Author Topic: What Trump should do now that we're in the home stretch.  (Read 5623 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
What Trump should do now that we're in the home stretch.
« on: October 24, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »
Okay, he laid out his pledge in Gettysburg.  He needs to keep hitting that .

"Look, we all know Hillary is a liar and a crook, but here's what I'm going to do when you elect me.    First, I'm going to....."

And just keep hammering the different points of his pledge.   Pick one and two and go into detail about each one and why "They Are Good For All Americans" at each different stop. Pick the points that relevant to wherever he is that day.

Yes, even though I don't care for him, and voted for James Mattis, the thought of a Hillary presidency scares the crap out of me. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: What Trump should do now that we're in the home stretch.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »
I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding what most everyone wants him to do. He has some great policies, but he keeps digressing to reality TV star stuff. Certainly the media is partially to blame for that, but he should know by now that "I'm suing all these women when I become president" is going to take the headlines from some pretty excellent economic policies that he laid out.

He is way too easily goaded. If he would for once listen to his advisors, stay off the Twitter at 0300, and just focus on his plan for the remaining days, he'll give the media little material to work with.

Also Clinton thinking she has this in the bag may help. Plus there could be new Clinton bunker busters to drop, though they may not get any media play.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
I still think he should buy airtime to get out this meeage, since Fox is the only news outlet reporting what he's saying.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
He is way too easily goaded. If he would for once listen to his advisors, stay off the Twitter at 0300, and just focus on his plan for the remaining days, he'll give the media little material to work with.

This.  Politics is rough and tumble.  They smile to your face, while they stick the knife in your back.   He takes every little comment as a personal insult that requires he answer and reply.  Just ignore them.

Also Clinton thinking she has this in the bag may help. Plus there could be new Clinton bunker busters to drop, though they may not get any media play.

Assange has said he has more.  I'm waiting for the Hillary E-mails to and from Obama on her private server to hit.  

But no matter what they are, i know there will be more....

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »
I think you can't ignore the attacks completely.  But I think it is best to turn each counterattack back into a pitch for your plan.  Highlight her negatives (dishonesty and corruption) and emphasize his plan to fix whatever the issue is.  If he does step in the gutter to attack, step back out and steer the conversation back to his plan.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 03:34:39 PM »
Yes, even though I don't care for him, and voted for James Mattis, the thought of a Hillary presidency scares the crap out of me. 

I am not picking on you, but I thought this last bit illustrative of the condition of our polity.

It looks like we are seeking a Caesar to right this increasingly fractious failed multi-ethnic republic turned quasi-empire.  

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
I am not picking on you, but I thought this last bit illustrative of the condition of our polity.

It looks like we are seeking a Caesar to right this increasingly fractious failed multi-ethnic republic turned quasi-empire.  

Well, the silver lining is that as trite and over-used as Rome analogies are, they lasted about 482 years as a republic, and as an empire for another 422. (1,480 years if you count the Eastern/Byzantine empire...)

So if this is indeed the "turning point"... while our institutions become paper tigers, and the occasional person just up and disappears in the night, at least we've got maybe another 200 years or so where the lights are on, the TV works, and there's food at the supermarkets.

After that, it's Lord Humungus, Mohawks on motorcycles, and Tina Turner in chain mail etc.
I promise not to duck.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 05:57:17 PM »
I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding what most everyone wants him to do. He has some great policies, but he keeps digressing to reality TV star stuff. Certainly the media is partially to blame for that, but he should know by now that "I'm suing all these women when I become president" is going to take the headlines from some pretty excellent economic policies that he laid out.

Imagine being his campaign manager. Geeze.

If he was able to control himself that he would've done it the second he won the primaries, but it's clear he can't. Totally outside of his policies, that's been his biggest flaw to moderates--his lack of self control. Why would he be able to reign himself in any better if he won? It would be like having Rodrigo Duterte in the Philippines, or Silvio Berlusconi in Italy. Even if you agree with what they say, it's scary.

One of the disadvantages of not being a politician is, surprise, you're not good at politics.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
What should he do?  Kill himself and let us vote for Pence.   ;/

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 01:56:50 PM »
What should he do?  Kill himself and let us vote for Pence.   ;/

Sadly, Pence doesn't have any scrote.  He proved that when the amoral business interests made noise when Indiana's legislature was to pass a religious freedom act and Pence showed his lack of guts. 

Trump may be a lech from NYC, but at least he fights.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
Sadly, Pence doesn't have any scrote.  He proved that when the amoral business interests made noise when Indiana's legislature was to pass a religious freedom act and Pence showed his lack of guts. 

Ummmmm. you clearly don't know anything about him.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »

Ok, you are right, he should shoot Pence, then himself, and let us vote for Cruz.  Thanks.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »
Ummmmm. you clearly don't know anything about him.

Pence threw the RFRA and socons under the bus due to his lilly-livered nature.  Whatever he claims his beliefs are, he buckled and showed he hasn't any guts.

“The view shared by many in my camp is, Mike Pence really destroyed his reputation among social conservatives in Indiana over his fecklessness on the religious freedom bill,” said one evangelical activist currently involved in Republican races. “Because of that, there’s not going to be much enthusiasm for his placement on the ticket among evangelical social conservatives.”

In the eyes of its supporters, Pence’s initial RFRA measure was meant to protect individuals from government mandates that could encroach on their free expression of religion. He tapped into an issue that resonated deeply with a religious community that feels that that right is under assault in an era of contraception mandates and wide and growing acceptance of same-sex marriage.

But the bill immediately sparked broad and vocal opposition from business leaders and the LGBT community amid concerns that the measure would allow businesses to discriminate against gay individuals.

Under pressure, and following a disastrous interview on ABC in which Pence struggled to answer questions about whether the bill was discriminatory, he agreed to a legislative fix that made clear that businesses couldn’t discriminate against people on the basis of, among other things, sexual orientation. But that, in turn, enraged social conservatives who felt that the protections they wanted were gone again.

Right now, a thousand keyboards are clacking as political reporters churn out stories saying in so many words that the selection of Pence will likely help reassure Republicans who have their doubts about Trump’s understanding of and commitment to conservative principles.

Don’t believe any of them. Recall that last year, Indiana passed a state religious freedom restoration act (RFRA), which was the state version of existing federal legislation that passed Congress and was signed into President Bill Clinton with overwhelming bipartisan support. (John McCormack has an explainer of the legislation here.) Though the Indiana law is not in conflict with other LGBT protections, it was decried as an act of bigotry. Journalists started fishing for villains, settling on the religious owners of an Indiana pizza parlor who said they would not (hypothetically) want to cater a gay wedding. Companies such as Apple and Ebay, which have no problem doing business in bastions of enlightened attitudes on gays as Saudi Arabia and Indonesia, threatened to boycott Indiana. (Curiously, they have not also threatened to boycott the existing 21 states with RFRAs.)

Once it became clear that Pence was going to have to make a stand on religious freedom, he folded. Indiana’s religious freedom law was gutted at Pence’s direction within a week of it being passed.

When I give talks about the Benedict Option, I tell people that the signal event was not Obergefell, but the Indiana RFRA debacle a couple of months earlier. That was when Big Business took sides in the culture war in a very big way — and did so against social conservatives, who lost massively.

A reader sends in this Politico piece about how the RFRA loss shattered the GOP coalition in the Hoosier State. The hook? Ted Cruz’s failure to connect with locals regarding his socially conservative message.

Pence may say the right things on some issues, but he has no fight in him.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
Re:
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
Specifically what woulda satisfied the evangelicals?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/04/02/gov-pence-signs-revised-indiana-religious-freedom-bill-into-law/?utm_term=.c91db2a5c888

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Not backing down.  Not calling for a re-write of the RFRA he first signed.  Standing up to the amoral donor class and the disgusting gaystapo.  Having a pair.  Telling Tim Cook & Co to pound sand an screw a ladyboy in Thailand.  And so on & so forth.

"Oh, why are all those socons supporting Trump?  Don't they know he won't stand up for socially conservative issues?" 

Well, neither do the GOP socons. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
Standing up next to a law that was poorly written woukd make em happy? And when SCOTUS knocked it down what woukd be accomplished?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 09:03:59 PM »
Standing up next to a law that was poorly written woukd make em happy? And when SCOTUS knocked it down what woukd be accomplished?

The law was in line with other states' rfra as well as the federal rfra sugned by bill clinton.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »
WRT the thread title,  Trump should just cut the check for whatever Cali is trying to jack those Guard guys out of.  Instant karma.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 02:13:45 AM »
WRT the thread title,  Trump should just cut the check for whatever Cali is trying to jack those Guard guys out of.  Instant karma.

The Pentagon would take his money, and then still try to screw the Guardsmen out of the money too.  Because the point is not really to recover the money (they don't care about the money) it's to screw the soldiers so nobody ever accepts a signing bonus again.  I'm not sure what the end-game is, but Obama and his top brass are doing their damnedest to destroy morale in the military and cripple our preparedness.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
What Trump should do now that we're in the home stretch.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 05:43:39 AM »
The law was in line with other states' rfra as well as the federal rfra sugned by bill clinton.
And boeme v Flores in 97 settled that

Or is it your contention that a state law would fly for some reason where the fed flopped
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 10:46:46 AM »

That would be a Uuuuugggggggeeeee PR move.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »
That would be a Uuuuugggggggeeeee PR move.

Hahah, yup.  Media would have an awful hard time spinning that negatively.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 08:29:04 AM »

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 09:00:03 AM »
And once again he moves he shoots and a brick
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/29/trump-booted-a-black-man-from-his-rally-and-called-him-a-thug-turns-out-he-is-a-supporter/

How're those polls looking?  A week to go and it's what, 2 point spread on average?

The election has been on a razor thin margin since Trump won the nomination.

It's going to be the luck of who gets out of bed next Tuesday.  Not some pipe dream that an article is going to sink trump or an email is going to sink Clinton.

The people who are voting for him aren't voting personal values and qualities, they're voting issues.  This is what the greatly overrated analysts keep missing.  Americans are getting tired of voting for someone with the time magazine approved bio only to be shafted with the same poor economic policies as the last guy.  An orgy video involving his relatives wouldn't sink him - his voters aren't voting for his dating style.

Trump isn't beholden to parties or the media, so he can grab the low hanging fruit of policies that speaks to those people.  I'm sure Clinton would love to capture that same ground, but then it'd be Clinton versus Trump instead of Goldman Sachs and everyone who'd leave moms funeral to be at a gs party vs Trump.  And that would be a real landslide.

If Clinton weren't backed by the wealthiest media and campaign machine in the history of the world she'd be sitting next to Jeb Bush on the next flight to retirement.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 10:19:04 AM »