Poll

Overall, do you think of 2016 as being a good or bad year, or not?

2016 was awesome!
7 (22.6%)
Meh.
19 (61.3%)
2016 was awful.
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: 2016: A good year, or a bad year?  (Read 2359 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: 2016: A good year, or a bad year?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
Grandpa can't drive anymore and I believe Grandma shouldn't be.  My fear is that they are going to leave the house on an errand and somewhere along the way she will turn left instead of right or mistake the gas pedal for the brake pedal.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »
Well the hits just keep a coming.  Found out yesterday that two Soldiers from our BDE committed suicide on Monday.

One of them I knew in passing and the other I knew of.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:28:49 AM by wmenorr67 »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 10:16:34 AM »
Voted GOOD.

International
1. Brexit.
2. Rise of nationalist parties in Europe.

National
1. The Trumpening.  Oh, America is still destined to bust up in a very bloody manner (Diversity+Proximity=War, dontcha know), but Trump might put off The Great Sanguinary Sorting a few years.  Hopefully until my kids are grown and euro-americans are more awake to the coming GSS.
2. HRC lost.
3. Fracking revolution means America will not lack for energy in the near future.

Familial
1. Work is going well and folk value more the work I do.  Three cheers for employment!
2. All immediate family and most extended family healthy.
3. Kids doing well in confirmation.

Of course, there are BAD things in all categories.

International
1. China getting friskier.
2. The entirety of BHO's dumbass foreign policy and its knock-on effects.

National
1. HRC almost won POTUS.
2. Still more immiscible migrants flooding the country.
3. More anarcho-tyranny.  Getting tired of seeing BLM and "youths" of duskier hues getting away with violence & property crime while middle class white folks get hammered for infractions against the Bureaucratic State.

Familial
1. Our dog, Misty, is accelerating her downward slide, health-wise.  Her fatty tumor surgery was successful, but it has led to bladder control issues.  And she is getting what I call "doggie dementia" or my wife calls "dogzheimers."  (Black humor: better than no humor at all.)  One or the other could be managed, but both--together--are a doozie.  I had thought her demise would be something along the lines of not waking up in the AM or a terminal diagnosis leading to the Big Shot.  Administering the Big Shot on a pet with non-terminal illnesses is going to be difficult, even if necessary.  The end game will play out in 2017, though, so it has lesser impact on 2016.
2. Despite some pay bumps, I am still losing ground vs real inflation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
It's finally here! Dave Barry reviews "the worst year ever."

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article51119880.html

Are we saying it was worse than, for example, 1347, the year when the Bubonic Plague killed a large part of humanity?

Yes, we are saying that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:39:52 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »
Well, according to this article on Charby's facespace page, anyone who says that 2016 was a bad year is a whiney little poo poo head...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2016/07/is_2016_the_worst_year_in_history.html

Apparently the correct answer is 1348.

Yeah, my best friend and his entire family were wiped out when a plague rat bit them all. I'll never get over that....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »
A small improvement to 2016 in my world...

My dad was trying out the first iteration of his artificial leg (really more of a shin, ankle, and foot assembly) and could not only reach a standing position with much greater ease, he was able to take his first steps in 9 months.  He's a long way away from walking around on his own, but will at least have enough mobility to not spend his entire day moving from one seated position to another.  He sounded as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning when he gave me the news today.  It'll be a while before he comes home with the device, but just knowing it means a near immediate improvement in his quality of life was a huge morale booster.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife