Author Topic: Deep plowing as a farming technique is obsolete?  (Read 12074 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Deep plowing as a farming technique is obsolete?
« on: August 13, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
On Kiplinger's, I was reading a list of ten things that will soon be obsolete.  Plowing is on the list.   Is this true?  Is turning the soil still necessary, and if so, how is it done these days?

The Plow

Few things are as symbolic of farming as the moldboard plow, but the truth is, the practice of “turning the soil” is dying off.

Modern farmers have little use for it. It provides a deep tillage that turns up too much soil, encouraging erosion because the plow leaves no plant material on the surface to stop wind and rain water from carrying the soil away. It also requires a huge amount of diesel fuel to plow, compared with other tillage methods, cutting into farmers' profits. The final straw: It releases more carbon dioxide into the air than other tillage methods.

Deep plowing is winding down its days on small, poor farms that can't afford new machinery. Most U.S. cropland is now managed as "no-till" or minimum-till, relying on herbicides and implements such as seed drills that work the ground with very little disturbance. Even organic farmers have found ways to minimize tillage, using cover crops rather than herbicides to cut down on weeds. Firms like John Deere (DE) offer a range of sophisticated devices for these techniques.

Read more at http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/business/T057-S001-7-things-that-will-soon-disappear/index.html#I5sI9JHOEr5ERMjK.99

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Deep plowing as a farming technique is obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
Sounds like the seed drills are essentially advanced plowing.  Plus they probably don't fertilize the same way they used to.  I could be wrong, I am no farmer.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
My family has moldboard plowed for the past 150 odd years, with no negative effect.  In the past 10 years,  we've purchased a no till drill, but turning the soil over and rotating crops is still important.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
Don't need plows no more. Just hose everything with glyphosate and plant "Round-up Ready" seeds from Monsanto and you're good to go with your "no-till" drill.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 02:37:38 PM »
My father was an agronomist with the soil conservation service.  He said they were trying to get farmers to practice no-till farming:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-till_farming

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »
My Dad was into no-till a long time ago.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
couldn't read.
The site blocked me because I have Adblocker.
eff them. :old:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »
"No Till" is a misnomer. It should be "minimum till". The ground must still be disturbed to some degree to plant seed, and sometimes to combat unwanted vegetation which can't be cost-effectively controlled by other means. If by "deep plowing" they mean old-school rippers, then yes. At one time they were used extensively, the thought being that deep ripping 12" to 18" below the surface allowed more moisture penetration. Unfortunately it also allows more moisture to escape than it captures so the practice has been all but abandoned except in very limited circumstances.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 06:45:09 PM »
"No Till" is a misnomer. It should be "minimum till". The ground must still be disturbed to some degree to plant seed, and sometimes to combat unwanted vegetation which can't be cost-effectively controlled by other means. If by "deep plowing" they mean old-school rippers, then yes. At one time they were used extensively, the thought being that deep ripping 12" to 18" below the surface allowed more moisture penetration. Unfortunately it also allows more moisture to escape than it captures so the practice has been all but abandoned except in very limited circumstances.

Brad

as a WAG,  Ohio farmers in my area still moldboard at least 50% of the time.  Those that don't at least chisel plow,  though that is less invasive.

I don't set up as an expert,  but IME the farms that have went to only no-till and no rotation end up with drainage issues.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
Sounds like the seed drills are essentially advanced plowing.  Plus they probably don't fertilize the same way they used to.  I could be wrong, I am no farmer.

My younger boy gets excited whenever he sees the poop truck working the fields.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 11:05:16 AM »
They also have no till planters, just like a traditional planter except they have heavier springs for more down pressure on planting wheels. Also many of them have row cleaners in the front that rake the debris away seed row ahead of the planting wheels.

No till doesn't work for every field/farming operation but it works for some. For the most part in Iowa, moldboard tillage has gone the way of the buggy whip, and has been replaced by conservation tillage. Conservation tillage still works the soil, but it leaves 40-70% of the plant residue on the soil surface, for the most part this is almost as equal in soil erosion loss as no till.

In a very basic nutshell: The residue slows down the energy of the raindrops, which in turn keeps the soil peds from breaking apart and being carried away by wind and water run off.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »

Brad

there is still a need to use a harrow to smooth the surface, aerate the soil,  and remove unwanted growth,

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »
Basically yes. The only people still deep plowing are those who are stuck in their ways and haven't died off yet.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
Basically yes. The only people still deep plowing are those who are stuck in their ways and haven't died off yet.

Sub-soil rippers are still be manufactured.

http://www.caseih.com/northamerica/en-us/products/tillage/disk-rippers

Uranus is a gas giant.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
We have Lely Roterras for prepping the race track. Couldn't imagine farming without one.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:37 PM »
as a WAG,  Ohio farmers in my area still moldboard at least 50% of the time.  Those that don't at least chisel plow,  though that is less invasive.

We had a guy around here that used an old, modified road grader, which basically scooped off the top foot of soil, flipped it over and then set it down a few yards to the right.  He would burn and flip in the fall or winter, (such as it is here) and then disc a time or two before spring planting.  Not sure if he's still around, but his fields always looked kind of interesting after the grader runs, but he seemed to get good crops.  Of course, some of that probably comes from the fact that a lot of the soil types around here are a DIY loam; hard clay separated by bands of sand.  If you can get the two mixed, it's great.  Otherwise you kill the weeds and wait for coastal to take over, then make your money off hay.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »
there is still a need to use a harrow to smooth the surface, aerate the soil,  and remove unwanted growth,

Crop-dependent, and even then still in use on a very sparing basis. In most instances the harrow was determined to be wasteful and unnecessary, yet another soil modification that hurt more than helped when judged objectively.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 03:09:09 PM »
Crop-dependent, and even then still in use on a very sparing basis. In most instances the harrow was determined to be wasteful and unnecessary, yet another soil modification that hurt more than helped when judged objectively.

Brad

A lot of disk harrowing is done right before planting, especially when rotating from corn to beans. Mostly to break up residue and help warm the soil by blacking it.

Also to incorporate any herbicide and/or fertilizer.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »
A lot of disk harrowing is done right before planting, especially when rotating from corn to beans. Mostly to break up residue and help warm the soil by blacking it.

We don't see much, if any, harrow use in these parts. Common crops here don't need it, and growing seasons don't line up right for the crop rotations they do in northern plains and mid-western states.

Brad
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Sub-soil rippers are still be manufactured.

http://www.caseih.com/northamerica/en-us/products/tillage/disk-rippers

Somebody stuck in their ways still need to replace their equipment, even if the usage of said equipment is unnecessary or counterproductive.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »
Somebody stuck in their ways still need to replace their equipment, even if the usage of said equipment is unnecessary or counterproductive.

These newer type of rippers do a good job of leaving residue on the soil surface.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »

Synthetic fertilizer is a relatively new concept, but has been in use since the 1950s.

Anhydrous ammonia is probably the dominate fertilizer in the corn belt, followed by 32% Urea (either liquid or granular) application. Do have some foliage applications and more are starting to switch to a smaller pre-plant application (usually included with a pre-emergent herbicide application) and side dress with Urea before reproductive growth occurs on corn. Gets the nitrogen to the plant when it needs it, instead of a big pre-plant application and having nutrient loss.

Yes tons of manure is still incorporated into the soil near the confinement operations.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »
.. and not one sex joke yet.  I would have lost that bet.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »
We haven't gotten to the part about the daughter and the traveling salesman yet.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 08:14:42 PM »

We always disc between spring and fall planting - corn and wheat/oats. Also to disc in the five bajillion tons of stinkin' manure that gets spread before each crop.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."