Author Topic: You think your HOA is bad?  (Read 6729 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
You think your HOA is bad?
« on: January 01, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
http://fna.speedsociety.com/car-blocked-in-driveway-by-hoa-is-this-legal  [ar15]

The youtube site has more to the story in the poster's comment/description.

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: You think your HOA is bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »
Move 'em out into the street* then grind the loops off the top  >:D

*put a pipe or big rebar in the loop as a lever to tip one end up, the put some kind of rollers under it.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »
Move 'em out into the street* then grind the loops off the top  >:D

Easier said than done. Visual scale, I'd guess they're at least 2 feet in each dimension, so 8 cubic feet. Concrete weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot, so that's a minimum of 1200 pounds -- more than half a ton. Contractors use heavy equipment to move those things around. They aren't nick-named "mafia blocks" for nothing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:05:20 PM »
My engine hoist would easily move 1200 lbs.  The hardest part of this situation would be deciding where the best place to put them would be: in the HOA prez's driveway, or the trunk of his car.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:28:09 PM by dogmush »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
My engine hoist would easily move 1200 lbs.  The hardest part of this situation would be deciding where the best place to put them would be.  In the HOA prez's driveway, or the trunk of his car.

I'd probably put them in each of his entry doors.

Note that I said in.  Not just blocking.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 10:29:13 PM »
I don't get how that's legal, even with an HOA.  ???

I get that they can make life hell with paperwork and legal action taken through lawyers and whatnot, but actually vandalizing someones property over fee's due? I'm not getting into the youtube commentary, but did they have some sort of court order saying they could do that?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 10:38:26 PM »
This is why HOA board members should keep VERY good home insurance, in case of "accidents."
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 10:47:14 PM »
Call a friend over with a truck and a chain.
If you have no friends with a truck, find a guy with a wrecker and offer him $100.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »
Those are probably rented.  I doubt the HOA had them lying around.  It would also be kinda fun to rent a flat trailer and engine hoist (if one doesn't already own such things) and haul them away in the dead of night.  Then play dumb.  "What huge concrete blocks?  I didn't see any huge blocks."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 11:21:52 PM »
The one time detcord is even a relevant response, and it takes 9 replies? Pretty weak, guys.  =|

(Not that you'd really want to detcord your own driveway...)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 11:44:09 PM »
Man, what luck! 

I'd be thrilled if someone offered to gift me some free concrete blocks by abandoning them on my personal property.  I'd spray paint them pretty florescent colors and put them right in my front yard as a work of modern art.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »
... Isn't there some mad chemistry trick one could use to dissolve concrete? or at least some easily homemade concoction that you drill a hole and pour it in for boomy effect?

Where is the APS chemist when you need him? I know we have one...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 11:58:33 PM »
... Isn't there some mad chemistry trick one could use to dissolve concrete? or at least some easily homemade concoction that you drill a hole and pour it in for boomy effect?

Where is the APS chemist when you need him? I know we have one...

Not a chemist, but you'd need huge amounts of the chemicals (hydrochloric acid, maybe) to dissolve 1000 lbs of concrete because the chemical will be consumed by the process.

Drilling a hole with a star drill and filling with a small amount of high explosive could work.  Getting the charge exactly right might be tricky, and you don't get many tries.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 11:59:20 PM »
Drilling a hole with a star drill and filling with a small amount of high explosive could work.  Getting the charge exactly right might be tricky, and you don't get many tries.

You get at least three just in that picture.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
What about a little spritzing of liquid nitrogen and a hammer?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 12:31:00 AM »
What about a little spritzing of liquid nitrogen and a hammer?

You'd need quite a bit of LN2 to make a real difference in the temp of that block.  Lots of mass there.  And I don't think cryo temps really do all that much to concrete.  Might be able to crack it with thermal stress.  It's not like rubber or plastic that goes past its glass transition temperature and is easily shattered.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
The variety of responses that come to mind give me goosebumps. Especially the ones that violate the Geneva convention

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »
It's just a hunk of concrete, likely not any kind of reinforcement. A few enthusiastic minutes with a proper sledge hammer will reduce it to manageable pieces.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »
HOAs get away with stuff like this because of what kind of contract the home owner signs.  If you give away your rights, you have none.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »
HOAs get away with stuff like this because of what kind of contract the home owner signs.  If you give away your rights, you have none.
I have a very hard time believing that an HOA contract covers this sort of thing, or that an HOA would survive the liability lawsuits should their enthusiastic pursuit of overdue fees delay prompt medical treatment or something.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »
I have a very hard time believing that an HOA contract covers this sort of thing, or that an HOA would survive the liability lawsuits should their enthusiastic pursuit of overdue fees delay prompt medical treatment or something.

This.  The typical remedy for nonpayment of HOA dues is legal action through the courts or some sort of action taken in conjunction with the sale of the home.

HOAs are not all-powerful and living in one doesn't make you a serf in fiefdom. 

Chris

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
This.  The typical remedy for nonpayment of HOA dues is legal action through the courts or some sort of action taken in conjunction with the sale of the home.

HOAs are not all-powerful and living in one doesn't make you a serf in fiefdom. 

Chris

Chris
What?!?

You shall bow before the concrete pillars of the HOA! Now peasant! [/whip crack]
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »
Counterweight, trebuchet, some assembly required. Piles of free ammo, some disassembly required.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »
The laws have changed a lot in the past years, but I don't think that crap would EVER fly in Virginia. You can deny someone who is behind on their payments use of community property (pool, even parking spaces), but blocking free access to property and preventing travel? I'd have a lawyer on them so fast it wouldn't be funny.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.