Author Topic: Burglars Breaking Down Doors  (Read 1344 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Burglars Breaking Down Doors
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
I know both Rev and CSD have harped on the fact that people get more concerned with their doors and locks than with the frames regarding "burglar proofing". I thought this video was a perfect example of why they are right. Sorry it's AOL:

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/01/03/on-duty-firefighter-watches-live-streaming-video-of-thieves-brea/21646786/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058&

This is one of the reasons I've installed Door Armor and long screws. Certainly not the best solution, but it does give me a bit more piece of mind that it will take more than a kick or two to knock my door out, and hopefully give me a little more time to get my wits about me in a 0200 break in.

http://armorconcepts.com/Door-Jamb-Armor/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Burglars Breaking Down Doors
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
I buy the extended length heavy steel door jam lock plates at Lowe's along with LONG and heavier screws to attach them with. Our back door is metal so It's OK but the front door is old and would easily break with a serious kicking. Both lock sets have been replaced and the deadbolts are key only type so if ya come in through a window, you and anything you steal goes out that way too unless ya break the door.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »
Unless you are able to reframe the door it's tuff to make it truly hardened. Laminate a couple layers of 3/4 inch plywood on both sides of studs. Or better yet a metal plate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
This happened here in KC and when I first saw it on the news I had to chuckle at the fact the dog just sat there and did nothing. 

There was another case here in KC that happened a day or two ago where one guy came into a home through a window and was wandering around for two hours while the home owners slept.  One of them got up to investigate but stopped short of going through the entire home and didn't call the police until they woke up and saw everything on the surveillance recording. :facepalm:

Bad guy got away with an AR15 and ammo.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »
This happened here in KC and when I first saw it on the news I had to chuckle at the fact the dog just sat there and did nothing. 

There was another case here in KC that happened a day or two ago where one guy came into a home through a window and was wandering around for two hours while the home owners slept.  One of them got up to investigate but stopped short of going through the entire home and didn't call the police until they woke up and saw everything on the surveillance recording. :facepalm:

Bad guy got away with an AR15 and ammo.

Watching the video was another reinforcement for me regarding keeping a gun handy. I generally don't open the door to unexpected callers. If that had been my home, they would have broken in to find me at home. It looked like daylight, so I would have had my wits about me and likely within a few seconds had a pistol in hand. The way that guy barged through the door, and his "aggressive stance" as he walked in, I think I might have shot first and asked questions later.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."