Author Topic: Gunsmithing question  (Read 1041 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Gunsmithing question
« on: January 04, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
My FIL gave me his Remington 721 recently.  I took it deer hunting back in October and discovered a problem with it.  I usually hike with my rifle with a round chambered because the terrain isn't tooooo bad, there's usually no fences to cross, and I'm typically alone.  Plus, if I were to jump a deer I'd be lucky to just get the rifle up in time let alone also work the bolt to chamber a round before it was gone.  I've also with my other hunting guns never had a problem with the safety.  However on the 721 I noticed after carrying it on my right side that the safety was not engaged.  Re-engaged the safety, hiked around a bit more and noticed the safety was off again.  Figured I test my theory out and carried it purposely on the right side and found the safety off within maybe a minute or two.  Left side was fine, never bothered the safety, but you can't always carry it on one side.

Work around in the field was to unchamber the round and just carry it on an empty chamber, but even that's not totally satisfactory as the safety also keeps the bolt locked closed, and with it off it's also possible for the bolt to fall open exposing the receiver to possible contamination as well as exposing the bolt to possible damage.

So, I want to get that safety stiffened up so it won't disengage accidentally.  If that is easy enough to DIY I will.  Any resources on how to do such gunsmithing work?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Gunsmithing question
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
I wonder if you elbow or arm is moving the safety when you are walking.

Perhaps the safety sping is weak or the detent ball is missing or peened?

I'm just trying to think this out in my head.

Remington 721s are know for having safety issues, usually you take it off safe and it fires without pulling the trigger.

May just be worth it to send to Remington and let them fix it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »

Any safety malfunction means the gun is deadlined until the issue is resolved. If it qualifies, send to Remington for the fix.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:20:52 PM »
Buy a Savage, or Tikka,
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
How does this recall in any way address sumpenz's issue?

That is the jist of what my response would have been.  The problem is with the safety not the trigger.  And thus far I like the trigger as is and most likely Remington would give me a crappy trigger in place of the nice one.

Buy a Savage, or Tikka,

Not happening.

I wonder if you elbow or arm is moving the safety when you are walking.

Perhaps the safety sping is weak or the detent ball is missing or peened?

I'm just trying to think this out in my head.

Remington 721s are know for having safety issues, usually you take it off safe and it fires without pulling the trigger.

May just be worth it to send to Remington and let them fix it.

Not sure what was hitting the safety.  Could have been my elbow, something on the backpack, my jacket, etc.

I might try taking it apart if I can do so without unduly risking losing tiny impossible to buy replacements.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »
I might try taking it apart if I can do so without unduly risking losing tiny impossible to buy replacements.

Parts are readily available from Numerich

Trigger is fairly straightforward on adjusting the weight and break if is just like a rem 700.

I've never work on your particular model.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 11:15:55 PM »
So, I don't have a 721 in font of me (or at all) but from looking at pars diagrams it appears that the safety is held in  position with a ball/detent set up.  So the traditional choices are to either put a stiffer spring behind tha ball, open the detents up a *little* to let the ball sit deeper or some combination of those.  I've had decent luck very carefully adjusting detents to tune safety's.  Ether make them bigger with steeper sides to make things stiffer, or slope the sides a little to make things easier.  Go slow, and fit test often.

Another choice that comes to mid is that while trying to find a diagram of that rifle's safety, my favorite gun parts website spit out this: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/809010.htm#809010A  That's an aftermarket 3 position safety for a Rem 721, that might very well fix your swiping off issue(comes with a new detent and spring), and will add the functionality of being able to operate/remove the bolt with the safety on.  Fiddy Bones.   Just don't play with your trigger parts when you install it and your trigger pull should remain unchanged.

One of those two courses of action should fix you up.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 03:05:26 AM »
So, I don't have a 721 in font of me (or at all) but from looking at pars diagrams it appears that the safety is held in  position with a ball/detent set up.  So the traditional choices are to either put a stiffer spring behind tha ball, open the detents up a *little* to let the ball sit deeper or some combination of those.  I've had decent luck very carefully adjusting detents to tune safety's.  Ether make them bigger with steeper sides to make things stiffer, or slope the sides a little to make things easier.  Go slow, and fit test often.

Another choice that comes to mid is that while trying to find a diagram of that rifle's safety, my favorite gun parts website spit out this: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/809010.htm#809010A  That's an aftermarket 3 position safety for a Rem 721, that might very well fix your swiping off issue(comes with a new detent and spring), and will add the functionality of being able to operate/remove the bolt with the safety on.  Fiddy Bones.   Just don't play with your trigger parts when you install it and your trigger pull should remain unchanged.

One of those two courses of action should fix you up.

That is some great info.  I might see about a new spring, or just go for the 3-position safety you linked to.  Not sure I want to mess about with modifying the detent on the current (not so) safety.