Author Topic: What to use for hives? (yellowjackets are aholes)  (Read 2577 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
What to use for hives? (yellowjackets are aholes)
« on: July 25, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
I was moving a wood pile yesterday and stirred up a yellowjacket nest (I haven't found it yet)  Got stung about 6 or 7 times.    Only 3 of the stings are causing any discomfort today, and 2 of those are almost gone at this point.  But the one on the back of my thigh where the bastard crawled up the leg of my cutoffs and stung me after I'd run away still hurts like a son of a gun; is red and slightly swollen for about a 4 inch diameter circle.  It was a 2" circle w/o hives yesterday.  My jeans are stiff right over that spot from the serum leaking out.

I'm taking Benadryl.  Covered with a loose bandage, or open?  Do I put Calamine lotion or zinc oxide on it?  Or hydrocortisone 1% ointment?  Or do I need to goto a doc and get some Prednisone?  I'm not allergic to them, but I think the venom contains histamine.

Just before dark tonight I'm going to tear the woodpile apart to expose the nest -- using a 16 foot fiberglass pole (maybe longer) with a hook on the end.  Then with a flashlight after it gets dark, throw some Sevin dust on them.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What to use for hives? (yellowjackets are aholes)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »
I'm gonna go ahead and assume this wasn't a post about left wing yellow jackets and move it from politics to RT. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:39 PM »
Benadryl, hydrocortisone would be my approach.   
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:30:53 PM »
Did I post it in Politics?  :lol:  Sorry about that!
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 03:33:32 PM »
Damn, three responses in and no one said det chord or kill them with fire.

People we are slipping.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »
Did I post it in Politics?  :lol:  Sorry about that!

Apparently yellow jacket stings make you disoriented as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »
Damn, three responses in and no one said det chord or kill them with fire.

Thought it was implied.

WalMart carb and intake cleaner has become my go-to; cheaper than starter fluid but still reliably starts the mower and burns the wings off of wasps.

I think I even cleaned a carburetor with it about a year ago.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
If its a ground nest, pour Sevin dust down the hole- problem solved.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »
If its a ground nest, pour Sevin dust down the hole- problem solved.

I've done that many times; usually methoxychlor instead of Sevin, but both work.  Using dust instead of liquid is the key, it doesn't even take very much.  I don't know where the nest is yet.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
I've done that many times; usually methoxychlor instead of Sevin, but both work.  Using dust instead of liquid is the key, it doesn't even take very much.  I don't know where the nest is yet.

Wrap some Tannerite up in bags of Sevin, pitch it in the general area, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:16 PM »
It's been over 24 hours, and all the stings except one are fine now.  That one continues to get worse.  (I was gonna say it looks like a brown recluse spider bite, but I googled it and the pictures are gross.  It doesn't look anything like *most* of those pics)  If it's still worse tomorrow, I'll need to see a doctor.
"It's good, though..."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
If you put an aspirin poultice on any sting, the pain and swelling will immediately go away.  I'm allergic, but since I discovered that, I've been stung numerous times by scorpions, yellow jackets and bees.  No problems from any of the stings.

Oh, and I wouldn't use Sevin.  The 27 foot wasp sprays work much better.  They have something in them (oil, maybe?) that immediately disables the wasps.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
WD-40 works, too.  Gotta get closer than the wasp sprays, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 12:02:12 PM »
I recommend 10 frame deeps.

http://theohiobeeboxcompany.com/

For yellow jackets - napalm.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 11:40:29 PM »
I found another huge wasp nest (hornets?) under the deck railing just seconds before they found me.  I bumped the railing with a rake handle on the other end of the deck and I saw them boiling-out out of the corner of my eye and ran to safety.  I might have been far enough away already, but I didn't wanna find out.

I went to Walmart and bought a can of hornet spray.  It says it sprays a stream up to 27 feet.  It sprays foam for about 10 feet.  (I have a pump sprayer that does better) I didn't like getting that close to a nest that big (about the size of a football), but I sprayed them pretty good a few minutes ago.  I will spray again tomorrow just after twilight; hopefully I killed most of 'em tonight.

And I think there's another nest inside a gas grill I haven't used in years.  Every once in a while I see one crawl in or out of a little hole on the side.  Obvious thing to do there is to light the grill, but it doesn't have a propane tank hooked up.  That one might be a candidate for detcord...
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 08:19:27 AM »
Sounds like a good excuse to justify to the wifey why you need a flamethrower.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 12:19:33 AM »
Re: pain in the leg. from the sting.  Most important thing is to get the stinger out as quickly as possible.  Even after the yellowjacket has left, it will continue to pump venom into you and increase the pain, redness, swelling, etc.   Several good poultices available at most drug stores.  The Aspirin poultice also works good to reduce pain.

If you have a local surplus store, I would recommend buying a MOPP suit as it too thick for yellowjackets to sting through the suit.  (Work gloves and a good head gear are important also, to prevent stings.)   It will be hotter to wear, but well worth it.  Ask me how I know.

Good luck finding the nest(s).  Fire is your friend, especially after dark.... ;) =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 02:16:31 AM »
Unlike bees Yellow Jackets and other wasps do not leave their stingers behind. They can sting multiple times. They do however release an alarm pheromone when they sting which signals their friends to join the attack.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 02:30:16 AM »
Re: pain in the leg. from the sting.  Most important thing is to get the stinger out as quickly as possible.  Even after the yellowjacket has left, it will continue to pump venom into you and increase the pain, redness, swelling, etc.   Several good poultices available at most drug stores.  The Aspirin poultice also works good to reduce pain.

If you have a local surplus store, I would recommend buying a MOPP suit as it too thick for yellowjackets to sting through the suit.  (Work gloves and a good head gear are important also, to prevent stings.)   It will be hotter to wear, but well worth it.  Ask me how I know.

Good luck finding the nest(s).  Fire is your friend, especially after dark.... ;) =D

No stinger to remove; that's a bee thing, yellowjackets and hornets don't leave a stinger.  OTOH they can sting multiple times where a bee just has one shot.  

My leg got bad enough that I went to the doc.  He said it was cellulitis (it's not cellulitis) and gave me antibiotics.  I asked if I could get an oral steroid (Prednidone) too for the itching and inflammation.  He said the prednisone will make it heal slower, and I told him I didn't care if it took an extra couple of days if the itching and swelling and drainage goes away.  He gave me the prednisone.  I'm taking both to cover all the bases.  It looks a lot better (2 inch lesion with well defined edges, it was 4 to 5 inches, weeping, and poorly defined) and doesn't hurt or itch anymore.

I wussed-out and hired an exterminator.  I've got at least 3 nests; two of them are huge and I don't know about the 3rd.  And there may be a 4th in an old abandoned doghouse, I can't get close enough to check.  I try to deal with one and it stirs up the others.  I'm getting $6500 from the insurance company to replace the roof, and I didn't think they would cover it.  $150 for the exterminator will come out of that; it's cheaper than another trip to the clinic.

MOPP suit?  Is that like Tyvek coveralls and a bee hat?  (be sure and put boot bands around the cuffs to keep the bastards out)  No, 4-letter acronym instead of 3 means it's military. :)
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
Hire the cheapest goofiest exterminator you can find, keep your distance, and get his efforts on video.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.