Author Topic: People in Texas Buy Trucks for No Reason  (Read 6773 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: People in Texas Buy Trucks for No Reason
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
2016 Ram 1500 quad cab (aka extended cab), 5.7 V8, 8 speed transmission. 25.5-26 mpg highway. $32k. If I had known to wait a month I could have gotten same for about $28k. 2wd. Love it. Use it all the time to haul stuff I wouldn't or couldn't put in a passenger cabin. The people in the big blue cities who don't even own cars don't get it, so *expletive deleted*ck 'em.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »
Same mentality is why Hillary lost. There is a civilization outside of NYC, DC, SF and LA.

Trump at least knew to pay lip service to folks outside of NYC, even if he is a lifetime limousine liberal New Yorker.
Things have reversed a bit.  The rural and suburban people are the ones that are more worldly.  The ignorant, provincial people who stay within a few miles of where they grew up are liberals in the cities.

Or maybe it is just some people are complete morons who are self absorbed and can't look at the world through any perspective but their own provincial lens. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 04:01:49 AM »
Yeah my company car is a '07 Ford Fukos. What a miserable piece of crap. Anything over about an 75 mile ride and I just kind of have to roll/fall out of the damn thing because it cramps up my back and hip so bad.
Hell even the Prius I had for a loaner was more comfortable to drive.

I noted the singular "hip."

FWIW, I had recurring trouble with severe (ER-type severe) cramps in my right hip/ham/tushie/glute.

Totally disabling.  I seem to recall that ER people gave me a shot of snake venom on one visit there, but the pain blurred my recollection a little.

Tracked it down to 8 +/- hours sitting in the office plus another hour driving with my wallet in that back pocket.

I obtained a chained wallet from my local hipster/biker/ne'er-do-well store and I now remove it and put it in my lap while sitting or driving.  Problem solved.

Just FWIW,  if irrelevant, ignore.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:17:23 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
I'm in the minority as someone who like small cars for daily driving duties.  Our three vehicles are a 20yo 4Runner (SUV), Honda Odyssey (minivan), and 2013 Ford Focus hatchback.  I like driving the Focus because it's peppy, zippy, and is easy to maneuver in heavy NoVA traffic.  A few suspension tweaks makes it handle like the proverbial slot car. 

My wife doesn't like it though because she thinks a vehicle should have ample space to lounge around like you're on the couch. ;/

Chris

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 07:58:56 AM »
Things have reversed a bit.  The rural and suburban people are the ones that are more worldly.  The ignorant, provincial people who stay within a few miles of where they grew up are liberals in the cities.

Or maybe it is just some people are complete morons who are self absorbed and can't look at the world through any perspective but their own provincial lens.  

Interesting.  I commented on that a number of years ago, here and there.  Mostly to friends and relatives I left back east.  I noticed how provincial New Yorkers were compared to real people out in the "provinces" when I moved out to Colorado in the sixties.

That New Yorker cover tells the whole story.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
Yeah my company car is a '07 Ford Fukos. What a miserable piece of crap. Anything over about an 75 mile ride and I just kind of have to roll/fall out of the damn thing because it cramps up my back and hip so bad.
Hell even the Prius I had for a loaner was more comfortable to drive.

That is our loaner car at work if your main vehicle is out of service. I needed a new head on my work, 2013 Chyrsler 200 and had to drive the Focus for a 9 days/1200 miles. Horrible vehicle, cramped, loud, bounced all over the road.

I hate my 200 also, but I'm getting close to replacement miles and I'm scared what is going to replace it. We get new work cars after 120k miles.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
Tracked it down to 8 +/- hours sitting in the office plus another hour driving with my wallet in that back pocket.

I obtained a chained wallet from my local hipster/biker/ne'er-do-well store and I now remove it and put it in my lap while sitting or driving.  Problem solved.

Thread drift warning. Why do people put their wallets in their back pocket?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
Thread drift warning. Why do people put their wallets in their back pocket?

The Universe demands it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
When I upgraded from an apartment to a house last year, I knew a pickup would be indispensible. After several trash runs and trips to Lowe's, I was right. I got a 2004 Ranger XLT with 102k miles on it, but the electrical system has been a problem and I'm not pleased.

I am still a fan of small pickups, when possible I'm hoping to get a Colorado, Frontier, or Tacoma. My daily commute is 8 miles so gas mileage around 16/20 is fine with me.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »
The Universe demands it.

I tried it once.

Disadvantages:
- It seemed uncomfortable to sit unevenly.
- Wallet was insecure. Both from accidents, or theft.
- Harder to access, admittedly not by a lot.

Advantages:
- More room in front pocket. Not that much But even with a cell phone, knive, smokes/lighter, my front pockets were rarely that crowded. Maybe other men buy pants with smaller pockets?

I kinda took it as just another sign that normal people are very strange.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 09:43:20 AM »
My new truck as of about 3 months ago.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
I needed a new head on my work,

We had a Focus at my old job too, and when I couldn't get the Expedition or truck, I got stuck in the Focus and needed a new head too, because I banged my head getting in every freakin' time.  =D

Once in, I actually had plenty of leg room, but contorting into it was a pain for my 6'3" herculean frame. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
I noted the singular "hip."

FWIW, I had recurring trouble with severe (ER-type severe) cramps in my right hip/ham/tushie/glute.

Totally disabling.  I seem to recall that ER people gave me a shot of snake venom on one visit there, but the pain blurred my recollection a little.

Terry, 230RN

I keep my rather slim wallet on the left side, partly because I'd read somewhere that it could exacerbate hip problems and mostly so it's on the other side from my weapon.

I was really having problems with my hip in the Summer and Fall, more than 5 minutes of walking at a moderate pace had me looking for a place to sit down and some days I was using a cane, A days sailing was getting to be not fun. Brought it up to the Doc on my annual visit in mid-October. X-ray diagnosis was severe osteoarthritis in the hip and moderate to severe arthritis in the lumbar spine. 3 years ago when my back went bad and laid me out for several weeks the MRI was showing only light arthritis in the back and hip.
So I have a 'script for Mobic and take Tylenol as needed.
Not caring for the idea of not being able to do things I want to do I decided it was time to pull my head out of my flabby ass and see what I could do about it. Walking came up as the best exercise. So with prescription anti-inflammatory drugs and Tylenol coursing through my veins I began walking. I made fairly rapid improvements. Starting in late October 15 minute sessions became 30, 30 became 45. I'm now doing a 4 mile loop walk around the neighborhood and have stretched it out to a little over 5 miles a couple of times.
*expletive deleted*ck arthritis.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »
Currently driving a 2000 Lincoln Navigator, got it for $1500.

Actually would love to have a Tacoma or a some other small/mid-size 4x4 truck but damn, people thing they are gold plated with the prices they are asking.  I've seen upwards to 5 year old trucks going for damn near new prices.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
I just replaced my 1995 F250 with a 1999 F250.  4x4, 183k miles, long bed.  $2k

Granted, I'm not the typical suburban dweller, but I'd be severely hampered by not having a pickup.  Business uses aside, I buy 8 ft building materials somewhat often; as well as heavy, greasy big machines and parts, and loose bulk material (dirt, mulch, wood).

I commute in a little economy car that gets good fuel mileage and zips nicely though traffic - but my truck probably averages one mission a week that I just can't do with my car.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
Reading this thread, I'm reminded of how nice it is to be average height and build (currently 5'10" and 187lbs).  Every car or truck fits me just fine.  Oh sure, some are better than others, but I don't have to select a vehicle based on my physical attributes.

Focus for a 9 days/1200 miles. Horrible vehicle, cramped, loud, bounced all over the road.
I agree on the loud part.  They didn't put much investment into sound proofing on that car and the window glass is thin to save weight.  It isn't an issue in town, but is noticeable on the interstate above 60 miles an hour.  I may have the roof treated with sound proofing by a local car audio shop to compensate.  Cramped is a function of driver size so I don't find it cramped at all. :P  Not sure what you mean by bouncing all over the road as mine is very stable and tracks well.  My 4Runner, with LT tires and worn shocks, bounces all over the place.

Chris

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
I just replaced my 1995 F250 with a 1999 F250.  4x4, 183k miles, long bed.  $2k

Granted, I'm not the typical suburban dweller, but I'd be severely hampered by not having a pickup.  Business uses aside, I buy 8 ft building materials somewhat often; as well as heavy, greasy big machines and parts, and loose bulk material (dirt, mulch, wood).

I commute in a little economy car that gets good fuel mileage and zips nicely though traffic - but my truck probably averages one mission a week that I just can't do with my car.

Love to find something like this but I never seem to be in the right place at the right time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:15 AM »
Love to find something like this but I never seem to be in the right place at the right time.

The body isn't awesome, and I had to sort out an electrical issue.  Part of why it was cheap.  That said, I don't really care what they look like.  It's a work vehicle.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
When I upgraded from an apartment to a house last year, I knew a pickup would be indispensible. After several trash runs and trips to Lowe's, I was right. I got a 2004 Ranger XLT with 102k miles on it, but the electrical system has been a problem and I'm not pleased.

I am still a fan of small pickups, when possible I'm hoping to get a Colorado, Frontier, or Tacoma. My daily commute is 8 miles so gas mileage around 16/20 is fine with me.
I briefly considered the small pickups when I bought my truck (the previous truck also).  In general, they cost nearly as much as the full size pickups and the gas mileage is often no better.  They are getting pretty dang good gas mileage out of the full size pickups. 

If I ever get another pickup in the future, I will take a close look at the Tacoma.  The Toyota full size also.  We will see. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »
I briefly considered the small pickups when I bought my truck (the previous truck also).  In general, they cost nearly as much as the full size pickups and the gas mileage is often no better.  They are getting pretty dang good gas mileage out of the full size pickups. 

If I ever get another pickup in the future, I will take a close look at the Tacoma.  The Toyota full size also.  We will see. 

My lessons learned:
1. A mid-size / smaller 1/2 ton pickup will cost 2/3 what a full size 1/2 ton will.  (Or 50% more than a mid-size.)  I looked at base 4-door models, very few frills.
2. MPG for mid-size 1/2 ton with beefy V-6 will be about the same for a full sized 1/2 ton pickup with a V-8.  IOW, 18-20mpg.
3. Setting up a full size 1/2 ton for decent towing will raise cost to almost that of a 3/4 ton.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
I paid a premium (to the tune of about $ 41 K or so) to buy my loaded 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 as a mid-size alternative to a full-size truck.  I could have bought a full-size truck for much cheaper, but I would have been unable to park it in the underground garages of downtown Seattle due to the size and height of the vehicle.  I have to go to Seattle on business 2-3 times per month, and mass transit is not a viable option.  I don't know how it is in your city with the skyscraper garages, but a whole lot of them in Seattle have a height restriction of 6 feet max.  The Tacoma needs 5'11" to fit and even then some of the garages are too cramped for the length of the truck. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
Even though performance, price, and mpg figures favor the bigger trucks, the main reason I personally favor smaller trucks like the Tacoma is that the physical size makes them easier to drive in congested areas and because they'll go places offroad that can be trickier for a larger truck.  We're considering an F150 crewcab with 6' bed as our next family vehicle (possibly retiring the 4Runner at the same time).  However, if we get one, it'll never spend time in our garage as it's too long to fit.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »
Advantages:
- More room in front pocket. Not that much But even with a cell phone, knive, smokes/lighter, my front pockets were rarely that crowded. Maybe other men buy pants with smaller pockets?

I kinda took it as just another sign that normal people are very strange.

You're definitely right about that last part.

I'd like to know where I can get pants with that much room in the front pockets. My wallet is in back because I'd rather sit on that, than a phone, knife, flashlight, or key-ring. I've never found the wallet to make sitting crooked or uncomfortable. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
Reading this thread, I'm reminded of how nice it is to be average height and build (currently 5'10" and 187lbs).  Every car or truck fits me just fine.  Oh sure, some are better than others, but I don't have to select a vehicle based on my physical attributes.
I agree on the loud part.  They didn't put much investment into sound proofing on that car and the window glass is thin to save weight.  It isn't an issue in town, but is noticeable on the interstate above 60 miles an hour.  I may have the roof treated with sound proofing by a local car audio shop to compensate.  Cramped is a function of driver size so I don't find it cramped at all. :P  Not sure what you mean by bouncing all over the road as mine is very stable and tracks well.  My 4Runner, with LT tires and worn shocks, bounces all over the place.

Chris

It's a fleet vehicle, so cheapest options. Tires are really skinny and higher pressure, hit a bump or rut and it jumps. I am long trunked and long tibia bones, most vehicles stink for me on terms of comfort. Also a 2007, not as nice as the newer ones.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »
Of course they buy them for a reason. They want one, which is all the reason they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.