Author Topic: New Asus TM-AC1900 will not connect to cable modem. Wireless works fine  (Read 1233 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
I just got a shiny new wifi router today, and cannot connect to the Internet with it.  I tried cloning the MAC address of my old router and that didn't help.  If I plug my laptop directly into the cable modem, I had to power-off/on the modem to get it to connect, but it connects just fine after that.  I'm back to using my old 802.11G router.

I tried using static DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and that didn't help.  Next step is to press the little recessed reset button on the back and start over...

Any way to test the WAN port?  If I plug my computer into that, should they be able to negotiate a connection of some sort?

Do I call Asus first, or Charter?
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: New Asus TM-AC1900 will not connect to cable modem. Wireless works fine
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »
On the LAN DHCP Server setup page, there's a suspicious-looking setting.  The domain name is set to "T-mobile.com"  Should I blank that out, or change it to roc.mn.charter.com?
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »
If I plug the WAN port from the new router into a LAN port of the old router, it's able to connect to the Internet.  It's not happy about the non-routable IP address; it knows there are two routers.

It would be a weird setup, but I think I can configure the new router as an access point, and turn off the wireless in the old router, and that should work.  No idea why I need the old router  ??? maybe there are some clues in its configuration.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:48:09 PM »
I started over (again).  The main problem is I was selecting PPPoE (sp?) for the connection type.  Also I reset the cable modem first (all Ethernet cables unplugged), then reset the router, then hooked up the Ethernet cable.

It all seems to be working now.  Time to see if I can stream a video game wirelessly and stream Internet TV at the same time.

Thanks for listening  :lol:
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 06:26:40 AM »
Yup, PPPoE is typically used in DSL service, not cable internet. Sounds like you figured it out.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 03:11:04 PM »
Do I want to give the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands the same SSID?  Or give the 5GHz a different hidden SSID?  Right now, both are set to the same thing ("Remulac") and all the laptops are connecting to "Remulac 2" and asking about network share permissions.

I'm also considering making Remulac a guest SSID (wife has students come over for tutoring and they hop onto our wifi)  and using a totally new name for my actual LAN.
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »
I gave mine separate SSIDs, so I can manually steer the devices to whichever band I want them in.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 07:24:47 PM »
Do I want to give the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands the same SSID?  Or give the 5GHz a different hidden SSID?  Right now, both are set to the same thing ("Remulac") and all the laptops are connecting to "Remulac 2" and asking about network share permissions.

I'm also considering making Remulac a guest SSID (wife has students come over for tutoring and they hop onto our wifi)  and using a totally new name for my actual LAN.

I made mine different. One ends in 2.4, the other ends in 5.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!