Author Topic: Weird or obscure guns from major manufacturers.  (Read 5318 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Weird or obscure guns from major manufacturers.
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 05:56:47 AM »
Whoops. I see you found the Taffin article yourself.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 03:28:30 AM »
Whoops. I see you found the Taffin article yourself.

My Google-fu is strong. I just had never heard of it to know to go lookin for it! I discovered the 9mm WinMag back when all the 9mm Largo's were just becoming popular and brass wasn't yet readily available from Starline. I found you could cut down 9mm WinMag to make it and that WAS available. Once I knew the round and a gun to shoot it I went on the hunt and acquired mine.

I've always had a thing for the "non-standard" stuff starting with .303 Enfield Wire folder and a P-14 then 8mm semi autos like the Hakim and the FN-49 followed by Largo pistol variants and Destroyer carbines and finally the 9mm WinMag.

The .303 I bought from the Chief diver when I was in the Navy.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 05:04:14 AM »
IHMSA or NRA metallic silhouette? Within the former organization, there was a LOT of politicking behind the scenes with alleged kickbacks and sweetheart deals to the organization's founders to get some guns allowed, and others disallowed. Much rewriting of rules when the "wrong" guns began to win matches, even going so far as to include date of manufacture. Rules were sometimes revised and enforced in direct contravention to the organization's own rules about rule changes.

IHMSA.  I only competed in three or four matches.  After the first match, when I saw those "Factory" Buck Rogers guns coming out on top, I decided, well, I'm not going to win any trophies with my 6" Smith, so I decided to just compete against myself for my personal best.  Finally I got  generally PO'ed at the whole thing.  

It did provide an amusing anecdote, though.  In my first match, I somehow dumped one into the dirt and it ricocheted into the turkey and it rocked back and forth and twirled around a little for what seemed like forever, like the bad guy dying scene in a cheap Western movie, then sloooowly tipped over and fell.

It seemed like it took ten seconds, but of course it was only a few.  I looked at the coach/scorer and asked, "Does that count?"

"It surrendered when you fired that warning shot, so yes," and he marked it down as a hit.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:25:19 AM by 230RN »