Author Topic: Sears is selling the Craftsman brand to Black and Decker  (Read 3989 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Sears is selling the Craftsman brand to Black and Decker
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »
And they're closing a bunch of Sears and Kmart stores around the country, including the Sears where I bought most of my handtools over the years in Central Pennsylvania.

Bummer. Not unexpected, but still a bummer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/05/sears-kmart-stanley-black-decker-craftsman/96191312/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
Re: Sears is selling the Craftsman brand to Black and Decker
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
Interesting . . . considering that neither Craftsman nor B&D is the brand it used to be. I DO know that in the past, B&D was the vendor for some Craftsman power tools.

Just saw a video about using a router and a jig to finish an 80% lower - the jig makers made a video using a B&D plunge router, but noted that they no longer recommend it, due to poor quality control.

I have an older B&D router in which the switch failed, and B&D no longer made it, even though the switch was used on numerous B&D and Craftsman products. Poor product support. (I got another brand switch and made it work.)

And last year, I bought a DeWalt (commercial B&D) jigsaw from Home Depot - the blade kept falling out. So back that POS went.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
And they're closing a bunch of Sears and Kmart stores around the country, including the Sears where I bought most of my handtools over the years in Central Pennsylvania.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/05/sears-kmart-stanley-black-decker-craftsman/96191312/

Which one? I heard of the Kmart in Lancaster getting closed, with a liquidation sale starting Friday. Any other nearby locations?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »
I've always thought of B&D as "Kmart tools". I don't know what their current quality is. I know some parts of Craftsman have been going downhill over the years (I can feel and see the difference between my 30 year old ratchet and my 10 year old ratchet), but I still liked the brand. I wonder what will happen to them now?

I even still liked Kenmore for some appliances, but I understand Sears has been vastly outsold on appliances by Lowes and Home Depot. So yeah, not unexpected on the closings, but for us older folks, kind of a bummer. I still remember the Sears catalog at Christmas. Also going to Sears with the folks and them letting me wander around and browse the toys and sporting goods and tools. It was like a family outing. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
Going to be interesting also since I can get Craftsmen tools at the PX, but anymore Kobalt, Lowe's brand, is just as good if not better anymore for roughly the same price if not less.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
I don't know how Sears and Kmart manage to stay in business.  There's one of each in my home town and you won't see more than 20 cars in the parking lot at any given time, except perhaps the holidays.  Neither one is on the closing list.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
Which one? I heard of the Kmart in Lancaster getting closed, with a liquidation sale starting Friday. Any other nearby locations?

Capital City Mall in Camp Hill.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »
Going to be interesting also since I can get Craftsmen tools at the PX, but anymore Kobalt, Lowe's brand, is just as good if not better anymore for roughly the same price if not less.

Yep. I've been quite impressed with the Kobolt tools I've purchased over the past couple of years.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »
No loss Craftsman is *expletive deleted*it anyway.

Want a US made Craftsman alternative? SK tools or Wright tools
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »

So, what are they now?  A lame-*** clothing store one step up from Walmart, like Penny's is now?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »
Sears is closing one of their Tulsa stores that I know of but is supposed to be keeping the Auto Service part of the business open, it is in a separate building so should be easy to do.

Be interesting to see if NTB, used to be owned by Sears, or some other auto service company buys up the Sears Auto Service side.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »
Two of the three local KMarts are closing but the Sears store (and Macy's) are staying open.

That's a shame. I was just in the Kmart that's going to close. It was very clean and an altogether great experience being in the store.

Of course, that's because there were 3 other shoppers in the entire store, but still.

(And the prices were higher than the grocery store for items both carry, like diapers or deodorant...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »

Meh.  They don't even carry any gun parts.  The frickin' store is called Sears fer Pete's sake, so how do they not have gun parts?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
We have been getting Sears Hometown stores popping up in towns where their used to be a larger Sears store or a Kmart.

Seems to just handle Appliances, Home/Garden Equipment and some Tools.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
We have been getting Sears Hometown stores popping up in towns where their used to be a larger Sears store or a Kmart.

Seems to just handle Appliances, Home/Garden Equipment and some Tools.

I would bet that Sears could make a good profit if they'd drop their other departments and focus on those. Those are products that most people will want to see before purchasing and/or are very large for mail delivery.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
I would bet that Sears could make a good profit if they'd drop their other departments and focus on those. Those are products that most people will want to see before purchasing and/or are very large for mail delivery.

If said focus also included a full line of spares for current and prior models on hand, I'd agree.  When the lawn mower needs a carb kit, it's hard for Amazon to compete with having the part in your hand within an hour.  Waiting for it to be shipped in tends to turn into getting it then waiting days/weeks for another time when you can do the repair, then days before you can get out and mow.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
If said focus also included a full line of spares for current and prior models on hand, I'd agree.  When the lawn mower needs a carb kit, it's hard for Amazon to compete with having the part in your hand within an hour.  Waiting for it to be shipped in tends to turn into getting it then waiting days/weeks for another time when you can do the repair, then days before you can get out and mow.

And they send you a kit for mower model xyz123A-1 instead of xyz123A-2 and it won't work, but is close enough you question your sanity and fight with it for a couple of hours first before figuring out it is the wrong part.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
Meh.  They don't even carry any gun parts.  The frickin' store is called Sears fer Pete's sake, so how do they not have gun parts?
I remember when Sears (and, for that matter, Wards and Penny's) carried guns.

Their disappearance heralded the beginning of their long downhill slides.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
I think the only thing I've bought from Sears in the last 7-8 years was a set of stud extractors, which I couldn't find anywhere else locally, and they weren't even a Craftsman brand.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 03:52:30 PM »
And they send you a kit for mower model xyz123A-1 instead of xyz123A-2 and it won't work, but is close enough you question your sanity and fight with it for a couple of hours first before figuring out it is the wrong part.

That too.  Took me four tries to swap out the rear brake cylinders on the Saturn because the GM part number on the wrong one was exactly the same as the right one.  Thanks to three local parts stores, it was an all day job, but still a one day job.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »

Yeah!  And Sears Auto doesn't carry machine guy parts either. Jerks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »

They also don't carry vac-u-jacks and blow up sex dolls, which is, I'm sure, just another reason you hate them.  :facepalm:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
I remember when Sears (and, for that matter, Wards and Penny's) carried guns.

Their disappearance heralded the beginning of their long downhill slides.

I bought my first gun, a Charter Arms AR-7 rifle, from Penny's.  And I remember seeing handguns under the glass countertop at the Rockford IL Monkey Wards.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »

I visited one of the liquidation sales. The "clearance pricing" was normal pricing for Target or Walmart.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
Yeah!  And Sears Auto doesn't carry machine guy parts either. Jerks.

So you've been wearing out a lot of parts on your machine guy?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife