Author Topic: How many things can you do wrong at once?  (Read 6812 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
How many things can you do wrong at once?
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »
http://abc13.com/news/mom-walks-30-hours-through-snow-to-help-family/1674468/

Leaving the relative safety of the car
Not being prepared for winter backcountry driving
Not using a backup form of navigation
Driving onto snow covered forest service roads without the ability to self rescue

I'm amused by how easily the husband ended up getting cell reception. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: How many things can you do wrong at once?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »
 [popcorn]

Did the husband even put up a fight to be the one to go "searching" for help?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »
Damn. Stories like that usually end with "Searchers are still trying to locate X," followed a couple of months later by "The body of X, who tried to walk to rescue after becoming snowbound has been located..."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »
At least she will end up with cheaper pedicure bills after this adventure!!   =|

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »
[popcorn]

Did the husband even put up a fight to be the one to go "searching" for help?

I think the conversation went like this:

"You'll have to go for help."

"I'm not the one who put the car in the ditch. Go for help yourself, wonder-woman."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »
When she ran out of food and water, she ate pine twigs and drank her urine, her sister told the Morning Call newspaper.

Insert Bear Grylls meme here.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
Insert Bear Grylls meme here.

Why? Did someone end up drinking their own pee?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 12:24:44 PM »

The silly little woman did.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »
These are either two of the stupidest people on the planet or we aren't getting the whole story. Two professors no less teaching college...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »
Darwin has been cheated.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 12:32:52 PM »
One has to feel sorry for the child in question that it has two clueless parents.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »
Arizona State Route 67, which leads to the canyon's north rim, is closed for the winter and their car's GPS detoured them through forest service roads.

She thought the nearest major highway was only a short trek away.

My bet: The GPS re-routed them and they either didn't know or didn't care why. They were very close to the closed highway, probably running more or less parallel, but didn't know it was closed.

That said the woman was incredibly stupid and lucky to be alive. Even if he had delegated her (provided she was in better shape than he) to go check out the road, they should have had a contingency plan in place for her to come back to the car.

So stupid.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »

You've all missed the most important quote in this!

Stranded on a secluded road with heavy snow falling... subsisting on twigs and her urine...

THERE WAS SNOW. SNOW IS FLUFFY FROZEN WATER. YOU CAN EAT THE SNOW IF YA NEED WATER!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »

THERE WAS SNOW. SNOW IS FLUFFY FROZEN WATER. YOU CAN EAT THE SNOW IF YA NEED WATER!

Actually if eat snow as snow you will cool your core temp quickly.  To eat snow properly, you should melt it and actually drink the water.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »

Klein knew eating snow would hasten hypothermia.

One of the few, if only smart decision she made. ;)

As prepared as she was I would bet she didn't consider taking something to make fire with her. Fire would make it too easy to stay warm and to melt snow and that would not play well in the "Made for TV Movie", we need hardship and adversity to fuel the sympathy the audience will feel for her.

Besides, the pee was already at her basal temp. ;)

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
Actually if eat snow as snow you will cool your core temp quickly.  To eat snow properly, you should melt it and actually drink the water.

and it takes a LOT of snow to make a little water.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »
and it takes a LOT of snow to make a little water.

That depends on the "fluff quotient" of the snow. [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 02:13:46 PM »
That depends on the "fluff quotient" of the snow. [tinfoil] [popcorn]

I think we should stop now before we all end up in a battle royal over fluffyness of snow vs. water quantity.

I don't know why, but this drift makes me think of the cornbread wars...  [tinfoil]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »
I think we should stop now before we all end up in a battle royal over fluffyness of snow vs. water quantity.

I don't know why, but this drift makes me think of the cornbread wars...  [tinfoil]

There is no comparison, you don't put sugar in snow to make water, unless you plan on making sweet tea with it. :)

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
There is no comparison, you don't put sugar in snow to make water, unless you plan on making sweet tea with it. :)

bob

... I think we've come close to thread lock over sweet and tea before, too.  :facepalm:

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »
A few years back, SWMBO needed to go home (near Buffalo, N.Y.) in winter, and I could not go along.  So, I packed her car for the trip.  Keep in mind, she was going to be driving major interstate highways most of the way.  Still, I packed canned food, candy, sleeping bag, water bottles, a small pot, several candles, multiple lighters and matches, shovel, orange plastic poncho, 100 feet of paracord, multi-tool, small supply of dry firewood, a folding saw, and a fixed blade knife.  This was along with the normal tool bag, jumper cables, first aid supplies, etc.  I can't imagine intentionally driving through remote areas with no survival gear.  But, I guess that's why we'll be surviving the zombies, not becoming walkers.   :laugh:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »
A few years back, SWMBO needed to go home (near Buffalo, N.Y.) in winter, and I could not go along.  So, I packed her car for the trip.  Keep in mind, she was going to be driving major interstate highways most of the way.  Still, I packed canned food, candy, sleeping bag, water bottles, a small pot, several candles, multiple lighters and matches, shovel, orange plastic poncho, 100 feet of paracord, multi-tool, small supply of dry firewood, a folding saw, and a fixed blade knife.  This was along with the normal tool bag, jumper cables, first aid supplies, etc.  I can't imagine intentionally driving through remote areas with no survival gear.  But, I guess that's why we'll be surviving the zombies, not becoming walkers.   :laugh:

I keep most of that stuff along with a lot of other stuff in my car on a daily basis and I only regularly drive about 15 miles back and forth to work. I was a Boy Scout though and took the be prepared part to extremes at times. I also have gotten stuck in snow storms for over 20 hours or so when I lived in Colorado up around Rocky Mountain National Park area.

And yes eating snow can contribute to hypothermia, but at only 30 hours in she certainly shouldn't have been at the point of needing to drink urine for one. Secondly if she had a container to contain urine then she should have been able to melt snow. Putting aside arguments about the water content of various types of snow.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
I keep most of that stuff along with a lot of other stuff in my car on a daily basis and I only regularly drive about 15 miles back and forth to work. I was a Boy Scout though and took the be prepared part to extremes at times. I also have gotten stuck in snow storms for over 20 hours or so when I lived in Colorado up around Rocky Mountain National Park area.

And yes eating snow can contribute to hypothermia, but at only 30 hours in she certainly shouldn't have been at the point of needing to drink urine for one.
Secondly if she had a container to contain urine then she should have been able to melt snow.
Putting aside arguments about the water content of various types of snow.

She just might be very flexible.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »

Snow?

Drift?

Do I detect a nascent pun?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design