Author Topic: People in Texas Buy Trucks for No Reason  (Read 6770 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
People in Texas Buy Trucks for No Reason
« on: January 02, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
The New York Times breaks a shocking story.

Best comment:

I see the @nytimes is continuing their research on the mysterious people located west of the Hudson River.

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/01/02/ny-times-condescending-hot-take-about-texans-gets-hauled-to-the-mockery-dump-in-a-big-pickup-truck/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: People in Texas Buy Trucks for No Reason
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »
Ny times are idiots, big surprise. That said, I live in truck culture, would love a truck more current than my 83 GM. Can't afford one. They have become luxury items with rims, chrome, power everything, and everything one does not need. My Subaru gets more off-road time than many trucks and jeeps I see.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:49:43 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »
How many times do I have to haul something in my truck to justify getting a truck?  The short bed on my F150 has more utility than most of the features they buy on their sports cars.  And I can run over stuff that would wreck the underside of their cars.  In the industrial areas I go that is important.  

Have these people ever ridden in a Ford F150?  I can reach forward and not touch the windshield.  I have lots of room around me and don't feel like the truck is wrapped around me.  That alone is great.  

Also, there was mention of the smaller pickups.  Many of those are nearly as expensive as the full size trucks.  I figure the full size is a better value.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
My [sic] times are idiots, big surprise. That said, I live in truck culture, would love a truck more current than my 83 GM. Can't afford one. They have become luxury items with rims, chrome, power everything, and everything one does not need. My Subaru gets more off-road time than many trucks and jeeps I see.

I like my 2001 Chevy 1500 with hand-crank windows, 16" steel wheels, and rubber floor mats.  It does not have cruise control, I kinda wish it did (I think that was why I got a speeding ticket once.)  When I eventually have to replace it I will have to look for a used west Texas (etc) truck from the same era because I don't like the new ones.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
Also, in the NYT link they were referring to a truck rodeo.  I have never heard of that.  I guess they think it indicates something, but I doubt most people here know what it is.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 01:51:05 PM »
I like my 2001 Chevy 1500 with hand-crank windows, 16" steel wheels, and rubber floor mats.  It does not have cruise control, I kinda wish it did (I think that was why I got a speeding ticket once.)

Aftermarket cruise control units are available.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »
Still, I see a lot of knuckleheads that commute 60+ miles each way in a diesel F350 because they have a one horse trailer they sometimes pull on weekends.  (Which, BTW, I have seen done quite well by a 1977 Chevy Luv.)  A used-but-reliable Accord, even including registration and insurance, would save them a small fortune, especially since they're the ones that take the last smoke break of the day 20 minutes before quitting time to go start the truck and let it warm up or cool off...all the while bitching about the price of diesel.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
I still drive a 4wd F250 super duty with the V10 gasser that I bought new in May of 1998. Still runs and hauls just fine but I'm losing the rust battle. 175k miles and counting
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
My times are idiots, big surprise. That said, I live in truck culture, would love a truck more current than my 83 GM. Can't afford one. They have become luxury items with rims, chrome, power everything, and everything one does not need. My Subaru gets more off-road time than many trucks and jeeps I see.

You have to sift through the bajillion options, but you can still get a truck for a pretty reasonable price. My 2016 F-150 XLT supercab cost me $33K and came with the 301A package with power stuff, the plain Sync, and the 2.7 Ecoboost. I was also looking at an XL supercab with the NA 3.5 that came with the power group and could have got that one for $27K. The only reason I went with the more expensive one is because I planned on using it for road trips to alternate with my 4Runner and give that one a break once in a while.

Certainly these days something like my XLT is "low end". There were plenty of $60K lariats and platinums on the lots when I was looking. More of them than XLTs. You can get plain jane XL regular cab work trucks for the low $20Ks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
Sigh...I sold my 2002 Nissan Frontier 4 door 4x4 a couple months ago.  212,000 miles.  It is a long bed and they are kind of rare.  A friend of my son, who is a retired mechanic paid me $4000.00 for it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 03:24:33 PM »
If I could afford a second vehicle, it would probably be a truck. Between the two households, we could probably get enough use out of it to justify it, even if it wasn't big enough for a horse trailer (which is why I haven't brought the idea up with Eric. Mom would be unreasonable on the subject if a truck was purchased that could not potentially pull her precious mare around, despite not having a trailer or even the need for her own truck and trailer to get the horse where it needs to be)

I'd never want a truck for a primary vehicle, but given unlimited funds, I'd have a smallish sedan, an SUV and a truck parked in the driveway and I would be less than concerned if the truck rarely made an appearance on the road. It's one of those things, you may almost never need it, but when you do, you really just need a goddamn truck. There just isn't a great substitute and borrowing/renting is a PITA.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »
Sigh...I sold my 2002 Nissan Frontier 4 door 4x4 a couple months ago.  212,000 miles.  It is a long bed and they are kind of rare.  A friend of my son, who is a retired mechanic paid me $4000.00 for it.

I have the same thing with 112k on it. I'm just shocked how much it is still worth.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »
Crap like this is why we do not need the clueless coasters telling us deplorables out here in flyover country how we need to be living our lives.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
Best truck deal I have seen is my dad got a hugely high mileage 2500 fleet truck at auction for 3k. It had a much newer vortec motor in n it though. Spent about a grand on it, has towed across the country several times now, so money well spent.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »
zxcvbob remarked,

It does not have cruise control, I kinda wish it did (I think that was why I got a speeding ticket once.)

That's why I call it my honest button.

Three things I routinely ignore:

Coyotes howling in the night.
Kids throwing tantrums.
The New York Times.

I only pay real attention if they're getting closer.

Kingcreek said,

Still runs and hauls just fine but I'm losing the rust battle.

Helps with the gas mileage, though.  Rust is heavier than the steel it's made from.  I got half a mile/gallon more in my old Chevvy every time I hit a goodly bump and more rust fell off.  (Also some of the Bondo.((Came with it when I bought it. (((The rust me and G-d made.))))))

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »
"NY Times sent intrepid explorers outside the city limits, what they find will shock you." :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
Lots of people buy the NYT for no reason.   ;/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »
Lots of people buy the NYT for no reason.   ;/

It used to be really awesome for putting down for puppies to poop on, but the paper quality has gone down in the past few years.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
Touché

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
Have these people ever ridden in a Ford F150?  I can reach forward and not touch the windshield.  I have lots of room around me and don't feel like the truck is wrapped around me.  That alone is great.  

Yes. My main incentive for going back to a full-sized truck is actually the height, though. I would love to have a vehicle I don't have to crouch down into, and then climb back up out of.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 08:49:30 PM »
Aftermarket cruise control units are available.

JC Whitney FTW.

Yes. My main incentive for going back to a full-sized truck is actually the height, though. I would love to have a vehicle I don't have to crouch down into, and then climb back up out of.

This, this, 1000x this.

I like my 2013 Nissan Frontier, but they effed up the front seats and you have to duck to get inside if your back is of a certain length.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 08:50:35 PM »

Same mentality is why Hillary lost. There is a civilization outside of NYC, DC, SF and LA.

Trump at least knew to pay lip service to folks outside of NYC, even if he is a lifetime limousine liberal New Yorker.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
I like my 2013 Nissan Frontier, but they effed up the front seats and you have to duck to get inside if your back is of a certain length.

I'm not huge - 70", and I was probably about 225 when I bought my Tacoma - figuring out how to get my stems under the steering wheel, and back out again took a few weeks. No tilt wheel.

Same mentality is why Hillary lost. There is a civilization outside of NYC, DC, SF and LA.

Trump at least knew to pay lip service to folks outside of NYC, even if he is a lifetime limousine liberal New Yorker.

One day, the journalists and other eloi will kill a few forests, analyzing and theorizing how that came about.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

Word. I hate crouching to get into a vehicle. I doubt I'll ever own a car again.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 09:14:47 PM »
Yeah my company car is a '07 Ford Fukos. What a miserable piece of crap. Anything over about an 75 mile ride and I just kind of have to roll/fall out of the damn thing because it cramps up my back and hip so bad.
Hell even the Prius I had for a loaner was more comfortable to drive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams