Author Topic: How good is the US at war?  (Read 2444 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
How good is the US at war?
« on: December 26, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States

About 85% victory rate. Though the peace tends to be much more difficult.

Total of 101 conflicts.

victory - 86, Stalemate - 2, indecisive - 6, Defeat - 4, ongoing - 3. Pretty much same as percentages. Though our post-WW2 record isn't looking as hot.

In case you were ever curious.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: How good is the US at war?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 04:46:48 PM »
Uhm...

The Whiskey Rebellion was a WAR?

*expletive deleted*ing REALLY?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 04:48:40 PM »
John Brown's raid on the Harper's Ferry armory is classified as a freaking WAR?

WTF are these idiots thinking?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
Didn't include the War on Drugs? Morons.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
Where's the Kent State war?

Jesus, that list makes my teeth hurt.

Fucktardic.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
I'm with Mike, the list is kind of funny.

That said, of late, I'd say it's a toss up. We're pretty good at fighting. We're also pretty damn good at handcuffing the military with politics.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »
You know. I for one am kind of sick and tired of the we lost the Vietnam War BS. We won every major battle and forced the North Vietnamese to sign an armistice. Then North Vietnam invaded after we pulled out troops based on the agreement. You can debated whether we should have held up our side with South Vietnam and re-engaged or not. However the fact remains we did force the North Vietnamese to agree to the armistice.

Also it should be pointed out that both Vietnam and Korea had political limitations to prosecuting the war properly. The same can be said for the very end of the European Theater during WW2 when we probably shouldn't have held to let Russia take Berlin and Eastern Europe.

In addition whether we should have gotten into the current mess in Iraq or Afghanistan can be debated; however the problem there is the mistake we have been making since WW2. Countries that have been at war or oppressed so long need to be sat on for awhile to insure a stable government develops. Europe had wars every other decade for thousands of years as did Japan/Asia until we sat on them for a couple decades after WW2.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 06:21:40 PM »
No War on Terror?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 07:16:20 PM »
John Brown's raid on the Harper's Ferry armory is classified as a freaking WAR?

WTF are these idiots thinking?

If Harper's Ferry was a war, then what about Waco and Ruby Ridge?   [popcorn] [tinfoil] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
Law enforcement. Heavy-handed law enforcement sure, but they didn't directly involve federal combat troops.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
No War on Terror?

. . . or the War on Poverty (thanks LBJ).

Don't forget the War on Women (but that's only Republicans, so I guess it doesn't count).

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »
If Harper's Ferry was a war, then what about Waco and Ruby Ridge?   [popcorn] [tinfoil] ;/

According to that list...

Victories.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 09:41:02 PM »
According to that list...

Victories.

And this is why I don't donate jack *expletive deleted*it to Wikipedia when they beg...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 06:20:29 AM »

Don't forget the War on Women (but that's only Republicans, so I guess it doesn't count).

War on Poverty? Defeat.

But that's just because the Dems haven't thrown enough money at it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 06:36:45 AM »
You know. I for one am kind of sick and tired of the we lost the Vietnam War BS. We won every major battle and forced the North Vietnamese to sign an armistice. Then North Vietnam invaded after we pulled out troops based on the agreement. You can debated whether we should have held up our side with South Vietnam and re-engaged or not. However the fact remains we did force the North Vietnamese to agree to the armistice.

Also it should be pointed out that both Vietnam and Korea had political limitations to prosecuting the war properly. The same can be said for the very end of the European Theater during WW2 when we probably shouldn't have held to let Russia take Berlin and Eastern Europe.

In addition whether we should have gotten into the current mess in Iraq or Afghanistan can be debated; however the problem there is the mistake we have been making since WW2. Countries that have been at war or oppressed so long need to be sat on for awhile to insure a stable government develops. Europe had wars every other decade for thousands of years as did Japan/Asia until we sat on them for a couple decades after WW2.

Oh, didn't you know? The US lost the Vietnam War when the Tet offensive kicked off. Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather told us we lost.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
"You know. I for one am kind of sick and tired of the we lost the Vietnam War BS."

There's your problem, Mike. You're only thinking of military performance in Vietnam.

Socially, economically, and politically, we lost the Vietnam War.

ABC/CBS told us so.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
They would be better off just calling this a list of all the times our federal troops saw action.

I wonder if these people also think the new Magnificent 7 movie was historically accurate. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 12:25:50 PM »
The discussion here reinforces my opinion that Americans have a perhaps-unrivaled talent at the creative destruction necessary for total war, and a slavish devotion to political management of those wars and ridiculous Rules of Engagement.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
"They would be better off just calling this a list of all the times our federal troops saw action."

Which means it would be even less accurate than it now is.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 01:23:49 PM »
Are they still waiting for a final result in the Ferguson War?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
"They would be better off just calling this a list of all the times our federal troops saw action."

Which means it would be even less accurate than it now is.
Well, that is pretty much what it is.  They broke the various Indian Wars up into about 30 different conflicts.  It makes some sense, but I don't see what good it does to average WWII in with various Indian fighting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 05:53:10 PM »

Go ahead and edit it in there.
Then report back with how long the edit stands.
 >:D
7-11 was a part time job.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »
The discussion here reinforces my opinion that Americans have a perhaps-unrivaled talent at the creative destruction necessary for total war, and a slavish devotion to political management of those wars and ridiculous Rules of Engagement.

"I heartily concur."  ~~~
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 10:34:44 PM »

That is brilliantly true.  The US Military, given a goal to achieve victory, is more than capable of accomplishing that goal...right up to the point when the politicians and bureaucrats start telling them when/where/how they can engage certain approved enemy combatants with certain weapons fired in certain manners in certain directions, and often by what personnel.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 12:10:50 PM »

Ahem,  Ted Kennedy has a confirmed kill in the War on Women...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.