Author Topic: Shooting at FLL airport  (Read 5897 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Shooting at FLL airport
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:02:00 PM »
Looks like 5 dead, others wounded.  Airport shutdown.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/06/reports-shots-fired-at-fort-lauderdale-airport.html

FLL is Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
Re: Shooting at FLL airport
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
In Terminal 2, Delta's terminal.

Airport shutdown still. Term2 evacuated again.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »
One shooter in custody.  Seems to be the only shooter.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:44:14 PM »
Current reporting says suspect is a U.S.-born Hispanic male, with military I.D. A handgun was used.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »
The suspect was identified as Esteban Santiago, Fla. Sen. Bill Nelson told reporters. He said Santiago was carrying a military ID, but did not elaborate.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
I wonder if the airport (other than past the TSA checkpoint) is a gun free zone in FL. In WA they are not. I have open carried numerous times at the airport here when dropping people off or picking them up and I have never had a problem. In the winter I conceal just because it is cold. ;)

I bet after this I will at least be shadowed by the Po-Po when OC at the airport if not outright approached and questioned. :(

bob

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »
There are a ton of police and tactical teams there now.  I wonder if something else is going on.

It seems excessive for a lone shooter scenario.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 03:15:56 PM »
I've seen reports of a 2nd shooter in a parking structure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
Various news outlets are reporting that the gunman had a checked firearm in his checked luggage on a flight from Canada.  After he picked up his suitcase, he went into a restroom, retrieved the firearm, loaded it and came out firing.  I wonder how he had a handgun in Canada.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
Various news outlets are reporting that the gunman had a checked firearm in his checked luggage on a flight from Canada.  After he picked up his suitcase, he went into a restroom, retrieved the firearm, loaded it and came out firing.  I wonder how he had a handgun in Canada.

It was an Air Canada flight from Anchorage.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
I just learned that a co-worker's elderly aunt, from England, was shot and killed in this incident.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »

I was just about to post wondering if their first move was going to be severely restricting flying with firearms, not knowing that his guy (allegedly) used a gun he checked. That being the case, I bet they're going to go for at the very least, no flying with ammo. I'm thinking that's something TSA or the airlines can do without even jumping through any hoops. I always carry my ammo and handgun in the same case when I fly with firearms.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
“Only one suspect is in custody at this time,” said Israel, who noted a BSO deputy had taken the suspected shooter into custody. “He’s unharmed, and no law enforcement officials fired any shots. The subject is currently being interviewed by the FBI … At this point, it looks like he acted alone.”

And cops wonder why taxpayers are disappointed in them.  They waste all the ammo on mental patients' caretakers and don't have any left for situations where it's needed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
And cops wonder why taxpayers are disappointed in them.  They waste all the ammo on mental patients' caretakers and don't have any left for situations where it's needed.

My understanding based on information so far is that the the guy emptied his mag, then laid down and waited for police. Doesn't look like it was a "firefight" situation - he surrendered before the cops even showed up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
My understanding based on information so far is that the the guy emptied his mag, then laid down and waited for police. Doesn't look like it was a "firefight" situation - he surrendered before the cops even showed up.

Reports are sounding like multiple head shots, and 13 total hits, so likely not hammering them out as fast as he could, and most commercial airports I've been to have a fair police and/or armed security presence at all times.  FLL ain't that big in terms of running (or golf cart) distances, so I have to wonder if they decided to hide until they heard a break in the shooting before going to check it out.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »
Every time I have been to my little local airport (GEG) there is always a police officer in baggage claim whenever there are people waiting for their luggage to arrive. I thought that was the same everywhere, I don't guess so. Of course since I retired from the Navy 20+ years ago I have only flown a handful of times and only once in the last 10 years or so. My time in airports is picking up visitors or dropping them off.

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 06:04:03 PM »

Somebody's already insisting the bad guy was a "white Hispanic."

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/01/06/oh-ffs-tariq-nasheed-shares-searing-take-on-fort-lauderdale-shooting-suspect/

Another Tweeter helpfully clarified that a "white Hispanic" is "a hispanic who did something the Left was hoping a white man did..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/06/sen-bill-nelson-identifies-suspected-fll-gunman/
Air Canada claiming neither he nor any checked guns were on their flight.
We confirm we have no record of a passenger by the name Esteban Santiago, or checked guns, on any of our flights to Fort Lauderdale #FLL 5/5
Delta Airlines apparently.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
His aunt, according to nj.com, said after a tour of duty in Iraq, he “lost his mind” and was hospitalized at one point for mental health issues. He was given an honorable discharge from the Alaska National Guard for performance-related issues.

In November 2016, he walked into an FBI office in Anchorage claiming that he was being forced to fight for ISIS and was sent to a psychiatric hospital, officials revealed.
He apparently has issues.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
It was an Air Canada flight from Anchorage.

Could not have been.  FAA does not allow international carriers to go from US to US airports.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 11:15:59 PM »
Moar pics here, including the alleged weapon.  Grainy pic, and I can't determine the make/model.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2554152/fort-lauderdale-airport-shooting-florida-latest-updates/

Anybody got clueage?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »
Moar pics here, including the alleged weapon.  Grainy pic, and I can't determine the make/model.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2554152/fort-lauderdale-airport-shooting-florida-latest-updates/

Anybody got clueage?

Why does it seem like the Brits are the only ones that can cover things like this reasonably thoroughly.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 12:15:57 AM »

Anybody got clueage?

Walther PPS with extended mag.  The mag release, takedown lever and little window for the serial number are pretty distinctive.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »
I wonder if the airport (other than past the TSA checkpoint) is a gun free zone in FL. In WA they are not. I have open carried numerous times at the airport here when dropping people off or picking them up and I have never had a problem. In the winter I conceal just because it is cold. ;)

Quote from:  FL Statute 790.06 (12)(a)
A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into: .... 14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or

It sure is a no gun zone.  FL Law Enforcement has repeatedly held that that first clause refers to any part of the terminal building, inside or outside of security.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 02:02:25 AM »
It sure is a no gun zone. 

Better pass a law to make it a double no gun zone. And fast.