Author Topic: 308 Bolt Rifle DBM choice  (Read 2241 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
308 Bolt Rifle DBM choice
« on: September 09, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »
So, I've had a Savage Hog Hunter for a while now and like the gun except for one thing, the blind magazine.  The blind magazine is basically a regular mag mounted inside the stock.  I find loading it through the ejection port tricky and tedious at times, certainly not as smooth as my Winchester.  I decided to replace the stock and convert to a DBM.

I have a stock on the way (used Savage 14 walnut stock), which is factory inletted for the Savage DBM.  I now have to make a choice:  Use the factory bottom metal and DBM, limiting my capacity to 5 rounds (4 in mag, 1 in pipe) or switch to an aftermarket bottom metal that allows the use of the AICS pattern mags (5 or 10 round).

The factory set up is cheapest ($110 for the parts I need), with mags available just about anywhere.  However, I'm limited to 5 rounds unless I buy a $100 aftermarket mag that fits the factory bottom metal.  If I go AICS, the bottom metal will run me $150-$200 plus the cost of mags (as low as $35 for Magpul's new AICS mags).  I'll also have to do some inletting work.  So, for 10-rounds, it's a wash price-wise, but I may not *want* a 10rnd mag.  Factory is much cheaper for 5rnd capacities and will have me up and running faster (drop in parts). 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
Why do you want more than 5 rounds? Mag length can affect the balance and make it difficult to shoot prone or from some rests.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: 308 Bolt Rifle DBM choice
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 11:55:21 AM »
How will you use the rifle?

Hunting only/mainly = Savage DBM 5 rounds.

Long range fun = AICS 10 rounder.

A little of both or jack of all trades = AICS.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
Why do you want more than 5 rounds? Mag length can affect the balance and make it difficult to shoot prone or from some rests.

I don't shoot it prone or off the bench.  It's an iron-sighted centerfire plinker.

How will you use the rifle?

Hunting only/mainly = Savage DBM 5 rounds.

Long range fun = AICS 10 rounder.

A little of both or jack of all trades = AICS.

A little of both.  It doesn't serve a specific function.  I've been leaning toward AICS except for the cost factor.  Then again, if I go factory DBM, I can get a 10rnd mag later, it will just be Savage proprietary. 

Chris

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 01:30:12 PM »
I would do the AICS just for the versatility of 5 or 10 rounders plus the mags are a little cheaper.  Just my sort of solicited 2 cents worth.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 01:39:42 PM »
I like the idea of extra capacity in the gun.  Mossberg has a 308 bolt gun that takes DPMS pattern AR10 mags.  I don't know much about it, but it looked interesting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »
AI DBM. Send the stock to CDI and have them inlet it.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »
AI DBM. Send the stock to CDI and have them inlet it.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

That was one of the options I was considering, but it's quite expensive.  $210 for the metal and inletting, $40-odd for a magazine, shipping there and back.  It'll be over $300.

The factory bottom metal and a Dark Angel 10rnd magazine would be $150 and give me two mags (one 4rnd, one 10rnd).

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 12:09:44 AM »
Sell the rifle as it, buy a heavy barrel Remington 700.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:22 AM »
Sell the rifle as it, buy a heavy barrel Remington 700.

They don't make one with iron sights.  Irons and a shortish barrel were the two ironclad requirements.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »
Although the AICS mags are more expensive, they are probably better mags and are certainly more available.  You'll be able to find more used AICS mags than new Savage mags I bet.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 08:31:07 AM »
They don't make one with iron sights.  Irons and a shortish barrel were the two ironclad requirements.

Chris

Charby was on yhe right track, stick with savage, as in Savage Scout ;)
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »
Although the AICS mags are more expensive, they are probably better mags and are certainly more available.  You'll be able to find more used AICS mags than new Savage mags I bet.

Actually the AICS-pattern mags from Magpul are cheaper than the Savage factory mags or the Dark Angel modified mags (which, btw, get good reviews).  It's the very significant increase in cost for the bottom metal that makes the difference.  I'm just not sure I'll need so many mags that mag price is a factor.

Charby was on yhe right track, stick with savage, as in Savage Scout ;)

The Scout is not all that different than the Hog Hunter.  The Accustock is the main difference (I can close the gap by glass bedding the HH in the walnut stock).  My Hog Hunter already has a receiver-mounted peep sight.  Both are built on the Model 11 action.  The Scout barrel is shorter, but the overall is the same length and is heavier.  The Scout is $800.  I have less than $400 into my Hog Hunter already (rifle+rear peep+"new" stock).  Even if I go for the CDI bottom metal, the total investment will be less than the Scout.

Why buy the Scout again? 

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:46 AM »
I forgot Magpul was making those now.  The only Dark Angel I am familiar with is the medical training company, so I can't comment on their mags.

Do you have any desire to get into long range shooting?  If yes, go with AICS pattern mags because those will be useable on a variety of long-range rifles.

If you can't see yourself getting another .308 rifle that needs mags, then the Savage gear should be plenty good enough for you and you'll save money.

Have you checked out the SavageShooters forum?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »
I'm a tard, it's DarkEagle, not DarkAngel. ;/

No interest in long range shooting with this gun.  It won't be getting a scope.  I have two other scoped rifles if I want to play sniper.  This is just a glorified plinker that may be pressed into service hunting when the mood strikes.  I'm only going with a DBM because the factory blind mag is so miserable to load through the ejection port.

Yes, I've been haunting SavageShooters for a while. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Bumpety Bump.  It's been about 6 months and the gun has undergone quite a few changes.  I got the stock, which required some inlet work to get the action and bottom metal bedded properly.  Nothing major, just some tweaking to accomodate the minor changes in the Savage 10 action over the years.  I was putting off spending $100 on the DarkEagle 10rnd mag when Savage made available their factory 10rnd mags for their Scout rifle.  I snapped one of those up for $60 and this is the result:

It needs work still.  The front sight is too tall, placing my shots low.  I'm almost out of adjustment on the rear peep.  I want to keep the front sight because it's a PITA to change and the height will be useful for a silencer.  If Williams doesn't make a taller base for the rear peep, I'll fabricate something.

I like this gun a lot.  It's fun and I can take it out to the range without feeling I have to achieve some arbitrary goal.  Today, I shot it with loads ranging from 120gr cast handgun bullets on top of some Trailboss powder to 200gr bullets running nearly 2500fps (and all sorts in between).  Without a scope, I felt no need to measurebate and just enjoyed busting shotgun clays at the 100yd berm.

[ar15]

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »
Sweet. I have always liked that SMLE look: bolt gun w/ wooden furniture, and protruding magazine box.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 11:32:36 PM »
Sweet. I have always liked that SMLE look: bolt gun w/ wooden furniture, and protruding magazine box.
#oldschooltactical
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama