Author Topic: Millennials in the Workplace  (Read 6475 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Millennials in the Workplace
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
I was startled to hear that I was frightening coworkers at one job. Apparently being 6'1" and 250 - 275 lbs (not all fat), having a beard, wearing leather, riding a motorcycle and being known for telling it like it is and not brown nosing was found to be intimidating!  :P

I had to be extra super nice when dealing with some special little snowflakes after that and all was good...

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
I had to be extra super nice when dealing with some special little snowflakes after that and all was good...

Much more fun to keep your words extra super nice (so HR can't find anything solid to work with) but your body language in that "I wonder if I can stretch your skin enough to fit me, and do you taste like chicken or pork?" mode.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
I was startled to hear that I was frightening coworkers at one job. Apparently being 6'1" and 250 - 275 lbs (not all fat), having a beard, wearing leather, riding a motorcycle and being known for telling it like it is and not brown nosing was found to be intimidating!  :P

:old:

See that picture makes me feel threatened... by your fashion sense.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 01:44:39 PM »

See that picture makes me feel threatened... by your fashion sense.

Brad

That was when I was gigging with my band a lot and doing the FM radio DJ thing on the side.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
Depends; a 3 piece just works better for some body types, but there is a strong element of knowing how to wear it.  Unless you're intentionally peacocking, you've got to be able to look like it's just what you feel right in.

Uhmmmm douchenozzle? I worked with the douchenozzle. He was, and is, a millennial douchenozzle. So stop being a douchenozzle.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
That was when I was gigging with my band a lot and doing the FM radio DJ thing on the side.

I have a hat very similar to yours.  When you start going bald in your early 20's, you tend to end up with a large hat collection.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
Uhmmmm douchenozzle? I worked with the douchenozzle. He was, and is, a millennial douchenozzle. So stop being a douchenozzle.

I worked with a ~50 year old man for about a year who wore 3 piece suits and fedoras (at least three fedoras and a couple of trilbies, that coordinated well with the suits) to a t-shirt-and-jeans programming job.  He was also taking some martial arts classes, and always showed up to work on class days carrying a freshly starched gi in a small case.  With his body type and general bearing, it just fit, and anything less formal looked strange on him.  Nice guy, could chat for hours about computers, import beer and classic muscle cars, and could rip your arm off and beat you to death with it without breaking a sweat, messing up his hair or wrinkling his suit if you made it necessary.

Found out after a while that he had co-written a software suite that competed with one of the big names, they bought him out, and he had no need to work, but couldn't stand sitting home all day.  He'd spent a couple years trying to take enough classes to fill his time, but eventually decided that a job was about the only way people let you hang out at their place 40 hours a week without complaint, and a job he was vastly overqualified for kept his stress levels to a minimum.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »
We had the one special snowflake type. She was friends with the one girl who will actually make something with her life (she's got a lot of the millennial attitude, but she actually does know how to work and wants to do a good job) which is how special snowflake got the job.
Special snowflake was so skinny she was practically emaciated and she had no muscle mass at all. Supposedly one of her goals was to gain some weight and muscle mass while working with us, which should have been fairly easy. She never gained an ounce. She was timid to the point of obnoxious, she would spend obscene amounts of time in the bathroom where we later learned she was throwing up. According to her and her mother (yes, her mother, who for some unknown reason needed to interject herself into her adult daughters professional life) the throwing up was a normal anxiety thing and special snowflake did not need therapy for an anxiety disorder. Special snowflake went home sick on a regular basis, but would come in the next day talking about her and her father had gone to the movies.
The best was that special snowflake was afraid of me and her mother complained to my boss, asking that special snowflake not be scheduled to work with me. Mother of special snowflake also wanted my boss to chastise me for being so "mean". My boss pointed out that special snowflake was 10 times more productive when working with me, probably because she was too scared of me to pull her special snowflake BS when I was around. Boss gave me the green light to continue being "mean" to special snowflake.
Special snowflake finally quit by means of a hand written, in pencil, "resignation" letter on notebook paper... This part still boggles the mind. Who the *expletive deleted*ck writes a resignation letter for a menial job at small business? and if you're going to write it, at least do something more polished and professional than a scribbled pencil mess on notebook paper.
and did I mention she was scared of big dogs?  :facepalm:

Of all the millennials I've worked with so far, she was by far the worst. The rest... well, the biggest problem has always been the damn cell phones. Even the functional one gave me cause to want to chuck the cell phone in with teething puppies a few times.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 05:17:09 PM »
Who the *expletive deleted*ck writes a resignation letter for a menial job at small business?

Uh, me?

Sometimes you just want there to be no room for doubt.

Granted, it usually wasn't much more than the "F___ YOU I QUIT" I handed in to one employer when they insisted on a resignation in writing, but it was generally more polite.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:54 PM »
Uh, me?

Sometimes you just want there to be no room for doubt.

Granted, it usually wasn't much more than the "F___ YOU I QUIT" I handed in to one employer when they insisted on a resignation in writing, but it was generally more polite.

This wasn't essentially "F___ YOU I QUIT". It was several paragraphs about how she was thankful for the job and how much she had loved working with us, but it just wasn't working out for her. Katie read it and then made the comment to her face "You could have just quit instead of writing all these lies about how much you loved it here."  ???
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
This wasn't essentially "F___ YOU I QUIT". It was several paragraphs about how she was thankful for the job and how much she had loved working with us, but it just wasn't working out for her.

Ah, so it was a highly literary "F___ YOU I QUIT.  P.S. I also think you're dumb enough to buy all this BS."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 06:14:08 PM »
Ah, so it was a highly literary "F___ YOU I QUIT.  P.S. I also think you're dumb enough to buy all this BS."

No... She that bright. Sad, really.

I'm pretty sure it was something her mother made her do. It really came off like she was handing in her homework assignment.

Her mother is going to rule her life and special snowflake is too stupid and lazy to ever buck the system since she'll never have to put in any real effort as long as she does what mommy tells her. The result is that she'll never advance beyond high school level maturity.