Author Topic: Christmas Grinches  (Read 1055 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Christmas Grinches
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
It's that time of the year. SJWs and Grinches who hate Christmas can't just be quiet for a couple of lousy weeks, they have to try and ruin it for everybody. This year's big problem is the song "Baby It's Cold Outside". It's now about a Christmas rapist. This is the fourth story I've seen about it. It's also a good example of generational disconnects. The "new" lyrics are barf-worthy.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/us/baby-its-cold-outside-cover-trnd/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Christmas Grinches
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
Why do I have the funny feeling that foreplay with those two is a multipage "Sexual Encounter Consent Agreement," complete with a viewing of the "No means NO!" educational video...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFJ7ie_yGU

Well, I'd say the original is a bit rapey... Just not quiet the way they seem to think...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 02:55:03 PM »
It's that time of the year. SJWs and Grinches who hate Christmas can't just be quiet for a couple of lousy weeks, they have to try and ruin it for everybody. This year's big problem is the song "Baby It's Cold Outside". It's now about a Christmas rapist. This is the fourth story I've seen about it. It's also a good example of generational disconnects. The "new" lyrics are barf-worthy.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/us/baby-its-cold-outside-cover-trnd/

It's always been a creepy song.  And the new lyrics are stupid.  Just let it die.  (Key and Peele's version was pretty good)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »
Being an aficionado of films from the 30s and 40s (it's a song from the 40s),  I don't see it as "rapey" at all in the context of the times. If you apply modern PC interpretation of the lyrics, then Bing Crosby, Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, etc. were all "rapey". It's not just the "bah humbug" that bothers me, it's the rewriting history to be acceptable to modern political correctness.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »
Being an aficionado of films from the 30s and 40s (it's a song from the 40s),  I don't see it as "rapey" at all in the context of the times. If you apply modern PC interpretation of the lyrics, then Bing Crosby, Jimmy Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, etc. were all "rapey". It's not just the "bah humbug" that bothers me, it's the rewriting history to be acceptable to modern political correctness.

"Sir!... Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady."   :lol:

Maybe the song is okay in its original context (I don't know, I think it goes too far even for 1940's sensibilities but I wasn't there)  But when they play the song on the radio today, it is removed from its context.  Especially when artists rerecord it, I think it's fair to judge it according to mores of the time of the recording.

The Fantasticks (I think that's the one) has a problem with the use of the word "rape" and its multiple and changing definitions.  And they apologize too much for it; leave it in like it was written, or change it to something else like "abduction", and either way let the show go on.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:45:54 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 07:41:34 PM »

Well said.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
How is it about rape, when nothing really happens?

Oh, and does "what's in this drink" always mean someone's getting Bill Cosbied? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 05:39:20 AM »
How is it about rape, when nothing really happens?

Oh, and does "what's in this drink" always mean someone's getting Bill Cosbied? 

Because in today's SJW environment, even the merest suggestion of impropriety is a criminal offense.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
Because in today's SJW environment, even the merest suggestion of impropriety is a criminal offense.

Yes, that is true. We've become so much less judgmental, right?  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
I always figured the original song was just an expression of the nearly-universal "dance of romance" between potential sexual partners of most species.

"Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it,"  as in Cole Porter's "Let's fall in love."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_Do_It,_Let%27s_Fall_in_Love

The first of Porter's "list songs", it features a string of suggestive and droll comparisons and examples...

Yes, suggestive. Suggestive of that nearly-universal "dance of romance."  To imply that "Baby it's cold outside" is anything other than a poetic description of the normal course of events is kind of stretching things.  Kind of like the "hockey-stick" of extrapolation familiar to all of us.

Most females love to be wooed.  Some even like to acquiese.

Don't get me wrong.  I abhor the thought of non-consensual sex, but it's hard to deny that wooing and winning is just part of the natural process for survival of the species.

Example:
https://youtu.be/zjpj22awSYI

Woo-hoo!

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:37:53 AM by 230RN »