Author Topic: How are Rockport walking shoes?  (Read 7651 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
How are Rockport walking shoes?
« on: October 17, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
I only wear gym shoes at the gym, and wouldn't wear them walking around in public. I'll be going to Sicily in a few months, where I'll be walking 7 to 10 miles a day.

I want some shoes that will be comfortable while looking good enough that I can wear them at a nice restaurant. Rockport has some models that seem to fit those requirements without costing $300.

Does anyone have experience with Rockport?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: How are Rockport walking shoes?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 02:50:44 PM »
I only wear gym shoes at the gym, and wouldn't wear them walking around in public. I'll be going to Sicily in a few months, where I'll be walking 7 to 10 miles a day.

I want some shoes that will be comfortable while looking good enough that I can wear them at a nice restaurant. Rockport has some models that seem to fit those requirements without costing $300.

Does anyone have experience with Rockport?

Back in the 90s my dad wore nothing but Rockports when he was on his feet all day. No idea if they are still made in USA or not.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 04:57:07 PM »
I wore Rockport Pro Walker shoes for decades - the last ones I bought were still made in China.

Now Rockport has been through a number of sales, buyouts, and reorganizations, and I recently found out that line of shoes is now made in Vietnam.

Quality is down.

Sharply down. Not just workmanship but materials have changed - and not for the better. I doubt they're even using the same lasts to make the shoes.

What was once my favorite shoe no longer fits my feet properly and is no longer comfortable. Of course YMMV, but I STRONGLY advise against buying them mail order - try them on in person.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »
I currently have the Pro Walker and agree with HankB, the quality is not there.  Have you looked at Red Wing? 

http://www.redwingshoes.com/footwear/filter-Athletic,m
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 05:23:01 PM »
Keens.  You might consider them fugly though.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/anchor-park-wp

I have wide feet and Keens fit me well, plus they make darn good hiking boots.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:26:12 PM »
I also have wide feet and my feet have been getting picky in their old age. For a casual to semi-dressy shoe/chukka, I like Timberlands. Though as with other maunfacturers, they can be hit and miss. I did by one pair some years ago that I thought would be comfortable but weren't.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 11:18:36 PM »
I looked at Timberland and Red Wing, and what I saw looked more like work or hiking boots than walking shoes. A review I read had good things to say about Clark. If anyone has any experience with them...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 11:24:21 PM »
Timberland has all kinds of casual to dressy shoes:

https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-shoes
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »
I like my Clark's Darby Limit GTX oxfords as dress shoes.  Comfortable, durable, non-slip and weather resistant for Seattle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:11:56 AM »
Can highly recommend Ecco
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:35:57 PM »
$$$$

Try on a pair and order online - they aren't much more expensive than the other options in this thread that way
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:50 PM »
A family friend worked in the flower business,  and walked 5-6 miles a day between greenhouses, the offices, and all of the other places.  He swore by Rocky boots and shoes. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 10:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the endorsements for Ecco and Rockport. You're right, DeSelby, Ecco isn't that expensive.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 11:33:41 PM »
You're right, DeSelby

Quote of the day - thanks for the sig line material!

http://us.shop.ecco.com/helsinki-bike-toe-tie-050104.html?dwvar_050104_color=00101#cgid=men-classics

BTW, I'm in your camp on shoes.  If I'm not exercising it's generally boots for me (I use RM Williams)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 11:38:48 PM »
Can highly recommend Ecco

Yup. I've got a pair of Ecco shoes that I bought about 5 years ago and they became my daily wear... maybe a year after. They still look great and the sole has still held up. Cost me about $100.
Something like this, http://us.shop.ecco.com/rugged-track-gtx-moc-tie-838004.html?dwvar_838004_color=02178
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »
Quote of the day - thanks for the sig line material!

:D

De Selby

• friend

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »
I had several pairs, always found them to be very slippery on some floor surfaces.  I switched to Sketchers.  Thay have been more comfortable.