Author Topic: You've Been Served (Tweeted)!  (Read 1019 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
You've Been Served (Tweeted)!
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:19:01 AM »
I'm interested in the legal ramifications of this. I understand (I think) the judge's ruling in this international case. It kind of raises my hackles though, for domestic use. Seems like a slippery slope that assumes everyone is (or should be) on social media. Even if you are, do you then have some obligation to check your accounts for notices of legal action every "X' amount of time?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/10/07/judge-allows-lawsuit-to-be-served-by-tweet.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: You've Been Served (Tweeted)!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »
I had a similar reaction, but I think part of it was that the guy was particularly active on it, not just that he had an account.

Another issue: how do you know that the person you are trying to reach is the one actually using the account?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 09:52:12 AM »
Another issue: how do you know that the person you are trying to reach is the one actually using the account?

Excellent point.

In her Sept. 30 ruling, US Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler wrote she agreed to the unorthodox method because "service via Twitter is reasonably calculated to give notice and is not prohibited by international agreement."

I don't understand how anyone can reasonably conclude that a Twitter post is "reasonably calculated" to give notice of anything. This isn't a slippery slope -- it's a cliff, and IMHO the judge just fell off.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »
What is a Tweet? :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw