Author Topic: Chinese immigrants in America are eager to exercise an unfamiliar right: gun own  (Read 629 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.latimes.com/nation/ct-chinese-immigrants-guns-20161231-story.html

At Gun Effects, Chinese buyers have shown up in droves to buy the store’s stock of soon-to-be restricted firearms.

Kai Kang, 48, lined up to purchase a scope for one of his guns. He remembers being curious about owning a gun when he came to America about a decade ago. In China he was in the military, but he never thought about owning a gun for his personal use.

Once he had his green card, he decided to try it out. Gun collecting eventually became a hobby. He goes to shooting ranges with his friends and keeps guns in his house for protection.

I thought this was interesting. 

One Chinese customer new to the country started shaking when he held a gun for the first time, Lin said. When he handed the gun back to Lin, it was soaked with sweat.

“I just tell them don’t be scared. It’s legal here,” Lin said.

There some comments about supporting gun control, but I am all for more people getting comfortable with exercising their gun rights. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bscl

• friends
That's great that they are showing interest.  If only they can leave their Red Chinese authoritarian tendencies when they come here...

“I’m just doing this for fun. I don’t think everyone should have a gun,” Gao said.

Gao’s stance mirrors national trends. Asian Americans have the lowest rates of gun ownership among all demographic groups, according to exit polls conducted during the 2008 presidential election. And a 2016 survey of Asian American registered voters by APIAVote found that 77 percent wanted stricter gun control laws. Even Gao said he wouldn’t support legalizing private gun ownership in China.

Jason He, another Chinese customer, agreed.  He thinks it would be unwise for China to legalize private gun ownership, and expressed support for California’s new assault weapon restrictions.

Kind of reminds me of this attitude:

“I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we are not being controlled, we'll just do what we want.” Jackie Chan
Life Member NRA, SAF

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I thought this was interesting. 

Quote:
One Chinese customer new to the country started shaking when he held a gun for the first time, Lin said. When he handed the gun back to Lin, it was soaked with sweat.

“I just tell them don’t be scared. It’s legal here,” Lin said.

I've encountered similar reactions even from Americans.

It's as if the gun itself radiated evil intent.  I bet the inverse square law applies there, too.

Yes, Virginia, there is a hoplopohobia.