Author Topic: Letting the Supreme Court die.  (Read 2309 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Letting the Supreme Court die.
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »
http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/26/senate-refuse-confirm-hillary-clintons-judicial-nominees/

As a matter of constitutional law, the Senate is fully within its powers to let the Supreme Court die out, literally. I’m not sure such a position is politically tenable—barring some extraordinary circumstance like overwhelming public opinion against the legitimacy of the sitting president—but it’s definitely constitutional....

So when you get past the gotcha headlines, breathless reportage, and Inauguration Day, if Hillary Clinton is president it would be completely decent, honorable, and in keeping with the Senate’s constitutional duty to vote against essentially every judicial nominee she names.

The Party of Never. I like the sound of that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Letting the Supreme Court die.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »
This is an acceptable outcome to me. My chief beef with this election is that the entire government is illegitimate and corrupt. Not because of the fact that Clinton committed crimes, but the fact that the DOJ was so clearly complicit in covering it up. Simply put, voting is consent, and I don't want to give my consent (although I may not refuse).

So if the GOP wants to maintain the excruciating letter of the law, and refuse to make appointments, that would be an acceptable way of invalidating the results of the election.

Odds of it happening are 0.000%.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article110751582.html
Justice Clarence Thomas: ‘We are destroying our institutions’
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/10/26/clarence-thomas-supreme-court/92799602/
Justice Clarence Thomas: Nation's capital is 'broken'
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
It would be constitutional if they voted down anybody that the president nominates, even if it's every nominee.  If they just never voted that would look bad politically and, at least in my layman's view, be wrong.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »
This makes for a fun little fantasy, but it will never happen.  While we have all been agonizing over the presidential election, we have missed the fact that the Senate is likely to slide back into Democrat control this go around.  Say hello to Harry Reid as Majority Leader.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »
... we have missed the fact that the Senate is likely to slide back into Democrat control this go around.  Say hello to Harry Reid as Majority Leader.

. . . and a rubber stamp for whomever Hillary nominates for SCOTUS.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 06:21:40 PM »
I find myself wishing for the SMOD to strike DC when every swing Richard is in town so we can start over with a clean slate at this point.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:11:40 AM »
This makes for a fun little fantasy, but it will never happen.  While we have all been agonizing over the presidential election, we have missed the fact that the Senate is likely to slide back into Democrat control this go around.  Say hello to Harry Reid as Majority Leader.

Won't it be Schumer?  I though Reid was retiring/not running.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 06:20:03 AM »
Won't it be Schumer?  I though Reid was retiring/not running.

It will be even more funner with Schumer.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 08:26:34 AM »
Been watching the show Designated Survivor and it is an interesting concept.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
Been watching the show Designated Survivor and it is an interesting concept.

Gave me some pleasant dreams.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »
Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

The POTUS can fill judicial vacancies when Congress is not in session. Theoretically there is nothing stopping the POTUS from putting the same person in the same vacancy on a yearly basis.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »
. . . and a rubber stamp for whomever Hillary nominates for SCOTUS.

And I'm fearing the next AWB to be introduced, at a minimum.  At least until SCOTUS has been packed and they can get someone to vote that 2A gives states the right to have a National Guard, and conveys no individual right to own a firearm.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

The POTUS can fill judicial vacancies when Congress is not in session. Theoretically there is nothing stopping the POTUS from putting the same person in the same vacancy on a yearly basis.
I think that only lasts until the Senate actually votes down the appointment ( at least that is what I thought). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »
And I'm fearing the next AWB to be introduced, at a minimum.  At least until SCOTUS has been packed and they can get someone to vote that 2A gives states the right to have a National Guard, and conveys no individual right to own a firearm.

Were HRC to be elected, kiss the 1st & 2nd Amendments buh-bye!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »
When Were HRC to be is elected, kiss the 1st & 2nd Amendments buh-bye!

Fixed.