

Agree on the 20yrs...though...I might cryo it :)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 03:52:26 PM »
:lol:

I appreciate that, but unfortunately I stick with USP grade nicotine myself.

Indeed. Because lower cost, higher efficiency, more compact storage, more environmental resistance and significantly reduced health risks are indeed are not manly traits.

Yep. You got us. Good one. Very original! So much creativity, and yet subtle.

Lighten up Francis =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »
^^^I am reminded of the wailing and gnashing of teeth in Olympia when gas tax revenues were falling due to people driving less and the use of electric vehicles.  They passed a tax just for electric vehicles.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
Next big thing in tobacco alternatives:  diy time release nicotine suppositories.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »
That's why i got the 100mg/ml, easier to freeze the two liters of that, yet avoiding the dilution precision required for small batches with the pure.  Also, I know I'll be able to get USP grade VG and PG regardless of taxes and FDA :)

Agree on the 20yrs...though...I might cryo it :)

I always buy the 100mg/ml mainly because it simplifies my mixing. 1 ml in a 30ml bottle gives me my preferred strength, while leaving me plenty of room for adding enough VG to my PG based flavors to get my 80/20 VG/PG mix. I'm wondering though if its better to store the nicotine in glass, or the plastic bottles it comes in. I always buy from nudenicotine as its the only place I've tried where the nic is completely flavor free.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
Next big thing in tobacco alternatives:  diy time release nicotine suppositories.

How do you keep them lit?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »
I always buy the 100mg/ml mainly because it simplifies my mixing. 1 ml in a 30ml bottle gives me my preferred strength, while leaving me plenty of room for adding enough VG to my PG based flavors to get my 80/20 VG/PG mix. I'm wondering though if its better to store the nicotine in glass, or the plastic bottles it comes in. I always buy from nudenicotine as its the only place I've tried where the nic is completely flavor free.

Ah, you're one of those 3mg types. I bought a "make your own coil and wick" heads to try out. I was told to move to 3mg. My problem is, it's geared towards huge vapor clouds with lower mg per bit of vapor. Mind you, I'm keeping that as a long term backup. But in the mean time, I bought a huge stock of BVC coils for the Nautilus. And I intend on rebuilding them. They're slightly tricky, but not that bad. I just regret the decent number I've tossed already. 12mg/ml is enough to get a decent amount of nicotine for a mild amount of vapor. I like being both polite and low profile.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
Ah, you're one of those 3mg types. I bought a "make your own coil and wick" heads to try out. I was told to move to 3mg. My problem is, it's geared towards huge vapor clouds with lower mg per bit of vapor. Mind you, I'm keeping that as a long term backup. But in the mean time, I bought a huge stock of BVC coils for the Nautilus. And I intend on rebuilding them. They're slightly tricky, but not that bad. I just regret the decent number I've tossed already. 12mg/ml is enough to get a decent amount of nicotine for a mild amount of vapor. I like being both polite and low profile.

I was burning coils lime crazy on that setup, I switched to 60% PG instead of 50/50 and the coil I'm on is going on over a month.  Also, I find I'm using less.  Those little coils have difficulty with the thicker fluids and tend to get burned out/gummed up.  I also bumped up my menthol, which reduces how much I use as the flavor is stronger.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2016, 05:56:30 PM »

Indeed, I alternate between a Velocity RDA when I'm home or out with friends and a Billow V3 tank when I'm working. I'm always respectful of non vapers around me; but fortunately I'm usually in a situation where I'm not bothering anybody. If you want the best low profile tank out there, grab yourself a Kayfun. Tobecco makes the best clones. They're rebuildable only, and easy to use. I averaged about 6 months on a coil, and rewicked once a week or so. That's about a 5 minute process, and you just use organic cotton balls. I switched from the Nautilus to the Kayfun about a year ago, and it was a big improvement in flavor, plus a $10 investment in kanthal wire and organic cotton balls is probably good for about 8 or 9 years of vaping. I was using 18mg in the Nautilus, and dropped to 9mg for the Kayfun.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2016, 06:58:38 PM »
Oh, thanks to all of y'all who don't feel the need to use pocket fog machines to get your nicotine.  Got caught in a cloud a while back and it irritated my airway such like tobacco never has.  I wondered what dude was vaping to cause the irritation and why he needed to waste so much of it in a big cloud.  Maybe the vaping equivalent to "rolling coal?"

For my own part as a non-smoker/non-vape-er, I see vaping as much superior to smoking in most every dimension.  Seems about as obtrusive as drinking coffee or chewing peppermint gum.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
Oh cool.

Does it make you blow smoke out your ass?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2016, 08:52:37 PM »
Oh cool.

Does it make you blow smoke out your ass?

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.

For my own part, I don't need any help to do that.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2016, 09:47:36 PM »
I was burning coils lime crazy on that setup, I switched to 60% PG instead of 50/50 and the coil I'm on is going on over a month.  Also, I find I'm using less.  Those little coils have difficulty with the thicker fluids and tend to get burned out/gummed up.  I also bumped up my menthol, which reduces how much I use as the flavor is stronger.

As expensive as Aspire Nautilus coils are, they're not that great. I plan on drilling out the holes a bit, replacing the wicking material with better stuff, better wire which means more control over resistance. Bought a kit to do coils, which hey, can also be used to make my own springs if I ever needed to do so. From what you're saying, 60/40 12mg runs thinner and lasts longer before gunking up the coils. I doubt I'll be able to beat a month, but should be more consistent over that month.

Btw, moved to an IPV D3. Prefer over the iStick. 18650 batteries are cheap on Amazon. I occasionally had issues with the iStick voltage up button being hit up to max, and then hitting the control button, which fried the coil. D3 has slightly recessed control buttons.

Indeed, I alternate between a Velocity RDA when I'm home or out with friends and a Billow V3 tank when I'm working. I'm always respectful of non vapers around me; but fortunately I'm usually in a situation where I'm not bothering anybody. If you want the best low profile tank out there, grab yourself a Kayfun. Tobecco makes the best clones. They're rebuildable only, and easy to use. I averaged about 6 months on a coil, and rewicked once a week or so. That's about a 5 minute process, and you just use organic cotton balls. I switched from the Nautilus to the Kayfun about a year ago, and it was a big improvement in flavor, plus a $10 investment in kanthal wire and organic cotton balls is probably good for about 8 or 9 years of vaping. I was using 18mg in the Nautilus, and dropped to 9mg for the Kayfun.

I picked up a Griffin 25 and plan on using enough to get experienced. Essentially as a backup. Enough kanthal wire and Japanese cotton to last several decades. 100ft of wire is $6.50 on Amazon. But I'm ordering plenty of spare parts from Aspire to build a number of Nautilus heads and about 30 coils, which I can rebuild. The general notion is to use the RDA at home where the large vapor volumes aren't an issue. Nautilus for car and work.

Oddly enough, biggest problem has been shattering those pyrex shells. I really don't want to switch to stainless steel, but I'm probably going to at least buy one. Again, goal is to be self-sustainable for 5-10 years. My primary concern is screwing the revenue flow to the state at the moment.

Oh, thanks to all of y'all who don't feel the need to use pocket fog machines to get your nicotine.  Got caught in a cloud a while back and it irritated my airway such like tobacco never has.  I wondered what dude was vaping to cause the irritation and why he needed to waste so much of it in a big cloud.  Maybe the vaping equivalent to "rolling coal?"

For my own part as a non-smoker/non-vape-er, I see vaping as much superior to smoking in most every dimension.  Seems about as obtrusive as drinking coffee or chewing peppermint gum.

Oh, there's plenty of giant cloud vaping twits. I think it's rude as hell. And unfortunately, too few of them blow up their faces with massively sub ohm coils and waaaaaay too many watts. Which annoys me because I haven't found anything between sub ohm rebuildable heads which are cheap as dirt but lots of low nicotine vapor and more expensive allegedly non-rebuildable (lolz) vertical coil units with higher ohm, lower cloud level and higher nicotine level. 

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »

I haven't found anything between sub ohm rebuildable heads which are cheap as dirt but lots of low nicotine vapor and more expensive allegedly non-rebuildable (lolz) vertical coil units with higher ohm, lower cloud level and higher nicotine level. 

Seriously, look up the Kayfun tank or the Russian 91%. They're the same internal design. Similar amounts of vapor to a Nautilus. More durable, and rebuildable only. Authentics are $100+; but the Tobecco clone runs about $20 and is identical. I usually ran a 1.3-1.5 ohm build, and never fed it more then about 13 watts. The IPV looks pretty nice, I've stuck to Provari mods since I first tried one. I've been using a Radius since my pre-order showed up; but if you don't need the power, the 2.5 is down to $50, or $35 in their scratch and dent section. Perfect mod for The Nautilus or the Kayfun. Either will run all day on a single good 18650. Speaking of which, be very careful of the batteries you buy on Amazon. There's about an 80% counterfeit rate. Check out  http://rtdvapor.com/    Good guy, we have a bunch of mutual friends, and everything he sells is authentic. Prices are pretty good too. PG is a fair bit thinner then VG. In the Nautilus, 50/50 was about as High a level of VG that I could get to wick properly. With everything I use now I try to keep my mixes around 80% VG. I prefer to have less throat hit.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »
Seriously, look up the Kayfun tank or the Russian 91%. They're the same internal design. Similar amounts of vapor to a Nautilus. More durable, and rebuildable only. Authentics are $100+; but the Tobecco clone runs about $20 and is identical. I usually ran a 1.3-1.5 ohm build, and never fed it more then about 13 watts. The IPV looks pretty nice, I've stuck to Provari mods since I first tried one. I've been using a Radius since my pre-order showed up; but if you don't need the power, the 2.5 is down to $50, or $35 in their scratch and dent section. Perfect mod for The Nautilus or the Kayfun. Either will run all day on a single good 18650. Speaking of which, be very careful of the batteries you buy on Amazon. There's about an 80% counterfeit rate. Check out  http://rtdvapor.com/    Good guy, we have a bunch of mutual friends, and everything he sells is authentic. Prices are pretty good too. PG is a fair bit thinner then VG. In the Nautilus, 50/50 was about as High a level of VG that I could get to wick properly. With everything I use now I try to keep my mixes around 80% VG. I prefer to have less throat hit.

I picked up the kayfun tobeco clone and am going to try it out.

I'll check out that site w.r.t battery/controller. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »
I picked up the kayfun tobeco clone and am going to try it out.

I'll check out that site w.r.t battery/controller. 

Model number and source of clone?

That site has pretty good prices. Better than amazon. I use the Samsung INR18650-25R batteries and recommend them. They're not the best, but in my opinion they're the best for the price. LG's are allegedly slightly better. I'd rather have 4 good batteries for the price of 2 awesome batteries. Also, I have two spare "The Cell Box" plastic bins with gaskets if you want 'em.  Water resistant than water tight, but you could sort that out with a bead of silicone if it was an issue. Line the case with a microfiber cloth, as they have spare space for the oversized 18650 batteries. I bought a 4 pack of two battery cases off Amazon and only have 4 batteries. 4 is sufficient overkill, as the battery generally lasts me two days.

Well, I'm pondering buying 18650 flashlights. Be nice to have battery commonality.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »
Model number and source of clone?

That site has pretty good prices. Better than amazon. I use the Samsung INR18650-25R batteries and recommend them. They're not the best, but in my opinion they're the best for the price. LG's are allegedly slightly better. I'd rather have 4 good batteries for the price of 2 awesome batteries. Also, I have two spare "The Cell Box" plastic bins with gaskets if you want 'em.  Water resistant than water tight, but you could sort that out with a bead of silicone if it was an issue. Line the case with a microfiber cloth, as they have spare space for the oversized 18650 batteries. I bought a 4 pack of two battery cases off Amazon and only have 4 batteries. 4 is sufficient overkill, as the battery generally lasts me two days.

Well, I'm pondering buying 18650 flashlights. Be nice to have battery commonality.

Some 3-AAA flashlights will take a single 18650 in place of the battery holder.  I roll up some paper to make an insulating sleeve to take up some of the extra space.  And some 3-AAA flashlights are just a *little* too short to accommodate a 18650 and you have to use the shorter ones... I think they are 18500's.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
Finally got another Protank III a few weeks ago and been using it on an eGo-C Twist.  Ordered up a mini Protank III from Mt Baker and a iTaste LEO to have something a little more pocket friendly.  Definitely still a fan of passthrough batteries, since I can keep the iTaste with the mini charging at hand all day at work, and when I'm wandering around I grab the Twist and full size tank.  At the end of the day, the larger rig goes in my bag and the smaller in my pocket.  At home, it depends on what I'm doing, but usually the iTaste is just into the orange battery level by the time I get back to work the next morning.

Right now, I've got 3mg Cinnamon Roll in the full size, cranked up to just where it doesn't quite taste scorched, and 24mg Honeydew in the little one.  I find that not-quite-cloudchasing with the lower levels is satisfying when I don't yet want a cig, and higher nicotine at 3.7V will stave off the craving for another 30-90 minutes depending on stress levels without utterly destroying my throat.

Anybody else tried Peaches and Cream cotton yarn for wicks?  I rewicked a couple of Protank II and older style III coils with it with good results.  Not sure how hard it would be to get that right with the newer style III coils, but at $8 for enough to rewick a few hundred times and crochet a good sized shawl too, it's nice to have around.