Author Topic: How many things can you do wrong at once?  (Read 6823 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: How many things can you do wrong at once?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 09:37:01 PM »
A few years back, SWMBO needed to go home (near Buffalo, N.Y.) in winter, and I could not go along.  So, I packed her car for the trip.  Keep in mind, she was going to be driving major interstate highways most of the way.  Still, I packed canned food, candy, sleeping bag, water bottles, a small pot, several candles, multiple lighters and matches, shovel, orange plastic poncho, 100 feet of paracord, multi-tool, small supply of dry firewood, a folding saw, and a fixed blade knife.  This was along with the normal tool bag, jumper cables, first aid supplies, etc.  I can't imagine intentionally driving through remote areas with no survival gear.  But, I guess that's why we'll be surviving the zombies, not becoming walkers.   :laugh:

By contrast, the year after I married my late wife (in Chile) she bought a Kia Sportage here in the U.S. and had it shipped to Chile for us to use when we visited there. The car was shipped to the port of Iquique, all the way at the north end of Chile. Her family was in Santiago, which is two or three days drive from Iquique. On top of that, she wanted to detour easterly to visit an old friend, and to show me San Pedro de Atacama, a quaint little town -- in the middle of the Atacama desert. This was a vehicle entirely new to us, mind you. Before we set out from Iquique, I suggested that we should stock up with some water, oil, and a few hand tools. She wouldn't hear of it.

Naturally, the car broke down outside of San Pedro and we were stuck there for two days until we jury rigged a way to get it moving, and limped back to Iquique. It's a very good thing I don't know how to say "I told you so" in Spanish.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:10:32 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 06:42:56 AM »
Actually if eat snow as snow you will cool your core temp quickly.  To eat snow properly, you should melt it and actually drink the water.

This. Eating snow is a BAD idea. You can melt it in your mouth, but you'll be hard pressed to get enough water out of it before you drop your core temp.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 06:44:27 AM »
A few years back, SWMBO needed to go home (near Buffalo, N.Y.) in winter, and I could not go along.  So, I packed her car for the trip.  Keep in mind, she was going to be driving major interstate highways most of the way.  Still, I packed canned food, candy, sleeping bag, water bottles, a small pot, several candles, multiple lighters and matches, shovel, orange plastic poncho, 100 feet of paracord, multi-tool, small supply of dry firewood, a folding saw, and a fixed blade knife.  This was along with the normal tool bag, jumper cables, first aid supplies, etc.  I can't imagine intentionally driving through remote areas with no survival gear.  But, I guess that's why we'll be surviving the zombies, not becoming walkers.   :laugh:

Smart man. I used to keep something of a winter emergency kit in my car, but since I moved to DC metro the chances of me being stranded somewhere where I'm cut off from basic necessities for more than a few hours is very slim.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 07:08:20 AM »
it's a wonder any of them lived.  People today think the entire world is DisneyLand.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 07:49:29 AM »
It's amazing to me why people blindly follow the directions of a GPS in an automobile, especially when out exploring in the wilderness in bad weather.  There are many stories about how people have been led into the wilderness by them.  Oh, wait.  Did someone say they were college professors?

Heck, half the time when I'm travelling south in the winter and north in the spring, I'm skeptical of some of the directions given by GPS.  Fortunately, my GPS is installed in the vehicle with a map on the dashboard screen that can be zoomed in and out and moved around to check for alternate routes or to see where particular roads lead.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »
There's a reason the North Rim is closed in the winter... I'm glad these people made it out okay, but every road that leads to the North Rim clearly indicates that it's closed for the winter. If you want to see the Grand Canyon in the winter, go to the South Rim. Just follow the signs.

Winters on the plateau around the Grand Canyon are COLD - mostly due to the wind. When there is snow, it's not usually more than a couple of inches, if that much. It gets filthy fast. It is after all, still a desert.

And because it's a desert, you pack in lots of water.

Lots of things should have been done differently.... But I'm glad the family had a relatively happy ending.

I wonder if they'll come back to visit... Probably not.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 12:08:59 PM »
I always used to at least toss a good blanket in the car in the winter if we were going anywhere out of town. It really "saved" us one winter on a road trip to visit my parents when the heater core in the 66 Dodge Van plugged up while we were stuck on highway 90 in the swamps waiting for a wreck that was blocking the road to be cleared. Terri was very thankful I was "paranoid" and made sure we had some sandwiches/snacks and that blanket before we left the house that trip!

Mine was like this only orange.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
There's a reason the North Rim is closed in the winter... I'm glad these people made it out okay, but every road that leads to the North Rim clearly indicates that it's closed for the winter. If you want to see the Grand Canyon in the winter, go to the South Rim. Just follow the signs.

You wouldn't think they'd make such a big deal about which side of the ditch you go to, especially since they're too cheap to bridge it at regular intervals.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »
Mine was like this only orange.

Didja scrape off the "Free Candy" sign, or just primer over it?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 03:54:47 PM »

Actually looks like the Scooby Doo machine incognito.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re:
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »
You wouldn't think they'd make such a big deal about which side of the ditch you go to, especially since they're too cheap to bridge it at regular intervals.

This time of year you can expect enough snow to make traveling to the north rim dangerous at best.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »
Just follow the signs

7 years as a park ranger taught me that people are too *expletive deleted*ing stupid to read signs, much less follow directions, read maps, plan ahead, or any number of common sense things

But by God if the GPS tells them to do something that is the one thing the dumb *expletive deleted*s will obey.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »
7 years as a park ranger taught me that people are too *expletive deleted*ing stupid to read signs, much less follow directions, read maps, plan ahead, or any number of common sense things

But by God if the GPS tells them to do something that is the one thing the dumb *expletive deleted*s will obey.

https://vimeo.com/15390422
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »

The Mystery Machine was similar to the big 3's vans of this time period as the Chevy, Ford and Dodge vans were pretty dang similar.

66 Ford Econoline

66 Chevy Van

Mine was an Ex-phone company van IIRC. It had a heater and an add-on vent in the roof in the rear of the van. 3-on-the-tree with a 225 slant 6 engine.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 10:17:31 PM »
Speaking of 6 cyl engines.  Ford had the 300 inline 6 that was bulletproof.  I had a pickup that had that engine and had way over 200,000 miles and still going strong when I sold it.  At idle, you couldn't hear the thing running.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: How many things can you do wrong at once?
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 10:52:34 PM »
Speaking of 6 cyl engines.  Ford had the 300 inline 6 that was bulletproof.  I had a pickup that had that engine and had way over 200,000 miles and still going strong when I sold it.  At idle, you couldn't hear the thing running.
I have an 88 f250 with that motor. Let it sit for 5 years dropped in a battery and it fired right up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2016, 10:55:07 PM »
By first van, the 66 E-100 Ford, had the 170 Cu In engine. (wimpy wimpy wimpy!)
MOLON LABE!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 10:59:30 PM »

Dad had a 300 in an F250 that kept cracking the intake. It was covered under warranty, but after the third one he sold it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:29 PM »
Later 6's also used paper (sorry, "fiber composite") timing gears which tend to strip out at high mileage. I'm sure it was an attempt to reduce noise from the otherwise bulletproof gear-driven cam drive.

Gear driven cam, plus non-interference motor: how times have changed. My Subaru was an interference motor with timing belt! Yet they use Subaru engines in airplanes...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 05:11:57 AM »
You mean some planes have horizontally opposed piston engines?  That is correct, but I don't think Subaru makes any of them.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 06:29:48 AM »
^  Yes, there are a substantial number of Subaru engines converted to aircraft use... ignition,  bla-bla, etc.  Of course, they're liquid-cooled.

http://www.sdsefi.com/air51.htm

2. The EJ series Subaru has proven itself capable in the real world of sustained high rpm/ WOT operation with the 1989 world speed record of 100,000 km by three Legacy RS turbos over 447 hours of 138.78 mph and an estimated 250,000 flight hours by over 1000 Subaru EJ powered aircraft including gyroplanes from RAF and Groen, fixed wing conversions such as those from Eggenfellner Aircraft and hundreds of other private conversions worldwide. One high time gyro operator in Australia reported 3800 hours on an EJ engine without overhaul!
(Slight correction in grammar by me.)

They're great little engines until (in cars) you blow the lead-based head gasket* or have to change spark plug #1.  Of course, in an aircraft, that #1 plug is easy to get to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDB9bAns0g

^ That one shows the radiator, too.

https://youtu.be/UUzURMUe0MU

^ That one has the pilot explaining some of the mods he's played with.  (Long, 26:23.):  

"...and I'm burnin' 91 Octane from Costco..."   =D

Pros/cons of engine and prop system at 21:00ff.

Terry, 230RN

* Later gaskets are more conventional.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:44:45 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 07:42:17 AM »
Ah, I thought you meant OEM not conversions.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 07:53:37 AM »
I'm wondering what "sustained high rpm/ WOT operation " in my above long quote means.  What's WOT?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 07:58:46 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can't take just any old automotive engine and just stick it in a plane.  Conversions for aero use are mandatory.

Only if you get caught, or want to be in compliance with regulations, or actually, you know, want to live...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams