Author Topic: Girls and brown people are dumb - it's science  (Read 2268 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Girls and brown people are dumb - it's science
« on: October 03, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »

http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/29/feminist-phd-candidate-science-sexist-not-subjective/

Initial exploration of the STEM syllabi in this study did not reveal overt references to gender, such as through the use of gendered pronouns. However, upon deeper review, language used in the syllabi reflects institutionalized STEM teaching practices and views about knowledge that are inherently discriminatory to women and minorities by promoting a view of knowledge as static and unchanging, a view of teaching that promotes the idea of a passive student, and by promoting a chilly climate that marginalizes women.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Girls and brown people are dumb - it's science
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:57:11 AM »
Just another example of the absolute insanity that post modernism has born.

Cultural Marxism, nihilism and the rest of the post Christian philosophies taken to their natural conclusions are basically mental illness.

I read "Escape from Reason" by  Francis Schaeffer back in college and depressingly have seen the philosophical trend it critiques become the dominate philosophy of our culture. It's madness.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aescape+from+reason+schaeffer&keywords=escape+from+reason+schaeffer&ie=UTF8&qid=1475503098

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »
Well, I'm feeling dumber for even having read the excerpts quoted in the article.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Well, I'm feeling dumber for even having read the excerpts quoted in the article.

Which might, I think, be the intended outcome.  =|

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:17:03 PM »
So she got to this point of view by reviewing 8 syllabi?  Isn't that a rather small sample size?  No mention of her taking the classes that I see.

"static and unchanging"?  That rather depends on the class, doesn't it?  Hate to say it, but physics below the 200 level hasn't changed much in the last hundred years or so, and lots within it for far longer.

Hell, she should have looked at math.  I haven't done any math that's changed significantly in the last 400!

Passive student?  Science courses have the most labs, where you have to be very active.  How'd she come to this conclusion, and is she aware that boys tend to prosper MORE in active classes, it's the women who can tolerate being "passive"? 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
So she got to this point of view by reviewing 8 syllabi?  Isn't that a rather small sample size?  No mention of her taking the classes that I see.

"static and unchanging"?  That rather depends on the class, doesn't it?  Hate to say it, but physics below the 200 level hasn't changed much in the last hundred years or so, and lots within it for far longer.

Hell, she should have looked at math.  I haven't done any math that's changed significantly in the last 400!

Passive student?  Science courses have the most labs, where you have to be very active.  How'd she come to this conclusion, and is she aware that boys tend to prosper MORE in active classes, it's the women who can tolerate being "passive"? 

Don't trouble her pretty little head with toxically masculine "facts." 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »

Clearly, math is the subject of white males everywhere.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »

For everyone about to rage out, this was a doctoral candidate at the University of North Dakota. Not a study, not anything other than essentially an opinion paper. Granted, it's disturbing that this came from a "education department" student. That said, the dissertation could be rejected with basically "you are a moron, switch majors to sociology".

Blame an incredibly stupid student for her OWN individual opinion. Not everyone else that had nothing to do said paper.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
For everyone about to rage out, this was a doctoral candidate at the University of North Dakota. Not a study, not anything other than essentially an opinion paper. Granted, it's disturbing that this came from a "education department" student. That said, the dissertation could be rejected with basically "you are a moron, switch majors to sociology".

Blame an incredibly stupid student for her OWN individual opinion. Not everyone else that had nothing to do said paper.

If there is a department with lower standards than sociology for initial student entry...and then adherence to empirical evidence over political narrative, it is the education department.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »

You are creating a chilly climate for my rage, but it will put on a cardigan, and turn on its space heater.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
That said, the dissertation could be rejected with basically "you are a moron, switch majors to sociology".

Probably already switched majors due to flunking out of the sociology program.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
For everyone about to rage out, this was a doctoral candidate at the University of North Dakota. Not a study, not anything other than essentially an opinion paper. Granted, it's disturbing completely unsurprising that this came from a "education department" student.

FTFY.

Education departments are the realm of the dumbest people in college. And yes, they rank below sociology and sports management majors.*

*Edit: Apparently that was a bit of hyperbole. Education majors do beat out "Leisure Studies" "Agriculture" "Construction trades" and <giggle> "Public Administration". 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »

You are creating a chilly climate for my rage, but it will put on a cardigan, and turn on its space heater.

Your rage should heat any space it's in quite nicely, sans sweaters or space heaters....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »
Quote from: RevDisk
That said, the dissertation could be rejected with basically "you are a moron, switch majors to sociology".

Probably already switched majors due to flunking out of the sociology program.

The way many universities seem to be operating these days, she probably not only got her Ph.D., she was also probably offered a tenure track teaching position.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 09:44:20 PM »
Those that can't, teach?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
And where did she get all those nutty ideas? She's regurgitating the goofy *expletive deleted*it she has been taught over the years.

She isn't challenging the system, she is stroking it, telling it what it wants to hear so she can get her PHD.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »
And where did she get all those nutty ideas? She's regurgitating the goofy *expletive deleted*it she has been taught over the years.

She isn't challenging the system, she is stroking it, telling it what it wants to hear so she can get her PHD.

Honestly, the smartest thing to do. Professors are people and vary. The hard science folk generally are alright and there's not a lot of room to screw you on the subjective parts. Soft science or non-science subjects? Just agree with whatever the professor says. College is hideously expensive. Standing up for your opinion is a potentially good way of blowing a couple grand. In my case, it was enough for a prof to find out I was in the military to go from straight A's to straight F's.

Not saying that is the case, but if my dissertation board were a bunch of non-science professors to the left of Lenin? And my post-doc education costs tens of thousands of dollars? You damn right I would be saying I identify sexually as an Apache attack helicopter, mayonnaise is a valid gender and science is mean because it uses logic and reason.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »

This.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 10:31:02 AM »
I identify sexually as an Apache attack helicopter, mayonnaise is a valid gender and science is mean because it uses logic and reason.

:lol:

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »
I identify sexually as an Apache attack helicopter, mayonnaise is a valid gender and science is mean because it uses logic and reason.

<Note to self: setup inescapable Casper-isolation-cube for Rev's visit this weekend>

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »

Gee, thanks for the selective quoting.   :rofl:

<Note to self: setup inescapable Casper-isolation-cube for Rev's visit this weekend>

One of the highest honors of my life, on par with the quote in my sig, is when guards at a maximum security prison told me, with dead seriousness, that they would keep me drugged 24/7 in a padded room if I ever visited their facility under other circumstances. I think it was over the sequential incidents at NATO regional headquarters. But could have been... uh, other considerations... 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 02:33:12 PM »
I've had a revelation. (I'm sure I'm just coming to it more slowly than to some of you, though.)

These leftists have realized that we live in a truly equal society (or at least as close as you can get) where every person, regardless of gender or race, has equal opportunity for advancement based on their own talents and skills.

The will never say that is the case, but they know it to be true.

I can say this because the OP's type of rationalization (Science, logic, evidence, is RACIST and SEXIST!) is necessary for these people to explain why certain professions and industries have a greater prevalence (or absence) of one sex or race only if it is not due to "you are racistly oppressingly discriminatingly against <black people, brown people, women, etc...>

I realize not all leftists have given up the "WE LIVE IN THE WORSTEST, MOST RASISTIST SOCIETY IN TEH HISTORY OF TEH WORLD, PRECIOUS!!!" but those who are pushing the "logic is racist" theory must have realized that personal racism must be all but dead.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 04:16:39 PM »
Rebels without a cause must find a cause.......................... so they redefine the problem so the former cause is still valid (in their own minds).  Finding another cause would be too much work.

And lots of people's eye gloss over at all the technical talk and just assume the educated (theoretically) person must know something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
Next, she needs to support her thesis with a study showing that subjective approaches lead to better, more usable results than do objective approaches. I am willing to accept the word of my MBA, PhD in engineering, statistics teaching wife as to whether she succeeds in proving her case.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
Next, she needs to support her thesis with a study showing that subjective approaches lead to better, more usable results than do objective approaches. I am willing to accept the word of my MBA, PhD in engineering, statistics teaching wife as to whether she succeeds in proving her case.

What a deplorable suggestion.  :O