Author Topic: People in Texas Buy Trucks for No Reason  (Read 6768 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: People in Texas Buy Trucks for No Reason
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »
I briefly considered the small pickups when I bought my truck (the previous truck also).  In general, they cost nearly as much as the full size pickups and the gas mileage is often no better.  They are getting pretty dang good gas mileage out of the full size pickups. 

If I ever get another pickup in the future, I will take a close look at the Tacoma.  The Toyota full size also.  We will see. 

Near the same thought process as me when I downsized from my F-250. I was actually looking at the Toyotas first.

I figured I'd like the Tacoma because it's the same frame as my 4Runner. I do indeed like it, but a couple of things that moved me away were the retail price and the bed width. I can live with a 6' bed, but really like to be able to lay a sheet of plywood or drywall flat on the bed. You can certainly use the sidewall indents on the Tacoma to make a wheelwell rack, but I ended up migrating away.

On the Tundras, they are actually quite reasonably priced, especially with their nice standard option package, but are severely outdated. Also the only engine options are two V-8s, one anemic, and both gas guzzlers. We're talking 14-18MPG.

The F-150 was actually my third choice (haven't owned one since a 2002 I had), but after researching and sitting in them, I was really impressed with features, and more importantly payload ability with the aluminum beds. Plus the little 2.7L Ecoboost puts out 325hp (more than the Tundra standard V-8) and I reliably get 22mpg around town and 26mpg hwy. Even got it up to 28mpg on a road trip. I'm more impressed with that little engine every day. I hauled near 3/4 ton of gravel with it a while back, and while the rear sank down a bit (the F-250 never even moved), I hit tow/haul mode and you couldn't tell I even had anything in the back.  I also simply like all the elbow room in the cab.

I used to have to deal with parking my F-250 in Santa Barbara, so the F-150 is a pleasure, especially where I am now since they don't standardize parking spaces on the Prius. :)

Anyway, as much as I love Toyota quality as evidenced in my 4Runner, the F-150 really was the best bang for the buck for me and my truck needs. Ford has done a really outstanding job on this generation. About the only thing I miss from the F-250 is the ride height. Even I had to kind of get on my tip toes to get in it. The F-150's seat is just about ass height on me, so it's pretty much a straight slide in. :)

On a side note, the venerable Coyote is going away next year to be replaced by a new 4.8L V-8.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
Of course they buy them for a reason. They want one, which is all the reason they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good reason to me.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »
Of course they buy them for a reason. They want one, which is all the reason they need.

Fine with me, if they can afford it.  And that means if they can and will bear all of the added costs of their vehicle choice.

I get a bit tired of all the "farm trucks" cruising around obviously not being used on a farm.  (Half the time parked at an apartment complex, or in a major non-farm employer's lot - the farm truck registration specifically prohibits use of the vehicle for non-farm employment.)  Since the state isn't going to the poorhouse over their deep discount registration, that cost gets passed on to everybody else, along with the costs of providing extra wide parking spaces all over town so they can go to the courthouse and Taco Bell in a dually with towing mirrors, then park it on the (narrow residential) street in front of their (strangely lacking in other farm accoutrements, like, say, a field or animals) house.

Meanwhile, the real farmers tend to drive compact pickups or passenger cars 90% of the time, only using the (>10 years old and beat to hell) farm truck when they actually need to haul something that won't fit in the Toyota's trunk.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »
Fine with me, if they can afford it.  And that means if they can and will bear all of the added costs of their vehicle choice.

I get a bit tired of all the "farm trucks" cruising around obviously not being used on a farm.  (Half the time parked at an apartment complex, or in a major non-farm employer's lot - the farm truck registration specifically prohibits use of the vehicle for non-farm employment.)  Since the state isn't going to the poorhouse over their deep discount registration, that cost gets passed on to everybody else, along with the costs of providing extra wide parking spaces all over town so they can go to the courthouse and Taco Bell in a dually with towing mirrors, then park it on the (narrow residential) street in front of their (strangely lacking in other farm accoutrements, like, say, a field or animals) house.

Meanwhile, the real farmers tend to drive compact pickups or passenger cars 90% of the time, only using the (>10 years old and beat to hell) farm truck when they actually need to haul something that won't fit in the Toyota's trunk.
Sounds like an issue for the local registration people and DPS enforcement.  I don't see that around here too much.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
Sounds like an issue for the local registration people and DPS enforcement.

Been trying to convince the police chief that the department could make a fortune seizing "farm trucks" from the bar parking lots.  Let the owners explain what legitimate "farm business" was being conducted at 10PM while slobbering drunk.  Last one didn't go for it because it was too much like work, and haven't gotten a good answer from the current one.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »
I tried it once.

Disadvantages:
- It seemed uncomfortable to sit unevenly.
- Wallet was insecure. Both from accidents, or theft.
- Harder to access, admittedly not by a lot.

Advantages:
- More room in front pocket. Not that much But even with a cell phone, knive, smokes/lighter, my front pockets were rarely that crowded. Maybe other men buy pants with smaller pockets?

I kinda took it as just another sign that normal people are very strange.

This is why I keep mine in my front pocket. Cell phone front left; wallet, knife, and house key front right.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
Left rear pocket:  wallet
Right rear pocket:  bandanna
Left front pocket: truck key fob and pocket knife
Right front pocket: keychain/mini tool/keychain light on kubotan

Belt case: smartphone, Leatherman and pen

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »
Left Rear Pocket: Cellphone if I'm vertical
Right Rear Pocket: Wallet (Allet "thin" wallet)
Left Front Pocket: Keys, maybe small pocket knife if Right front pocket is occupied by j-frame
Right Front Pocket: Knife unless occupied by j-frame

No bat belts for me, but I will sometimes forgo the j-frame in a pocket for a Glock 19 on the belt.

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
Guess that's an advantage of the bike. My wallet is usually in a cargo pocket, but even when I'm in jeans it's well clear of the saddle.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »
Left rear pocket:  wallet
Right rear pocket:  bandanna

I actually do that, too. That way, my identification is opposite my firearm, and I have something handy to daub my be-dewed brow. Gotta have the right color, though.  :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkerchief_code
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 12:34:08 AM »

I actually do that, too. That way, my identification is opposite my firearm, and I have something handy to daub my be-dewed brow. Gotta have the right color, though.  :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkerchief_code

My bandannas are a brown digital camo and a gray urban camo, and I think they were something like $ 4 for a three pack at WalMart.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/04/watch-bunch-journalists-freak-asked-know-anybody-drives-truck/

The five most popular vehicle models among Republicans, for example, are all trucks, with the ubiquitous Ford F-150 leading the way. Among Democrats, the Subaru Outback is the most popular choice. If you drive a truck, you’re probably a Republican. If you drive a Subaru, you’re probably a Democrat. Donald Trump won every single state in which the Ford F-150 is the most popular vehicle (even Pennsylvania). He won all but four of the states in which the Chevy Silverado is the most popular vehicle, including Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Hillary Clinton handily won the states where people prefer Subarus.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/04/watch-bunch-journalists-freak-asked-know-anybody-drives-truck/

Heh. I agree with their assessment regarding trucks and Subarus and the general population. It certainly plays out here in CA. What's interesting to me is the number of Subaru owners on APS who are not SJWs. Maybe there's another factor regarding libertarian leanings or something.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
So I own the Toyota Tacoma truck and my wife owns the Subaru Outback.  We should therefore cancel each other out from the automotive perspective.

PS: I just counted, and out of the 18 houses in our upscale rural development, only two do not have at least one truck.  And one of the two had a truck until two months ago: he traded it in on a 3-row SUV since it was easier for him to get in and out of with his bad back, and their daughter is now in volleyball, so they often have to load up a bunch of twelve-year old girls and their gear to go to games.  The most common truck brands in our development are Ford, Toyota, Chevy and Dodge, in that order.  More Fords than anything else.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 02:12:36 PM »
Are Ford trucks really more popular than GM, or does GMC siphon-off just enough votes from Chevy keep Chevy from winning the election?   >:D

I bought a new car right after the bailout, and I bought a Ford because they toughed it out without any taxpayer money.
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
So I own the Toyota Tacoma truck and my wife owns the Subaru Outback.  We should therefore cancel each other out from the automotive perspective.

PS: I just counted, and out of the 18 houses in our upscale rural development, only two do not have at least one truck.  And one of the two had a truck until two months ago: he traded it in on a 3-row SUV since it was easier for him to get in and out of with his bad back, and their daughter is now in volleyball, so they often have to load up a bunch of twelve-year old girls and their gear to go to games.  The most common truck brands in our development are Ford, Toyota, Chevy and Dodge, in that order.  More Fords than anything else.

What's funny is that if I needed a third vehicle, a subaru would be high on my list.  But since I have a 5 mile commute to work, I don't sweat the gas consumption or mileage that my F150 uses.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
What's funny is that if I needed a third vehicle, a subaru would be high on my list.  But since I have a 5 mile commute to work, I don't sweat the gas consumption or mileage that my F150 uses.

I guess we all know how I feel about cars  :laugh: , but same here - if I were considering a car, a Subaru would be high on my list for practicality.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
Are Ford trucks really more popular than GM, or does GMC siphon-off just enough votes from Chevy keep Chevy from winning the election?   >:D

I bought a new car right after the bailout, and I bought a Ford because they toughed it out without any taxpayer money.
When I shopped for my current truck, I didn't even consider a Chevy.  I looked at Ford and Toyota. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »
Been trying to convince the police chief that the department could make a fortune seizing "farm trucks" from the bar parking lots.  Let the owners explain what legitimate "farm business" was being conducted at 10PM while slobbering drunk.  Last one didn't go for it because it was too much like work, and haven't gotten a good answer from the current one.

Probably just because it's picayune and paying your government as little as possible however you go about it is usually a good thing.

Just a guess on my part.
I promise not to duck.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/07/best-selling-pickup-trucks-june-2016.html

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »

I drive an F150 and ride a Harley and would have no problem with a Forester or Outback as another vehicle. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
What's interesting to me is the number of Subaru owners on APS who are not SJWs. Maybe there's another factor regarding libertarian leanings or something.

<raises hand>

Practicality.  No need for a truck right now.  Had many trucks in the past.  But even on the farm I had cars at the same time.  Also had a full cab over camper and trucks with camper shells and a van (Chevvy Greenbrier.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:48:14 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
They consider the Honda Ridgeline a truck? 

Yep, don't worry all pickups will be uni body in a few years.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »

This thinking is what pisses me off.  Just because one person pays less in taxes, does not mean that someone else pays more.  I've got friends that keep insisting that because Trump (allegedly) paid no taxes for several years, that that 'uncollected' tax burden was born by the poor and middle class.  I always ask them to point out where, specifically, on the taxes forms is the line that says "Additional amount due because of other peoples "loopholes".

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.