Author Topic: Air Force Oops!  (Read 2564 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Air Force Oops!
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:52:09 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Air Force Oops!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »
Meh.  The plane still had 87.5% of its engines.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 04:10:58 AM »
Reminds me of this story...

A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked." Air Traffic Control told the fighter pilot that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down. "Ah," the fighter pilot remarked, "The dreaded seven-engine approach."
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
The way the article is worded it would lead one to believe at first that they were carrying an engine in the cargo bay and lost it.  The engine didn't fall out of but off of the damn plane.

An engine fell out of a B-52 bomber during a training mission northeast of Minot on Wednesday.
:facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »

A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked." Air Traffic Control told the fighter pilot that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down. "Ah," the fighter pilot remarked, "The dreaded seven-engine approach."

That story immediately came to mind as well. "Okey, that's bad, but you have SEVEN engines left."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
In a wildlife refuge!  Shocking!  Damn engine could have hurt a Spotted Tree Owl ! Or a wildlife photographer! Or something!

I read it the same way in the first part, that the engine fell OUT of the plane, not OFF the plane.  I was reminded of this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_191

Investigators found that as the jet was beginning its takeoff rotation, engine number one, on the left wing, separated and flipped over the top of the wing. As the engine separated from the aircraft it severed hydraulic lines that locked the wing's leading edge slats in place and damaged a three-foot section of the left wing's leading edge.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 12:38:30 AM »

I read it the same way in the first part, that the engine fell OUT of the plane, not OFF the plane.

Of course. You read it that way because the author wrote it that way. Another product of public education, no doubt.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 01:16:19 AM »
It's one of those Splatt & Whitney engines.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
^If you're referring to the United Airlines Flight 191 incident, neither the plane nor the engine were implicated in that crash.  It was a departure from factory maintenance procedures some two weeks before in re-mounting the engine, which damaged the rear mounting pylon.  When it failed under takeoff power, the engine hinged itself upward on the front pylon, broke it, and went up and over the wing, causing damage to various aerodynamic surfaces and their controls, resulting in an unrecoverable roll.

See diagram:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/DC-10_engine-pylon.svg/1175px-DC-10_engine-pylon.svg.png

An interesting sidelight on the Flight 191 crash, apart from the mechanical details:

In the days following the crash, a man named Clarence Bean, Jr., claimed that his pregnant girlfriend, Diane Chorba, was on the flight, but Cook County medical examiners assigned the task of identifying the crash victims later disproved this. Bean was found guilty of her murder in 2001.[35] op cit

His victim:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1576dfmi.html
(^ Poorly written.  "Ollie" was Bean's nickname from his middle name, Oliver.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:09:54 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 04:09:02 AM »
While I lived in Anchorage, an engine fell off a 747 landed in the city.  It was pretty big news at the time.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1993/Cargo-Jet-Lands-Safely-After-Dropping-Engine-Over-Anchorage/id-fd11ca29f74027c36f647707836434b4

markdido

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »

How about the military retiree who was catching a Space A flight on a B-52.
Upon boarding the BUFF, he proudly showed the pilot his brand new single-engine private pilots license.
The B-52 pilot says, "Cool. If we lose 7 engines, I'll give you a call."
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »
^^^ Now that's just mean!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
How about the military retiree who was catching a Space A flight on a B-52.
Upon boarding the BUFF, he proudly showed the pilot his brand new single-engine private pilots license.
The B-52 pilot says, "Cool. If we lose 7 engines, I'll give you a call."
^^^ Now that's just mean!

Naw. Just ask the B-52 pilot if he did his standard pre-flight walkaround to see if there were live nuclear weapons onboard or skipped it like most B-52 pilots are known to do.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »
In a wildlife refuge!  Shocking!  Damn engine could have hurt a Spotted Tree Owl ! Or a wildlife photographer! Or something!

I read it the same way in the first part, that the engine fell OUT of the plane, not OFF the plane.  I was reminded of this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_191

I figured it was the Govt's response to the overcrowding in our national parks mentioned in the other thread.  Bombing........ yes.  Explosives...no.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge